Detroit Tiger Delmon Young arrested after anti-Semitic tirade, brawl
posted at 3:18 pm on April 27, 2012 by Howard Portnoy
Slugger Delmon Young may be a little off his game these days, batting .242, but his mouth is working just fine—a little too fine in fact. The New York Post reports that the Detroit Tigers outfielder, who is in New York with his team for a three-game series against the Yankees, was arrested early Friday after giving vent to an anti-Semitic tirade that led to a brawl in front of a midtown hotel.
According to the Post:
A panhandler wearing a yamulke approached a group of people to ask for some change—and that’s when Young, who was nearby, started shouting, ‘F–king Jews! F–king Jews!’
The incident, which occurred at around 2:40 a.m. in front of the New York Hilton, quickly turned violent. One of the combatants sustained scratches on his arm and was treated at the scene by paramedics.
Young, who sources claim was “highly intoxicated,” was escorted to Roosevelt Hospital to sober up. After that, he was taken to the Midtown North Precinct where he was booked and subsequently charged with aggravated harassment. He is in custody awaiting arraignment.
A spokesman for the Tigers, Rick Thompson, told the Post that there was no word yet on Young’s status or whether he would be available to play in tonight’s game at Yankee Stadium.
Young has a history of problems controlling his temper. Investigators are looking into the possibility of charging him with a hate crime.
- Trayvon Martin family attorney’s misguided comments on Zimmerman’s ‘stash’
- Cops rule out hate as motive in another alleged ‘justice for Trayvon’ beating
- Zimmerman released on bail; lynch mob issues death threats on Twitter
- Bloomberg tells anti-Semitic Wall Street Occupiers to clear out (Video)
- Black congressman who called Tea Party lynch mob doubles down
- Pew poll: Public now divided over Occupy Wall Street
- Rabid anti-Semite David Duke on OWS
- Black Muslim who sent anti-Semitic materials to pols killed by police (Video)
- SNL’s send-up of Al Sharpton misses the funniest joke of all (Video)
- Congressional Black Caucus declares war on Tea Party
Recently in the Green Room:
- Sunday reflection: Matthew 4:1-11
- Rand Paul wins CPAC straw poll
- Real question: Does Obama’s budget fund overseas abortions to protect endangered animals?
- Photo of the day: Crimea now belongs to Russia, at least on Russian propaganda TV
- Vatican: Pope Francis wasn’t talking about same-sex relationships; Update: “Civil unions” explained