DC Comics reveals that major superhero will be coming out of closet
posted at 12:47 pm on May 23, 2012 by Howard Portnoy
Suffering sodomy, Batman!
To paraphrase Red Eye’s Andy Levy, if you can’t keep your superheroes straight, you are not alone. DC Comics has announced that one of its superheroes that previously had been assumed to be straight will soon reveal that he (or she) is gay.
The comic blog Bleeding.Cool.com is credited with breaking the story, reporting on Sunday that DC co-publisher Dan DiDio reversed his earlier stated position—that DC would bring in a new homosexual character rather than “out” an old one—while attending the Kapow Comic Convention in London.
Senior Vice President of sales, Bob Wayne (no relation to Bruce), confirmed the story, claiming that DiDio’s view “had evolved,” much like Barack Obama’s.
This is not the first time a fictional character has been recast in some manner to comply with a social agendum. That would be the rerelease of Joseph Conrad’s 1987 novella The Nigger of the “Narcissus” as The N-word of the “Narcissus” in 2010. (Despite the name change, the title character, James Wait, continues to be a black man from the West Indies.)
So will the move by DC advance the acceptance of homosexuality among those who disapprove of it or consider it sinful? Probably not—but neither will it likely hinder the acceptance of alternative lifestyles, which recent polls find to be increasing.
For me, the big question is the same one I raised whenCalifornia passed a law mandating the teaching of gay history: Namely, how will this change manifest itself in the work? Will Superman (or Batman, or whomever) suddenly be depicted holding hands with his “partner”? Kissing? Expressing a fondness for Broadway musicals and antiques? I don’t mean to be coy, but I just can’t see how the storyline will change, for better or worse.
In the meantime, for those who can’t wait for the roll-out by DC, here is a sneak preview.
- Newsweek cover touts Obama as ‘first gay president’
- Obama was for same-sex marriage before he was against it
- A journalist’s guide to neutering the English language
- Time to ethnically cleanse English? Not a Chinaman’s chance
- ESPN erred in its handling of the Jeremy Lin kerfuffle
- School claims 7-year-old is racist for asking classmate about skin color
- MSM distorts news reporting in order to play race card
- That conversation on race is now needed more desperately than ever
- MSNBC selectively edits quote to advance claim that Perry is racist
- MSNBC catches Rick Perry using ‘coded’ racist language—again
- California passes law mandating teaching of gay history: Now what?
- California on the verge of mandating that public schools teach gay history
- NJ boy suspended from school because Muslim girl overheard him say “Taliban”
- From the “You can’t make these things up” department
Recently in the Green Room:
- Two House Dems demand Lerner resignation after using lobbyist to stage modified limited hangout
- Feelgood video of the day
- New liberal idea: Let’s raise $660 million online in a month to buy the LA Times before the Koch brothers can
- Of Course It Troubles Me. Are You Kidding Me?
- Friendly reminder from the White House about ObamaCare: “It’s. The. Law.”