Green Room

Scenes From Tim Scott’s Latest Fundraiser…And why Showing Up is Fifty Percent of the Battle [Picture Dump]

posted at 7:09 am on June 14, 2012 by

[Congressman Tim Scott with my son, Jackson.]
This past Sunday afternoon, my husband Chris, my son Jackson and I attended Tim Scott’s latest fundraiser in Charleston, South Carolina. I gotta admit, it was a surreal experience.

[(R to L) Me, Congressman Scott holding my son, Jackson, and my husband, Chris.]
[Congressman Scott, Jackson and me.]
Why was it so surreal? Well, two years ago, I took the initiative and did a lot of blogging on Congressman Scott’s behalf when he began his run for congress. (I even covered his birthday party, as well as his victory party.) When I first started showing up to Tim’s events two years ago (he would tell everybody to call him “Tim”), I noticed that his events were pretty full of loyal supporters, but they weren’t jam-packed from wall to wall with bodies like his fund-raiser was this past Sunday. At Mr. Scott’s most recent event, there was even a rock band, and a long line just to shake his hand and say “Hello”–whereas two years ago, you could just walk right up to Tim and say “Hi”. Don’t get me wrong, Tim hadn’t changed at all (he was still his sweet, jovial self), but the situation had changed–he was now “Congressman Scott”.

[(R to L) Me, Carmen Schachte, Bobby Riggs and Rear Admiral William L. Schachte, Jr.]
[(R to L) Debbie Lamb, Loy Stewart, Jr., Sharon Stewart and Jimmy Lamb.]
[Debbie Lamb holding Baby Jackson.]
[Chris, Jackson and me.]
[Me with campaign aide Michael Sally.]
[Me, Chris and Jackson.]
[(R to L) Claudia Bentley holding Jackson, Jackie Novak, Michelle Bentley and me.]
Then it hit me. Tim was now “Congressman Scott” because of people just like the ones attending this fundraiser–i.e., people who got involved in the political process in some form or another (by writing blogs, giving donations, volunteering their time, becoming precinct committeemen, etc.). In other words, getting involved in the political process is power.

In the show Game of Thrones, Lord Varys is famous for the following quote:

Power resides where men believe it resides–it is a trick, a shadow on the wall. And, a very small man can cast a very large shadow.

(See the embed below.)

The MSM would like us to believe that they have all of the power–that they can decide who lives or who dies politically. They might even try to discourage conservatives by stating that Republicans are “unenthused” by Mitt Romney as their nominee, or they might even go so far as to mock conservative activists by calling them “teabaggers”. Don’t listen to them–their power is a trick, a shadow on the wall. The real power lies with the voter/activist who actually shows up and gets involved. In the past, Congressional elections have been decided by a few hundred votes–heck, the 2000 Presidential Election was decided by approximately 500 votes in the state of FL. Showing up matters. And, if you sit at home on election night stuffing your face with Cheetos and complaining about how your vote doesn’t matter, you are ceding your power to decide who speaks for you in DC.

I recently wrote a post where I listed (and explained in detail) the five rules of politics as I saw them:

1.) NEVER cede the higher ground to your opponent when you are winning on an issue.

2.) People hate the thought police.

3.) People don’t vote for people they don’t like–i.e., mean people suck.

4.) Don’t eat your own–you’re wasting valuable time and energy.

5.) Stay away from conspiracy theories.

However, after attending Congressman Scott’s recent fundraiser, I would like to amend my previous post and add a sixth rule:

6.) Showing up is fifty percent of the battle.

Don’t ever cede your power by just “staying home” and not getting involved. Everyone has a talent. Everyone has something to contribute–even if it’s just a vote. And remember, even “a very small man can cast a very large shadow”.

[Baby Jackson with his favorite toy–a stuffed elephant.]
[Baby Jackson waving the American flag.]
Cross-posted at Right Wing News and The Minority Report.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

3.) People don’t vote for people they don’t like–i.e., mean people suck.

How does this explain Barney Frank?

Bitter Clinger on June 14, 2012 at 8:31 AM

Simple–people in Barney Frank’s district like Barney Frank (for some reason). We may not like him, but we aren’t eligible to vote for him.

Take care.

Susannah

Susannah Fleetwood on June 14, 2012 at 12:02 PM

To be realistic, one reason Scott’s events are more packed now is the presence of those seeking to use his perceived power for their own personal ends (mostly financial). Hopefully you and other real supporters can figure out who those people are. And I hope even more Scott can figure out who they are, and be on his guard so he doesn’t become another sell-out.

Marcola on June 14, 2012 at 1:14 PM

Top Pick

Going for the record

Top Pick

“We will answer them on the field”

Taking it to the limit

Sunday morning talking heads

Jazz Shaw Jun 25, 2017 8:01 AM

Health care and tweeting and Russia, oh my!

Will they stay or will they go?

I can’t imagine what I was thinking when I said that

Rocking the boat majorly

Big government never contracts. It only grows more powerful

It’s only a “ban” until it becomes inconvenient

The decline and fall of Obamacare and the AHCA

Jazz Shaw Jun 24, 2017 8:31 AM

This was all over before it began

Fixing crime in America is a complicated issue

Taylor Millard Jun 23, 2017 8:31 PM

Cops alone won’t solve it.

Democrats forgot all about the “era of good feelings”

“Bernie and Jane Sanders have lawyered up.”

Winning isn’t everything. It is the only thing

Trump signs VA reform bill into law

John Sexton Jun 23, 2017 2:41 PM

A new era of something.

“…died suddenly in less than a week just after his return to the U.S.”

The shortsightedness of “Denounce and Preserve”

Taylor Millard Jun 23, 2017 12:11 PM

Pragmatism for the sake of pragmatism doesn’t always work.

Perhaps if you threw in a new car?

Gay marriages still growing, but not as fast

Andrew Malcolm Jun 23, 2017 10:31 AM

More, but not as quickly.

Should’ve stuck with the pirate gig. It was working for him

The battle for the rubble of Raqqa is underway

Andrew Malcolm Jun 23, 2017 8:51 AM

Won’t be much left.

Your list of demands is a publicity stunt

“The jobs are still leaving. Nothing has stopped.”

Bad vendor. Bad! No cookie!

“So you want me to sing my praises, is that what you’re saying?”

Why would we possibly want that?

“I mean he sold our country to The Russians.”

I could think of someone else you might want to ask about…

Trump: I never made any recordings of Comey

Allahpundit Jun 22, 2017 2:01 PM

Bluff.

Hackers stole private data from election databases

John Sexton Jun 22, 2017 1:21 PM