Viral shock video shows teen mother beating her 10-month-old baby
posted at 7:42 pm on May 12, 2012 by Howard Portnoy
With another Mother’s Day comes a sobering reminder that not everyone is cut out for the rewarding, if ultimately challenging, job of raising a child. The 18-year-old Malaysian woman captured in a video that has gone viral is way beyond merely lacking the parenting skills needed to care for her 10-month-old infant.
In the video, which carries a warning of graphic violence, the mother can be seen striking the crying baby with a pillow, slapping the child with her open hand, pinching its arms and torso, and kicking it.
The Blaze.com reports that the mother has been sent to prison for her actions and that the baby is in foster care and alleged to be doing well, though that optimistic picture should be tempered by a healthy dose of skepticism. A number of reports have been published that suggest that extreme physical abuse leaves lasting emotional scars, even when the punishment is meted out in infancy.
The video, which has received close to 1.2 million hits in the three days since it was uploaded to the Internet, is painful to watch. Liz Klimas, who posted a link at The Blaze.com, quotes one Stephen Boos of Baystate Medical Center’s Family Advocacy Center in Springfield Massachusetts, as observing:
I’ve seen so much worse than that—regularly—and then there‘s so much that we don’t see. So this is not uncommon in any way … It’s very common in our society.
A question that arose for Klimas also occurred to me as I watched the video for the first time on YouTube. It is why the individual filming the 4-plus minutes of systematic violence elected not to intercede on the infant’s behalf.
- Children arrive home from school to find parents dead in murder-suicide
- NJ mother arrested for taking 6-year-old to tanning salon
- Olive Garden mistakenly serves booze to a child—again
- Breaking: Ann Romney would be first ‘unemployed’ First Lady in 6 decades
- The left’s not-so-faux war on women
- Busted: Autistic child wearing ‘wire’ exposes abusive teacher
- VA teacher arrested for firing ‘blanks’ in class
- Special needs student dies after teacher makes him wear ‘homemade’ neck brace
- Father arrested, strip-searched after 4-year-old draws ‘man with gun’
- Shock video of disabled teen being tortured by ‘teachers’ shown at trial
- Bristol Palin open letter asks: ‘Mr. President, when should I expect your call?’
- Brooklyn mother abandons daughters, 3 and 5, on sidewalk, drives off (Update)
- 2-year-old child run over and left for dead in street in southern China (Video)
- New DNC chair calls GOP women ‘anti-women’; GOP females fight back
- 18 kindergartners die in bus crash in China