New spray causes instantaneous drunkenness followed by instantaneous sobriety
posted at 3:38 pm on May 5, 2012 by Howard Portnoy
You know those moments in life when you wish you could wave a magic wand and be instantly drunk? No? How about those moments when you wish you could wave a magic wand and be instantly sober? You can probably think of abundant examples of the latter scenario, such as driving home from a party where you’ve imbibed quite heavily and noticing a flashing red light in the rearview mirror.
Both sensations are now yours in what could arguably be the most pointless invention in history. Meet the unwieldily named WA|HH Quantum Sensations spray, designed to give you an instant, if fleeting, buzz.
The spray is the invention of French American scientist David Edwards, who unveiled the product during a recent Paris exhibition.
The website OddityCentral reports that the short-term effects are due to the discharge of 0.075 milliliters of alcohol with each spray. What that means in practical terms is that it would take 1,000 sprays to equal the alcohol contained in a single conventional drink—but with none of the pleasure.
And presumably at many times the cost. A small bottle of the spray will sell for around $26.
The site notes that the spray is “so harmless you could actually pass a breathalyzer test as soon as the alcohol in your mouth wears off.” Which raises the question of what possible purpose it serves. The post’s author, “Spooky,” theorizes that “it might help alcoholics get their fix without actually pouring gallons of alcohol down their throats.” Maybe. At least that sounds more plausible than Edwards’s explanation that the product provides “the same agreeable sensation as comes with a sip of alcohol without running the risk of drunkenness.”
Only, where I come from, the agreeable sensation of drinking comes from the flavor and other sensory qualities of the beverage. When the inventor comes up with a spray that mimics the sensation of sipping a 50-year-old single malt Scotch, he should be sure to let me know.
- Detroit Tiger Delmon Young arrested after anti-Semitic tirade, brawl in midtown
- Oreo ad of baby feeding on exposed breast slips past the censors
- Rich banker stabs cabbie, claims his $10K in taxes will clear his name
- Woman driver claims her 38KKK breasts saved her life in crash
- Woman busted for DUI says big boobs made her fail sobriety test
- SD woman breaks into home … to breastfeed a stranger’s baby
- Police charge dead man with attempted murder
- FL cops ticketing drivers who warn others of speed trap (Updated)
- NY news cameraman arrested for filming police chase (Video, Updated)
- Obama’s uncle busted for DUI, in country illegally
Recently in the Green Room:
- “I don’t think you’d find…even a small number of Republicans voting for any kind of bill that has amnesty first and enforcement second”
- Photo of the day
- Programming note: Hosting the Hugh Hewitt Show this week
- It’s come to this: Democrats now complaining that … the Senate hasn’t passed a budget
- Video: The worst pageant answer ever?