Green Room

Well, he came out and said it.

posted at 10:40 pm on May 9, 2012 by

Thank you Mr. President for doing what I asked. If now he would only throw a shout out to Farrakhan at the Convention, I’ll be a happy camper.

Karl has already done a great job writing about the politics of the President’s announcement, so I’ll just add a few stray thoughts of my own. From my earlier post, I posited four different scenarios concerning how Obama deals with the gay marriage issue:

1.) Obama is actually against gay marriage, but doesn’t want to tick off his Hollywood supporters and more importantly, he doesn’t want to lose their contributions. Those contributions matter, a lot. But who are we kidding, Obama’s for gay marriage. People actually opposed to gay marriage (like me) don’t say they are “evolving” on the issue.

2.) Obama WILL announce he is for gay marriage some time this year, but he wants to save it for a special occasion. I anticipate this occurs either a.) the day after the Republican National Convention to change the subject (the media will happily oblige) b.) during his speech at the Democratic National Convention (sets SOME sort of second term agenda) c.) during one of the debates (anything to change the subject and/or to catch Romney flat-footed. He’ll aim to have a “The American President” or “The West Wing” moment).

3.) Obama announces he’s for gay marriage after the election. He’ll have more “flexibility” and he won’t have to worry about the fallout from his fully evolved position.

4.) Obama doesn’t change his position at all, he continues with what he has been doing, never coming out in favor of gay marriage, but opposing any pro-traditional marriage initiatives that might come up.

Of those four, I said 2&3 were the most likely. I also urged Team Romney to put pressure on the President so that he would announce in May or June and not September or October. Now that that has happened (more thanks to the MSM than Team Romney, but a win’s a win), this issue plays itself out over the next month (what else is the MSM going to talk about). If Romney doesn’t get drawn into a back-and-forth over this issue, it will be pretty much dead by June, especially when the May unemployment rate comes out. Then we can all (try to) focus on Wreckovery Bummer: With A Vengeance.

In regards to Allahpundit’s questions from Romney’s interview, let me proffer some answers. In regards to AP question 1, domestic partnerships probably can be construed to include anybody and everybody. I don’t know this for a fact, but I’m pretty sure a man can form a domestic partnership with his mother if he wanted to, probably not the case with civil unions. Civil unions are marriages without the word “marriage” in it. Classic case of distinction without a difference being applied here and it wouldn’t take a liberal activist judge to declare prohibitions against “gay marriage” unconstitutional based on the Equal Protection Clause. There would probably be a lot more wiggle room for “domestic partnerships”. Not even a circuit judge in San Francisco would declare a partnership between a man and his mother the equivalent of traditional marriage (not yet at least).

In regards to Question 2, Romney is right, marriage IS a state issue (or at least it SHOULD be), but when you get activist judges federalizing state matters, then it forces things like the Federal Marriage Amendment to be considered. If the courts behaved themselves, a lot of conservatives (even the Socons-like me) would rediscover their inner federalist.

P.S. I got in a Twitter debate with Jodi Picoult about the merits (or lack thereof) of gay marriage. She seems like a nice lady, I think I won. Goes to show why we’re typically shouted down by the left.

P.P.S.-Evan Rachel Wood of “Thirteen” fame blocked me on Twitter for saying “Imagine” is a horrible song. She says she was left speechless by my comment. I just want to say, “Imagine” IS a horrible song. Listen to the lyrics, it’s the Communist Manifesto put to song. Don’t take my word for it, Lennon admits it. If that upsets a young Hollywood starlet, so be it, I’m still right.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

Emotions trump fact, it is the liberal way, who cares what the original artist admitted to…

hillsoftx on May 9, 2012 at 11:42 PM

“Imagine” is an endlessly parody-able and paraphrasable song, which makes it useful, if not “good.”

J.E. Dyer on May 10, 2012 at 12:53 AM

Hmmmm, let’s see…..how about the fact that the stock market has tanked for the past six days in a row? That more Americans are understanding the unemployment figures put out by the BLS is bogus? Oh, and according to the WH, the failings of our economic “recovery” are all Europe’s fault—-with a little Boooooosh thrown in?

I’ll take Obama excuses for a failing economy for $600, Alex

Rovin on May 10, 2012 at 8:21 AM

If it’s San Fransisco, I wouldn’t be too sure of that.

rbj on May 10, 2012 at 9:06 AM

i’m not surprised everyone’s blocking you on twitter, you do seem extremely annoying.

sesquipedalian on May 10, 2012 at 9:30 AM

Great job with your predictions, Mike!

Wow. Her poor eyes and ears must have suffered terribly witnessing this blasphemy from you.

Buy Danish on May 10, 2012 at 9:37 AM

“He hasn’t been serious.”

A familiar GOP pattern when in power: Squabbling

Andrew Malcolm Jun 29, 2017 10:01 AM

Not exactly teamwork.

Merkel plots confrontation on climate change.

Button it up.

“I repeat I am innocent of these charges. They are false.”

Just a reminder: People will die

Allahpundit Jun 28, 2017 10:41 PM

“Whipped cream’s killing more people than ever before.”

Medicare for all?

“There comes a point where you gotta get off the crazy train.”

Poll: Dem voters glumly sticking with Pelosi

Ed Morrissey Jun 28, 2017 8:41 PM

Disaster ahead?

“When she left it, it was in better shape than it had ever been.”

Manafort, firm registers as foreign agents

Ed Morrissey Jun 28, 2017 6:41 PM

Better late than never?

Delivered as promised

“I would like to think that the president saved many innocent men, women and children.”

“The Russia investigation was by far the dominant topic…”

The merry little media war continues.

Criminal enterprise

Politico: Has the SPLC lost its way?

John Sexton Jun 28, 2017 3:01 PM

“The organization has always tried to find ways to milk money out of the public…”

Trump legal team backing away from Comey complaint?

Ed Morrissey Jun 28, 2017 2:31 PM

De-escalation?

Time to get up and go to work, sir

CNN gets glum, defensive after resignations

John Sexton Jun 28, 2017 1:01 PM

“If Jeff lit himself on fire, it wouldn’t appease the pro-Trump media.”

Hmmm: FBI probing Russia-based anti-virus firm?

Ed Morrissey Jun 28, 2017 12:31 PM

“I wouldn’t put their stuff on my computer if you paid me.”

He works hard for the money…

It’s not a slippery slope. It’s a freaking avalanche.

Nuts.

Showdown: Sarah Palin vs the New York Times

Jazz Shaw Jun 28, 2017 9:21 AM

Defamation

Credit where creditor’s due?

More flash than bang, but a very bad sign

“Felix was out on bond after threatening another public servant and has a history of making threats.”

Chaffetz: House needs housing allowances?

Ed Morrissey Jun 27, 2017 8:41 PM

“There are dozens upon dozens of members living in their offices, and I don’t know how healthy that is long term.”

“This isn’t going to get a lot cheaper, it can’t, it won’t.”

“…what we failed to achieve with votes, we would do with weapons.”

“[S]o dumb it’s amazing we even have to have the conversation.”