8-year-old slashes fellow elementary school student in schoolyard fight
posted at 2:21 pm on June 13, 2012 by Howard Portnoy
A third-grader at a Bronx elementary school brought a knife to a fist fight. CBS New York reports that the child, whose named is being withheld, was arrested Tuesday following accusations that he slashed a 9-year-old with a double-edged razor blade during a lunchtime altercation.
The incident occurred at P.S. 132 in the Morrisania section of the Bronx. The blade, still smeared with the blood of the victim, was recovered by police in the school’s playground.
School officials told authorities that the two students, both male, exchanged words before the younger one reached for his weapon and slashed the neck of the other. The 9-year-old was taken Bronx Lebanon Hospital. His wound required stitches.
The alleged assailant, meanwhile, is being charged as a juvenile, which means his case will be heard in family court. He faces assault and weapons possession charges.
One parent interviewed by a local radio station said she was not surprised to learn that a child as young as 8 came to school armed with a deadly weapon. The woman went on to note that even 6-year-olds—children in first grade—“feel the need to protect themselves” and come to school “prepared.”
The alleged slashing is not the first incident at the school to make headlines. Earlier this month, the principal canceled the fifth0grade graduation due to bad behavior on the students’ part.
- Middle school student suspended for wiping hands on Old Glory
- NJ mother arrested for taking 6-year-old to tanning salon
- Dangerous new teen trend: Getting drunk on hand sanitizer
- Teacher tells 7-year-old she’s ‘too sexy’ for gym class
- Olive Garden mistakenly serves booze to a child—again
- Prosecutor blames mother for starvation death of Brooklyn 4-year-old
- Shock video of disabled teen being tortured by ‘teachers’ shown at trial
- School up in arms over student’s mural depicting ‘nuclear family’
- Special needs student dies after teacher makes him wear ‘homemade’ neck brace
- Father arrested, strip-searched after 4-year-old draws ‘man with gun’
- Sixth NYC school staff member in 2 months arrested for groping students
- School claims 7-year-old is racist for asking classmate about skin color
- Brooklyn mother abandons daughters, 3 and 5, on sidewalk, drives off (Update)
- Four-year-old brings marijuana to school, offers to share with classmates
- School accuses 6-year-old of sexual assault during schoolyard game of tag
- NJ boy suspended from school because Muslim girl overheard him say “Taliban”
- Parents lose custody of son they named Adolf Hitler, two other children
Recently in the Green Room:
- Obligatory Bill Clinton drew pictures of man parts on classified documents post
- Winning entry for HHS’s ObamaCare propaganda video contest: “Forget About the Price Tag”
- The Ed Morrissey Show on hiatus
- Health records ‘data security,’ Canada-style
- Good news from Piers Morgan: Obama’s a perfect physical specimen