Green Room

Episode IV: A New Dome

posted at 11:49 am on May 19, 2012 by

Forgive my prolonged absence. I was out of town in our nation’s capital. However, I did manage to post this at my work blog (by the way, my opinions here are in no way affiliated with my organization). I thought you all might enjoy this.

The St. Louis Rams’ counter-offer to the St. Louis Convention & Visitors Commission (CVC) has just been released. You can read the proposal yourself, but the key take-away is that the estimated price for this upgrade is in the range of $500 million to $750 million, with $700 million as the more specific estimate. The breakdown between private and public money is unknown, but presumably the public portion will be substantial.  Also, the plan would involve making the Dome unfit for conventions for two years, due to renovation work. Needless to say, operators of hotels and restaurants in Saint Louis would not be thrilled with such an arrangement in the short term.

Before even discussing the merits of such a proposal, it is imperative to ask, where would the city, county, and state find the money to pay for this, even if they wanted to? The state had enough trouble balancing the budget for its current obligations. Saint Louis City is looking to reduce the size of the police force and Saint Louis County is laying off workers to balance its budget.

Also, would the public be better off with an investment of this sort? I already pointed out the conclusions of a St. Louis Federal Reserve study showing that the impact of public investments into sports stadiums was negligible, or in the case of Saint Louis, negative. In a book written by Roger G. Noll and Andrew Zimbalist, “Sports, Jobs, and Taxes: The Economic Impact of Sports Teams and Stadiums,” the authors conclude: “the economic case for publicly financed stadiums cannot credibly rest on the benefits to local business, as measured by jobs, income, and investment.”

If the Rams want a first-tier stadium, they should be free to build one with private funds, like the Carolina Panthers did. However, if they want the taxpayers to pay for most of it . . . then that is a problem. It is time to choose between what the city, county, and state need and what they would like to have.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

stl is a basketcase. Its a democrat hegemony full of insane and corrupt alderman. The police force is controlled by the state. The population has declined from ~1.1 million to just over 300,000. The faithful democrat machine and rank and file are blind, dumb, and not going anywhere anytime soon.

tom daschle concerned on May 19, 2012 at 9:15 PM

Trump: I never made any recordings of Comey

Allahpundit Jun 22, 2017 2:01 PM
Top Pick

Bluff.

Hackers stole private data from election databases

John Sexton Jun 22, 2017 1:21 PM
Top Pick

Failure to protect the city

Big man on the Middle Eastern campus

Biased Americans see media as biased.

Tough times down on the liberal ranch

Will Nancy Pelosi survive this latest Dem disaster?

Andrew Malcolm Jun 22, 2017 8:41 AM

Eat quick, before it’s gone.

Slow your roll, boss

“I’m bothered by the lack of emerging evidence…”

FIrst look at the Senate health bill

John Sexton Jun 21, 2017 9:21 PM

Divide and conquer?

You know, I may have cracked the case for you, guys

“They’re still running against her and still winning races.”

“…the suspect is from Quebec and has a Canadian passport.”

When the Left lost their way on immigration

Jazz Shaw Jun 21, 2017 2:41 PM

It wasn’t all that long ago, really

“I personally watched some of these students go up to Chief Brown, right up to her face, and call her all kinds of names, cursing at her.”

Did the Queen “nix” a Trump visit to London?

Jazz Shaw Jun 21, 2017 12:41 PM

More like wishful thinking on the American left

Sometimes it’s hard. This was the hardest part

Did the polls get the Handel/Ossoff race wrong?

Allahpundit Jun 21, 2017 11:21 AM

Nah.

Physician, heal thyself

Maybe we’ll stay home and watch.

Good lack of work if you can get it

GOP takes 2 more special House races, meaning what?

Andrew Malcolm Jun 21, 2017 8:41 AM

Two more demoralizing moral victories for Dems.

Not a murder, but nearly as awful

GA Election results thread Update: Handel wins!

John Sexton Jun 20, 2017 7:10 PM

Late night?

7 p.m. ET: The election to end all elections

Allahpundit Jun 20, 2017 7:01 PM

Endgame.

Dashcam footage: The shooting of Philando Castile

Allahpundit Jun 20, 2017 6:31 PM

“Sir, I have to tell you that I do have a firearm on me.”

“Military personnel had to neutralize an individual.”

Because that’s pretty much the same thing, you see

“Now is the time to be more visible.”

“If you’re frustrated by the lack of transparency in this process, I share your frustration.”

Uh oh.