Green Room

The Great Coming Out Party… DC Edition!

posted at 8:51 pm on May 21, 2012 by

Not DC as in District of Columbia but DC as in DC Comics, Inc. It seems like DC has “evolved” along with the President and decided to change a previously straight character’s sexual orientation. Now, I hate the fact that a significant minority of my posts here have been related to homosexuality in one way or another (there are other things I’d much rather blog about). However, this development cannot be ignored for a comics fan like me.

It may turn out a relatively minor character is the one they change. However, if they decide to mess with the top tier, like Superman, Batman, or Flash, then we are going to have some problems. These are important characters that have established histories and personalities and you can’t go changing them on a dime. A key part of Superman is his relationship with Lois Lane. It won’t work the same if he suddenly becomes interested in Jimmy Olsen.

Now I can see how they could change Batman into liking dudes (I mean, the Wertham Commission thought he was having “improper relations” with Robin), but despite that, some of Batman’s key subplots involve his flirtatious interactions with Catwoman and his issues with Talia al Ghul. A gay Batman wouldn’t work the same and he’d be a less effective character.

This dismay isn’t related to male characters only. No matter how much a part of me would like to see Black Canary spend more time with the ladies, she belongs with Green Arrow.

I think DC is just trying to garner publicity with this gimmick and that is what this is, a gimmick. I have no problem with a homosexual superhero character if it serves the story and he/she is interesting, but this is an attempt to get headlines. You attract and KEEP readers with well written, well-thought out stories and characters (gay or straight) that we share a connection with. You do NOT keep readers with gimmicks. Spider-Man’s black costume, while initially a gimmick, actually served to further the story (see Venom). Wonder Woman’s costume change (the one in the 70s)  did not.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

Not Jimmy… Superman’s love interests have traditionally had the initials L.L. I guess Superman coming out would put a new perspective on his dealings with Lex Luthor.

malclave on May 21, 2012 at 9:32 PM

Say what? Next thing we hear will be that the Lone Ranger and Tonto had something goin’ on.

Kissmygrits on May 21, 2012 at 9:48 PM

On the other hand…

jon1979 on May 21, 2012 at 10:16 PM

Why oh why does the culture celebrate this dangerous & unhealthy lifestyle? *facepalm*

Homosexuals tend to die younger.
Homosexuals tend to need psychiatric care more often.*
Homosexuals kill themselves more often.*
Homosexuals tend to get STDs more often.
Homosexuals tend to commit domestic violence more often.
Homosexuals get injured during sexual acts more often.

*”Because homosexuals are harassed!”
Ahem.
Atheists, Christians, Muslims, & other groups are harassed without the corresponding higher rate of suicide & depression.

itsnotaboutme on May 22, 2012 at 7:59 AM

Seems the running joke/bet is Vibe.

I’d not put it past them to bring back Wally West and make him gay, just to irritate the West fans.

The_Livewire on May 22, 2012 at 11:58 AM

If they want to introduce new characters and heroes who are gay, that’s fine. But rewriting existing ones to fit the politics of the moment is not cool. At all.

Cylor on May 22, 2012 at 12:01 PM

malclave on May 21, 2012 at 9:32 PM

They were good friends until Lex blamed
Superboy for the accident that caused his hair to fall out.

mrt721 on May 22, 2012 at 12:39 PM

Pardon me, but even if it’s a minor character, you can be quite sure I for one will object, even if I’m the only one on this entire planet to do so. I don’t know about you, but personally, there’s plenty of minor characters – both heroes and supporting cast members – whom I really like from both DC and Marvel, whose creators I thank for bringing them about, and it’s already atrocious to witness the vile abuse the people now in charge of DC and Marvel are heaping upon other people’s creations. My favorite minors include the Atom, Elongated Man, Black Lightning, Metamorpho, Jade, Jesse Quick, Firestorm, Firehawk, Spoiler, Flamebird, Power Man, Iron Fist, Ant-Man, Wasp, Warbird, Firestar, Vance Astrovik, and a good deal of supporting characters who’ve made appearances in their adventures too. And I want you to know that even if they’re “minor” that doesn’t make them crap in any way. It’s the quality of the stories we should base our takes upon, NOT the characters in themselves. They’ve already taken more than enough abuse from the uncaring scum running the stores at DC and Marvel’s book publishing, and if you stand by silently while it happens, there’s always a chance that the majors could be next.

That’s why I’d appreciate it if, even if it’s a minor character whom they turn into a closet case, please don’t let that deter you from saying you find it objectionable. Just because it’s a minor character doesn’t in any way, shape or form make it kosher to turn them gay and lesbian, and it’ll only guarantee that they slip further into the depths of obscurity.

Avi Green on May 23, 2012 at 3:43 PM