Green Room

TSA two-fer: Agents manhandle child with leg braces, greenlight drug runners for cash

posted at 11:26 am on April 26, 2012 by

Busy, busy: That’s the Transportation Security Administration, which is back in the headlines for a change. This time, airport screeners at New York’s JFK Airport showed they are all business by brusquely handling a 7-year-old with cerebral palsy and—as a bonus—causing her family to miss its flight. Meanwhile, a continent away, at LAX, agents again demonstrated their business acumen by allowing drug couriers to pass through security in exchange for a cut of the proceeds.

Another Outrageous Invasion of Privacy

CBS DC reports that on Monday, Dina Frank and her family approached the security checkpoint at JFK. Joshua Frank, a Long Island pediatrician, explained that his daughter, who walks with the aid of leg braces and crutches, is also developmentally disabled and hence frightened by pat-downs. Having flown before, the Franks requested that the agents take the time to introduce themselves to the child and exercise restraint in their contact with her.

The response was essentially “nothing doing.” After inspecting the little girl’s crutches, agents subjected her to a full search. To add insult to injury, the procedure took so long that the family missed its flight.

Joshua Frank is quoted as saying:

They’re harassing people. This is totally misguided policy. Yes, I understand that TSA is in charge of national security and there’s all these threats. [But] for her to be singled out, it’s crazy.

The TSA has issued a statement in response:

TSA has reviewed the incident and determined that our officers followed proper screening procedures in conducting a modified pat-down on the child.

That’ll teach little girls from being born prematurely and with bleeding on the brain.

More Crooked TSA Agents

A screener at Los Angeles International Airport is in hot water after not only failing to prevent a man with 8 pounds of methamphetamine in his carry-on from passing through security but for making sure the courier got through unimpeded.

The Los Angeles Times reports:

The screener, John Whitfield, allegedly told the man to get to the back of the line so he and his luggage would get to the X-ray machines when Whitfield’s shift started. That way, he would be the one watching the meth show up on screen; and in exchange for $1,200, Whitfield allowed it through, according to a federal indictment unsealed Wednesday.

Authorities filed trafficking and bribery charges against Whitfield and three other current and former Transportation Security Administration screeners, alleging that they received thousands of dollars in cash bribes in exchange for turning a blind eye on drugs packed in suitcases.

A 40-page indictment details a half dozen incidents between January and July of 2011 in which the screeners greenlighted drug couriers, unaware that the couriers were undercover federal agents carrying out a sting.

The TSA has not yet issued a statement indicating that its “officers followed proper screening procedures” in selling out to dope pushers, but I expect one is forthcoming.

Related Articles

Follow me on Twitter or join me at Facebook. You can reach me at howard.portnoy@gmail.com or by posting a comment below.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

So while they harrass little girls and grandmas, they allow criminals through.
Apparently a $1200 would be enough for an Islamic terrorist to get through with a bag of explosives that looks like meth.
So much for protecting the country – just another day in Obummerland…..

dentarthurdent on April 26, 2012 at 11:43 AM

If only we had a president who enjoyed firing people and downsizing organizations. . .

rbj on April 26, 2012 at 11:52 AM

What was that Tom Daschle once said about the need for the TSA? You “don’t professionalize unless you federalize”. Can’t you just feel the professionalism in these 2 storoes?

Bitter Clinger on April 26, 2012 at 12:15 PM

storoes=stories

My fingers fail me again

Bitter Clinger on April 26, 2012 at 12:16 PM

I just got out of Denver yesterday, and oh boy, the TSA was in full stupidity there. I got the legal brow-beating for failing to pull my wallet out of my pocket, so therefore, patdowns ensued. Excuse me if I don’t want my wallet to go through the f*ckin’ x-ray for any joe-blow in line to whisk it up. These a$$wipes are supposed to be looking for guns and explosives that some jihadi may sneak onto an airplane… news flash: The line going to the TSA screeners was a roped area with 600+ people just trying to get through the f*cking line. What’s wrong with this picture?

This isn’t about protecting the public anymore, it’s about an agency getting to give people the shakedown. Disgraceful.

Turtle317 on April 26, 2012 at 1:19 PM

Turtle317 on April 26, 2012 at 1:19 PM

Along with the EPA crucify comment, these incidences are clearly designed to browbeat us into going along with whatever the government says. Not as crude as Syria, but with the same intent.

rbj on April 26, 2012 at 1:29 PM

Turtle317 on April 26, 2012 at 1:19 PM

Yep,
I had my entire bag rifled through and my toothpaste confiscated because the tube was 1 ounce over the limit in Portland.

1 ounce.

I also had to have my genitalia fondled (without a kiss or dinner, or anything!) since I was quite obviously a maniacal Muslim hellbent on getting my 100 virgins.

“The “terrorists” hate us for our freedoms”…… Yeah, sure they do.

KMC1 on April 26, 2012 at 1:51 PM

Now that the war-on-terror is over I expect any day now, that the TSA will be disbanded and children and women will be spared from public groping and humiliation.

Wait for it. Wait for it… crickets

WestTexasBirdDog on April 26, 2012 at 1:52 PM

KMC1 on April 26, 2012 at 1:51 PM

I’d at least have gotten a phone number… but ah well….

Turtle317 on April 26, 2012 at 1:53 PM

“An idea long overdue in my opinion.” – Jazz Shaw on citizens paying $100 to have their Constitutional rights violated.

Dante on April 26, 2012 at 2:48 PM

Turtle317 on April 26, 2012 at 1:19 PM

That’s why I always fly out of Colorado Springs. DIA is a crowded mess.

dentarthurdent on April 26, 2012 at 3:12 PM

KMC1 on April 26, 2012 at 1:51 PM

I’d at least have gotten a phone number… but ah well….

Turtle317 on April 26, 2012 at 1:53 PM

Or a drink at the airport bar…..

dentarthurdent on April 26, 2012 at 3:13 PM

“our officers followed proper screening procedures in conducting” searches for Jews to be sent to the Camps. Yeah, that defense, and display of humanity, worked so well a Nuremburg, 1946.
I hope they all die in a house fire, 2 minutes before succumbing to eyeball cancer!

hutch1200 on April 26, 2012 at 4:24 PM

But was it terrorist meth?

Smedley on April 26, 2012 at 5:39 PM