Obama officials had drafted memo blaming military if OBL mission failed (Video)
posted at 2:31 pm on May 7, 2012 by Howard Portnoy
Liberals seem intent on burying the pesky remarks of former President Bill Clinton, who said in an Obama campaign video that if the operation to eliminate Osama bin Laden had failed “the downside would have been horrible for him.” It looks like they needn’t bother. Clinton is mistaken. If the operation had gone south, the administration was ready to pin the blame on the military (h/t reader letget).
That is a claim being put forth by Former Attorney General Michael Mukasey, who wrote last Monday in The Wall Street Journal:
A recently disclosed memorandum from then-CIA Director Leon Panetta shows that the president’s celebrated derring-do in authorizing the operation included a responsibility-escape clause: ‘The timing, operational decision making and control are in Admiral McRaven’s hands. The approval is provided on the risk profile presented to the President. Any additional risks are to be brought back to the President for his consideration. The direction is to go in and get bin Laden and if he is not there, to get out.’
Which is to say, if the mission went wrong, the fault would be Adm. McRaven’s, not the president’s.
The AG appeared on Sean Hannity’s show on FOX News, where he spoke further of a “highly lawyered memo [designed to protect the president politically.” FOX News has a transcript of the interview, a video of which is here.
- New Obama campaign ad spikes bin Laden football—again
- SNL kills sketch on Obama killing bin Laden, skewers FOX News instead
- TIME article selectively edits t ext of Obama campaign video
- Veterans for Strong America releases ad countering Obama’s bin Laden ad
- SEALs slam Obama for taking credit for bin Laden raid
- Can Obama really use his foreign policy record to help him win in November?
- The audacity of Obama campaigning on having ‘bagged bin Laden’
- Correction: Obama IS too cool to joke about
Recently in the Green Room:
- Video: Black Democrat-turned-Republican explains party switch
- Can we please stop glorifying pimps?
- “I don’t think you’d find…even a small number of Republicans voting for any kind of bill that has amnesty first and enforcement second”
- Photo of the day
- Programming note: Hosting the Hugh Hewitt Show this week