During long-winded Biden speech, Obama wrote to aide ‘Shoot. Me. Now.’
posted at 12:48 pm on April 23, 2012 by Howard Portnoy
As was demonstrated in the recent Ted Nugent kerfuffle, the Secret Service (when they are not otherwise engaged), takes threats against the president seriously. Except when the threat comes from the president himself (or, in this case, future president).
Jim Geraghty, writing at National Review Online, quotes a passage from Jodi Kantor’s The Obamas that gives some insight into then-Senator Barack Obama’s view of his colleague from Delaware, Joe “Welcome to the Cracked Head Club” Biden:
Initially, Barack had tuned out the presidential talk, too. But he was just as disappointed with the U.S. Senate as he had been with the state senate—he had gone to Washington to do big things, but he was a junior member of a slow, rule-bound, Republican-controlled body. ‘Shoot. Me. Now.’ he wrote to an aide, in the middle of a particularly long-winded oration. (The speaker was Senator Joe Biden.)
The passage is also revealing of Obama’s youth and inexperience—the naïveté with which he came to Washington expecting to “do big things” rather than assuming the humdrum role of serving the constituency that had voted him into office and the nation at large.
It is also fitting and appropriate that the man whose droning on bored Obama to distraction would return the compliment after he was chosen as Obama’s second and command. Here is the video.
- Zimmerman released on bail; lynch mob issues death threats on Twitter
- Latest battle in the civility wars: Ted Nugent’s ‘threat’ against the president
- Joe Biden on partisan tone in DC: GOP makes ‘no room for compromise’
- Civility alert: Liberal radio host says tornado victims forsaken by ‘their God’
- Barack Obama’s ‘uncivil war’
- Obama campaign capitalizes on foul-mouthed Biden with profane t-shirts
- Liberals rejoice over death of Andrew Breitbart
- Another fight Obama is ‘willing to have’
- Civility alert: Waxman calls GOP ‘terrorists’; break Jan Brewer’s finger off
- Tea Party terrorists and the left’s civility pledge
- Biden to Gabby Giffords: “Welcome to the Cracked Head Club”
- Biden for president?
Recently in the Green Room:
- Two House Dems demand Lerner resignation after using lobbyist to stage modified limited hangout
- Feelgood video of the day
- New liberal idea: Let’s raise $660 million online in a month to buy the LA Times before the Koch brothers can
- Of Course It Troubles Me. Are You Kidding Me?
- Friendly reminder from the White House about ObamaCare: “It’s. The. Law.”