Green Room

Interactive product, Guitar Pee, converts urinal user into music whiz

posted at 1:33 pm on June 2, 2012 by

The magazine Billboard Brasil aims to please. And, gentleman, at the risk of destroying an old joke, your aim helps, too.

The publisher of the music weekly has developed a product that promises to relieve the boredom some males of the species evidently experience when relieving themselves. Meet Guitar Pee, an interactive add-on that converts an ordinary public urinal into a musical instrument. The product (pictured here) even looks like a standard electric guitar, with six steel strings, a pick-up, and a fretboard ending in tuning pegs.

The novelty invention was developed as a marketing tie-in to the company’s slogan, which is “Music. We know it comes from everywhere.” It will be featured in bars across São Paulo.

The device is programmed to play a different solo riff with each new use. So how well does it work? This video captures the product in action as well as the reaction of several users, some of whom appear surprised at the sound of music. If nothing else, the footage gives a new meaning tostreaming video.

CNET reports that the device not only creates but records your musical output. Once you’ve flushed, it generates a personalized number, allowing listeners to recall their user-generated content at the Guitar Pee website. There is no word on whether the company plans to develop a piano version for those who prefer to tinkle the ivories while tinkling.

Remarkably, Guitar Pee is not the first invention intended as a diversion during one of life’s unavoidable bodily functions. In April, Sega Games unveiled the Toylet, a urinal add-on that allows the user to play a video game mid-stream.

In the meantime, no one has invented a distraction for sit-down performances, which I suppose will continue to mean a reliance on on-throne reading for many.

Related Articles

Follow me on Twitter or join me at Facebook. You can reach me at howard.portnoy@gmail.com or by posting a comment below.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

Ha, nice headline HP, I see what you did there.

WeekendAtBernankes on June 2, 2012 at 2:30 PM

Oh man, Toylet looks fun. Especially the game where you use your pee to blow wind up a girl’s skirt. But then, the game where you use your pee to blow milk out your nose looks pretty fun too.

WeekendAtBernankes on June 2, 2012 at 2:34 PM

Just shaking my head, Howard. Where do you find these stories?

hopeful on June 2, 2012 at 2:34 PM

WeekendAtBernankes on June 2, 2012 at 2:34 PM

LOL. Now we know what’s going on at Bernankes on the weekend.

hopeful on June 2, 2012 at 2:39 PM

Sure beats playing “Dissolve the Urinal Cake.”

Just shaking my head, Howard. Where do you find these stories?

They’re out there. Sometimes finding them requires a little more coaxing than at others.

Howard Portnoy on June 2, 2012 at 2:42 PM

I didn’t read the whole thing, but it appears from reading your post Howard, this is just for the guys?

You do realize that there will be some groups of gals that will be all bent out of shape they don’t have this type of thing when they ‘go’? I don’t know how that might happen when we gals ‘go’, but you know how people sue for the smallest thing now?

OH I forgot, that guy/gal/whatever who wants to use the gals restroom and was told by the courts to let him/her/whatever do so, WILL that one sue for his/her/whatever’s in the restroom for this product?
L

letget on June 2, 2012 at 2:51 PM

letget on June 2, 2012 at 2:51 PM

Letget, I’m afraid this is standing room only–the device is designed to fit in and around a urinal. However, it seems to me that if women are willing to get bent out of shape (literally), they should have no problem using it.

Howard Portnoy on June 2, 2012 at 3:06 PM

“What’s taking you so long in there, son”

“I’m, um, tuning my instrument, mom.”

Bobbertsan on June 2, 2012 at 3:51 PM

Now my day’s complete

/s

koaiko on June 2, 2012 at 4:02 PM

I’d run like hell if I went into a men’s room and heard dueling banjos……

Renee on June 2, 2012 at 4:50 PM

WeekendAtBernankes on June 2, 2012 at 2:34 PM

I know the Guitar Pee is by Billboard Brasil, but those two descriptions were dead giveaways that the Japanese were somehow involved.

You must have never seen The Hollywood Knights. I’m sure Newbomb Turk could give you a few pointers.

“Volare! Whoa-oh!”

JimLennon on June 2, 2012 at 4:51 PM

I’d run like hell if I went into a men’s room and heard dueling banjos……

Renee on June 2, 2012 at 4:50 PM

Renee, should I ask what you’re doing in a men’s room in the first place?

Howard Portnoy on June 2, 2012 at 5:21 PM

Renee, should I ask what you’re doing in a men’s room in the first place?

Howard Portnoy on June 2, 2012 at 5:21 PM

get with the times… anyone is allowed to go into any bathroom now. just file a lawsuit for “discrimination.”

Sachiko on June 2, 2012 at 6:55 PM

@Howard
Some headlines just write themselves.

Sure beats playing “Dissolve the Urinal Cake.”

We can’t play “Bust the cigarette” anymore.

yongoro on June 3, 2012 at 6:18 AM

..and here I went and bought a Strat when all I really needed was to drink more beer…

chewydog on June 4, 2012 at 1:40 AM