Newsweek cover touts Obama as ‘first gay president’
posted at 2:06 pm on May 13, 2012 by Howard Portnoy
The title of America’s first black president had already been bestowed, on Bill Clinton, so Barack Obama will be forced to settle for second-place honors. The next issue of Newsweekwill feature a story on Obama’s heroic struggle (with himself) over whether to come out in support of same-sex marriage.
The story’s author, appropriately, is Andrew Sullivan, and the cover, unsurprisingly, anoints Obama as the “first gay president.” The doctored photo shows a rainbow-colored halo in place of the beatific one the magazine generally inserts above his noggin.
The copy hasn’t yet hit the market, but Newsweek’s editorial staff forwarded a preview of the piece to Politico, which follows:
It’s easy to write off President Obama’s announcement of his support for gay marriage as a political ploy during an election year. But don’t believe the cynics. Andrew Sullivan argues that this announcement has been in the making for years. ‘When you step back a little and assess the record of Obama on gay rights, you see, in fact, that this was not an aberration. It was an inevitable culmination of three years of work.’ And President Obama has much in common with the gay community. ‘He had to discover his black identity and then reconcile it with his white family, just as gays discover their homosexual identity and then have to reconcile it with their heterosexual family,’ Sullivan writes.
The article will be preaching exclusively to the choir, so there is little need for the Democrats to worry about how it plays in flyover country. The issue could end up being a non-starter anyway, with 60% of voters telling Gallup on Friday that the Obama announcement will not affect their vote.
Update (Allahpundit): Here’s Andrew Sullivan’s cover feature for the magazine.
- How much will Obama’s unlikeability be a factor in 2012?
- Other bullies, other victims
- Romney bully story shows MSM will shill for Obama again in 2012 election
- Obama was for same-sex marriage before he was against it
- Obama’s view on same-sex marriage can’t evolve fast enough
- Is Obama to blame for the polarization in country?
- Obama’s new gay marriage stance: Another thinly veiled ploy to win votes
- Poll: Obama approval ratings most polarized ever for presidency at two-year mark
- Gay college club’s condom-decorated ‘Christmas’ tree
- Lesbian teen crowned as homecoming ‘king’
- My gift to Newsweek: A photo gallery of other (than Bachmann) prominent figures
- CT high school play that includes gay kiss creates furor
- Gay advocates want NJ teacher fired for anti-gay Facebook postings