Green Room

8-year-old slashes fellow elementary school student in schoolyard fight

posted at 2:21 pm on June 13, 2012 by

A third-grader at a Bronx elementary school brought a knife to a fist fight. CBS New York reports that the child, whose named is being withheld, was arrested Tuesday following accusations that he slashed a 9-year-old with a double-edged razor blade during a lunchtime altercation.

The incident occurred at P.S. 132 in the Morrisania section of the Bronx. The blade, still smeared with the blood of the victim, was recovered by police in the school’s playground.

School officials told authorities that the two students, both male, exchanged words before the younger one reached for his weapon and slashed the neck of the other. The 9-year-old was taken Bronx Lebanon Hospital. His wound required stitches.

The alleged assailant, meanwhile, is being charged as a juvenile, which means his case will be heard in family court. He faces assault and weapons possession charges.

One parent interviewed by a local radio station said she was not surprised to learn that a child as young as 8 came to school armed with a deadly weapon. The woman went on to note that even 6-year-olds—children in first grade—“feel the need to protect themselves” and come to school “prepared.”

The alleged slashing is not the first incident at the school to make headlines. Earlier this month, the principal canceled the fifth0grade graduation due to bad behavior on the students’ part.

Related Articles

Follow me on Twitter or join me at Facebook. You can reach me at howard.portnoy@gmail.com or by posting a comment below.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

Charter schools, STAT.

NaCly dog on June 13, 2012 at 2:46 PM

I wonder how many other kids at school have such things? And where do they get the idea to bring razor blades or whatever to school to protect themselves? Now will the kids have to go through a body scanner before getting into school?

Something simular happened to me at recess in the early 50′s. But the kid asked me to hold out my hands and close my eyes because he wanted to give me something. I did and he slit my left wrist with a razor blade.
L

letget on June 13, 2012 at 2:49 PM

Sorry to hear about this but I have seen and heard of similar things back when I was in grade school in the 70s. I’m just surprised this made the news when so many other crazy stories about similar stuff doesn’t.

redeye on June 13, 2012 at 4:18 PM

I sure am glad taking the 10 commandments and prayer out of the schools worked out for the best…

avgjo on June 13, 2012 at 4:43 PM

This sort of thing has always happened. It’s hominid behavior, not “taking the 10 commandments and prayer out of the schools”.

It’s the more secular countries that have lower crime rates, and the more religious ones that have higher crime rates, anyway, by and large.

Mitchell Heisman on June 13, 2012 at 4:46 PM

For example the Philippines — the most religious nation in Asia — has the highest crime rate in Asia.

But go to the Netherlands, and you see the reverse trend for a mostly secular country.

These are just two examples, but the trend holds writ large.

Even in the U.S., Christians commit more crime than atheists.

Mitchell Heisman on June 13, 2012 at 4:49 PM

Could you please cite regular occurrences of this ‘hominid’ behavior in the 1776-1950s in this country?

avgjo on June 13, 2012 at 7:42 PM

Your example as to American secularism and its effect on behavior is to cite generalities (not even statistics) internationally? Not per city, not by state, not in a contrast between time periods?

lolwut?

RachDubya on June 14, 2012 at 9:32 PM

Tell me, do you have trouble keeping the straws in your hand? Or is grasping at them the hard part?

RachDubya on June 14, 2012 at 9:33 PM