Pot-smoking mother who murdered children claims devil told her to do it
posted at 12:32 pm on May 4, 2012 by Howard Portnoy
The devil made her do it—literally. That is what a mother in Manchester, England, told a court conducting an inquest into the 2008 stabbing death of her two children, ages two years and three months.
The woman, Jael Mullings, was 21 at the time of the double homicide. She claimed yesterday that she “believed she was being pursued by the devil and how voices told her she must kill” her sons, Romario Mullings-Sewell and his infant brother Delayno.
According to the Daily Mail, Mullings told the Manchester Crown Courtvia a video link from the secure hospital where she is being held:
At the time Romario was born, I started suffering from paranoia. When Delayno was born I started to turn really psychotic. I couldn’t cope. I was getting no support from the children’s father.
From there it built up and became worse. I was hearing lots of different voices. They were telling me to kill the children. They were saying all these different things. I can’t remember exactly what they said. They were telling me to kill the children.
The statement on Wednesday was her first public comment since she pleaded to manslaughter on the grounds of diminished responsibility in 2009. She told the court that she feared she might lose her home, which fueled her paranoia, adding:
The TV was doing sign language and trying to say things to me. I was hallucinating. I thought the devil was after me. I was speaking in tongues. I was talking gibberish. I went into this religious mode. I had to do everything from the Bible. I felt I had to circumcise the children. I think it was the night before.
Later in her statement, she remarked she had “been smoking too much weed and smoking something other than I normally smoked,” which she believes may have been a contributing factor in her mental illness.
She also reminded the court that had tried to take her own life as well by stabbing herself in the heart, adding “but I missed and was too scared to try it again.”
- NJ mother arrested for taking 6-year-old to tanning salon
- Dangerous new teen trend: Getting drunk on hand sanitizer
- Olive Garden mistakenly serves booze to a child—again
- Busted: Autistic child wearing ‘wire’ exposes abusive teacher
- Shock video of disabled teen being tortured by ‘teachers’ shown at trial
- Prosecutor blames mother for starvation death of Brooklyn 4-year-old
- Father arrested, strip-searched after 4-year-old draws ‘man with gun’
- School up in arms over student’s mural depicting ‘nuclear family’
- Special needs student dies after teacher makes him wear ‘homemade’ neck brace
- 9-year-old dies after being forced to run nonstop for 3 hours as punishment
- Brooklyn mother abandons daughters, 3 and 5, on sidewalk, drives off (Update)
- KY mother says school abused autistic son by confining him in a bag
Recently in the Green Room: