Green Room

Correction: Obama is too cool to joke about

posted at 6:22 pm on April 25, 2012 by

My bad. Last July I penned a column that challenged the conventional wisdom that Barack Obama was too cool to joke about. It turns out I was mistaken. Mediaite’s Noah Rothman writes that “opinion leaders” Jimmy Kimmel and the Chris Cillizza (a writer for the Washington Post) both recently observed “within 24 hours of one another … that Obama maintains a monopoly on cool.”

While I can’t say I’m that familiar with the work of Chris Cillizza, I am better acquainted with the oeuvre of Jimmy Kimmel, whose CV includes that laugh riot The Man Show. Kimmel may not know that much about politics, but he’s an expert on cool. A regular doctor of coolology he is. And according to Kimmel, the president is one cool daddy-o. OK, I’m exaggerating: Kimmel didn’t really say daddy-o.

He did, however, say in an interview with Reuters that “It’s hard to make fun of Obama in general because he’s a cool character. Outside of his ears, there’s not a whole lot.”

Hmm. Fancy that. So when Obama intones the names of foreign places (well, most foreign places—he says Afghanistan like everybody else) with the foolishly exaggerated accent of someone struggling to appear erudite and worldly, Kimmel sees no comedic grist. Nor apparently does he find any yuk potential in Obama’s many Bushisms (“I don’t know what the term [for wheeling and dealing] is in Austrian,” “We’re the country that built the Intercontinental Railroad,” Cinco de Cuatro”).

Apparently, wearing “mom jeans” and a fielder’s glove to throw out a ceremonial first pitch and then delivering said pitch like a girl doesn’t float Kimmel’s boat, either. And if you don’t see any humor in that, you’re certainly not going laugh when the president, posing for a group portrait of world leaders, sticks his hand up to wave just as the shutter is being snapped and obscures the face of the dignitary standing next to him. Anyone else committing  a boo-boo of this magnitude would seem like a gigantic doofus, but Obama’s coolness obviously spares him ridicule.

Cilliza agrees that Obama is too cool for school. Here he is on MSNBC’s Hardball declaring, “This is important, he [Obama] is cool. Mitt Romney is not cool.” Matthews demonstrates his own coolness by playing a video of Romney echoing Obama’s support for extending the current student loan interest rate and then asking, “Can you dig it?”

Related Articles

Follow me on Twitter or join me at Facebook. You can reach me at [email protected] or by posting a comment below.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

If Obama’s too cool to joke about, I’m slitting my wrists.

SagebrushPuppet on April 25, 2012 at 7:35 PM

Kimmel probably needs to start listening to his old partner’s podcast. Adam Carolla seems to have no problem finding things about the current administration to, if not make fun of, at least get comically irate over.

jon1979 on April 25, 2012 at 8:21 PM

Nah.

Thing is, they know that he is so damn thin-skinned that they don’t dare make fun of him.

This “too cool” crap is just a lame rationalization for folks who don’t want to get audited.

Uncle Pinky on April 25, 2012 at 9:56 PM

Eating dog is no joke

KOOLAID2 on April 26, 2012 at 1:12 AM

Doesn’t matter what either of these nonentities think about Obi-Wrong Baracki’s alleged coolness. One reason I don’t hear more jokes about him around here is that his presidency just ain’t that funny. Humor is fine, but this POTUS & his associates seem more likely to inspire rage.

Olo_Burrows on April 26, 2012 at 4:08 AM

Eating dog is no joke

KOOLAID2 on April 26, 2012 at 1:12 AM

I dunno. I’ve seen those dyslexic bumper stickers “In dog we trust.” Somehow I think the original story on dog- eating might have gotten screwed-up somehow. (Note: See Catholics and mandatory government provided weiner-covers.) Well… you get the idea.

Turtle317 on April 26, 2012 at 10:32 AM

What about “corpsman” and the 57 states?

stukinIL4now on April 26, 2012 at 1:44 PM

McConnell may not get his wish on health care vote

Taylor Millard Jun 25, 2017 7:31 PM
Top Pick

Senate leadership wants a vote this week, others say, “Negative, Ghost Rider.”

Top Pick

Helping others without the government.

“…the reality is the reality.”

These kiosks don’t make $15 per hour or need benefits

Going for the record

“We will answer them on the field”

Taking it to the limit

Sunday morning talking heads

Jazz Shaw Jun 25, 2017 8:01 AM

Health care and tweeting and Russia, oh my!

Will they stay or will they go?

I can’t imagine what I was thinking when I said that

Rocking the boat majorly

Big government never contracts. It only grows more powerful

It’s only a “ban” until it becomes inconvenient

The decline and fall of Obamacare and the AHCA

Jazz Shaw Jun 24, 2017 8:31 AM

This was all over before it began

Fixing crime in America is a complicated issue

Taylor Millard Jun 23, 2017 8:31 PM

Cops alone won’t solve it.

Democrats forgot all about the “era of good feelings”

“Bernie and Jane Sanders have lawyered up.”

Winning isn’t everything. It is the only thing

Trump signs VA reform bill into law

John Sexton Jun 23, 2017 2:41 PM

A new era of something.

“…died suddenly in less than a week just after his return to the U.S.”

The shortsightedness of “Denounce and Preserve”

Taylor Millard Jun 23, 2017 12:11 PM

Pragmatism for the sake of pragmatism doesn’t always work.

Perhaps if you threw in a new car?

Gay marriages still growing, but not as fast

Andrew Malcolm Jun 23, 2017 10:31 AM

More, but not as quickly.

Should’ve stuck with the pirate gig. It was working for him

The battle for the rubble of Raqqa is underway

Andrew Malcolm Jun 23, 2017 8:51 AM

Won’t be much left.

Your list of demands is a publicity stunt

“The jobs are still leaving. Nothing has stopped.”

Bad vendor. Bad! No cookie!

“So you want me to sing my praises, is that what you’re saying?”

Why would we possibly want that?

“I mean he sold our country to The Russians.”

I could think of someone else you might want to ask about…