Green Room

Pot-smoking mother who murdered children claims devil told her to do it

posted at 12:32 pm on May 4, 2012 by

The devil made her do it—literally. That is what a mother in Manchester, England, told a court conducting an inquest into the 2008 stabbing death of her two children, ages two years and three months.

The woman, Jael Mullings, was 21 at the time of the double homicide. She claimed yesterday that she “believed she was being pursued by the devil and how voices told her she must kill” her sons, Romario Mullings-Sewell and his infant brother Delayno.

According to the Daily Mail, Mullings told the Manchester Crown Courtvia a video link from the secure hospital where she is being held:

At the time Romario was born, I started suffering from paranoia. When Delayno was born I started to turn really psychotic. I couldn’t cope. I was getting no support from the children’s father.

From there it built up and became worse. I was hearing lots of different voices. They were telling me to kill the children. They were saying all these different things. I can’t remember exactly what they said. They were telling me to kill the children.

The statement on Wednesday was her first public comment since she pleaded to manslaughter on the grounds of diminished responsibility in 2009. She told the court that she feared she might lose her home, which fueled her paranoia, adding:

The TV was doing sign language and trying to say things to me. I was hallucinating. I thought the devil was after me. I was speaking in tongues. I was talking gibberish. I went into this religious mode. I had to do everything from the Bible. I felt I had to circumcise the children. I think it was the night before.

Later in her statement, she remarked she had “been smoking too much weed and smoking something other than I normally smoked,” which she believes may have been a contributing factor in her mental illness.

She also reminded the court that had tried to take her own life as well by stabbing herself in the heart, adding “but I missed and was too scared to try it again.”

Related Articles

Follow me on Twitter or join me at Facebook. You can reach me at [email protected] or by posting a comment below.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

I thought it was going to be Julia.

J.E. Dyer on May 4, 2012 at 12:46 PM

I thought it was going to be Julia.

🙂

Howard Portnoy on May 4, 2012 at 12:56 PM

why go outside the country?

A man accused of trying to sacrifice his 8-year-old son at Mount Hope Cemetery in San Diego pleaded not guilty on Wednesday to attempted murder and child abuse charges.
Ramirez took his family to the cemetery Saturday around 4:30 p.m. to visit his uncle’s grave.
As the defendant was setting up dinner by candlelight, he said it was “time for his family to go to heaven,”
Ramirez was heard to say, “It’s Daniel’s time to go,” before slashing both of his son’s forearms with a broken piece of glass, the prosecutor alleged.
As the attack unfolded, the victim was telling his father, “‘Don’t hurt me, Daddy. Don’t hurt me,'” Pirrello told the judge.

children if murdered are most likely to have been killed by a parent either under the influence or not. you’re no less dead if your murderer was high- it’s just a legal excuse for malignancy in order to garner a less severe penalty.

mittens on May 4, 2012 at 1:15 PM

I saw recently where pot smokers have a higher chance of suffering psychosis. This was a very solid study no less.

Hard Right on May 4, 2012 at 1:20 PM

why go outside the country?

As Zoidberg might say, “Also good.”

Howard Portnoy on May 4, 2012 at 1:47 PM

Hard Right on May 4, 2012 at 1:20 PM

And 21 is about the right age for a psychosis to manifest. I honestly don’t believe in postpartum psychosis. Usually some digging in the mother’s background in these cases finds her to be a “frequent flyer” in the local psych ward before her pregnancy, or like this lady, gave birth about the time her psych illness is due to manifest itself.

I am unsure whether marijuana use aggravates this, or whether it is self-medication by patients prone to psychosis.

Sekhmet on May 4, 2012 at 1:51 PM

Why the fear mongering with “pot-smoking”? Why not say, “ketchup-eating” or “toilet paper-using”?

Dante on May 4, 2012 at 2:58 PM

Maybe she was right.

Psychosis or demonic influence, like most “motivation” it’s pretty irrelevant.

Avoid risky behaviors. It doesn’t matter if pot makes you crazy or allows you to hear the devil. The bottom line is that its bad for you and can cause you to do bad/dumb things.

CrazyGene on May 4, 2012 at 3:04 PM

CrazyGene on May 4, 2012 at 3:04 PM

Less so than alcohol, a legal drug.

rickv404 on May 4, 2012 at 7:36 PM

It doesn’t matter if [choose from below] makes you crazy or allows you to hear the devil. The bottom line is that its bad for you and can cause you to do bad/dumb things.

CrazyGene on May 4, 2012 at 3:04 PM

Same can be said about sleeping pills, too much testosterone, too much estrogen, birth control pills, Tylenol with Codine, beer, liquor, wine, sugar, low blood pressure, high blood pressure, driving, and erections lasting longer than four hours.

WeekendAtBernankes on May 4, 2012 at 8:13 PM

Sekhmet, I saw the study after a public advocate of pot legalization changed his mind. It’s what changed his mind. No reefer madness in that study.

Hard Right on May 4, 2012 at 9:49 PM

Hard Right on May 4, 2012 at 9:49 PM

Beware of post hoc ergo propter hoc. The psychosis-prone may be self-medicating with marijuana. Which is also bad, because it’s hard to tell a dumbarse stoner from an incipient psychotic. The marijuana can mask symptoms. And once that dumbarse stoner turns 18 and turns out to be an incipient psychotic, there is often nothing that can be done before someone gets hurt.

Sekhmet on May 4, 2012 at 11:03 PM

mittens on May 4, 2012 at 1:15 PM

Because it doesn’t allow the sensational headline that blames weed for the death of two children.

Spliff Menendez on May 5, 2012 at 1:24 PM

It doesn’t matter if pot alcohol makes you crazy or allows you to hear the devil. The bottom line is that its bad for you and can cause you to do bad/dumb things.

CrazyGene on May 4, 2012 at 3:04 PM

You make it so easy.

Spliff Menendez on May 5, 2012 at 1:26 PM

Dante on May 4, 2012 at 2:58 PM

Not to mention the killer admits to smoking something other than what she normally smokes, but because she didn’t name the drug, the headline “Meth-smoking/PCP smoking mother…” can’t be used so the truth must be embellished.

Spliff Menendez on May 5, 2012 at 1:28 PM

There must be millions of psychotics running around, then, because there are probably millions of us who smoked pot in college and early adulthood, but I guess we must be “latent” because we haven’t gone batty and murdered anyone yet. And how do we explain the psychotics running around who have never smoked pot, but hear “voices” (or see dead people, if you want). One thing I can tell you is that I never had a hangover from smoking pot, but I’ve had a hell of a headache from going on a bender. C’mon, isn’t there enough stuff in the world to get upset about without trying to fan these flames?

College Prof on May 5, 2012 at 5:32 PM

So if someone claims to have the devil talking to them, it’s the fault of the pot, alcohol, etc. But if someone claims that God talks to them ona regular basis (regardless of substances used), as many here on HA have claimed, that’s considered pure religious faith, true-believer, etc.

Perhaps thinking some supernatural being talks to you and tells you to do things is the fundamental problem.

dentarthurdent on May 8, 2012 at 8:19 AM