Green Room

Ann Romney said what?

posted at 3:12 pm on April 22, 2012 by

Remember how I wrote that Democrats seem to be living in the past, “when the only conservative women you were likely to see on air or in print were variations of Phyllis Schlafly?” What, you don’t hang on my every word? You can read it here. It’s in paragraph 3,045.

At any rate, when I wrote that piece, I was thinking in terms of Democratic “operatives,” the David Axelrods of the world, the spin doctors and spokespeople, who have been stumble-bums in the Republican War on Women war, the one where we’re supposed to hate Rush Limbaugh and his minions because they’re misogynists or something. Unfortunately for the Democratic warriors, every time the Axelrods yell “charge!” Republican/conservative women end up on the field, striking back with their own accusations of liberal misogyny.

My theory, in case you’re not inclined to read my original post—ahem—is that Dems miscalculated on this war-on-women malarkey because they still think of Republican women as variations on Schlafly, a good woman, yes, but someone one associates with a different era, when Donna Reed and Mrs. Ward Cleaver wore pearls while cooking dinner and deferred to their men on everything. Demure and retiring, they weren’t the types to yell “sez who” when anyone would question their ideas.

Little did I realize, however, that even Democratic women, youthful women who should know better, might hold that ridiculous view of conservative gals, as well. But it turns out, they might be just as prone to stereotyping as their menfolk.

Consider this: a few days ago, I come across a link on a social media site posted by a liberal woman. An educated liberal woman. An educated liberal woman who’s a college professor. The link was to a site claiming Ann Romney had recently said:

“Why should women be paid equal to men? Men have been in the working world a lot longer and deserve to be paid at a higher rate. Heck, I’m a working mom and I’m not paid a dime. I depend on my husband to provide for me and my family, as should most women… and if a woman does work, she should be happy just to be out there in the working world and quit complaining that she’s not making as much as her male counterparts. I mean really, all this wanting to be equal nonsense is going to be detrimental to the future of women everywhere. Who’s going to want to hire a woman, or for that matter, even marry a woman who thinks she is the same, if not better than a man at any job. It’s almost laughable. C’mon now ladies, are you with me on this?”

The poster shared the link with a message saying she’d “sort of felt sorry” for Ann after the Hilary Rosen kerfuffle, but no longer.

Now, did any of you here read the alleged Ann Romney quote above and for one nanosecond think she could have said that?  Mrs. Romney would have to be phenomenally backwards or phenomenally stupid, or both, to have uttered those words.

I don’t know Mrs. Romney, of course, but I have a hard time believing the spouse of any presidential candidate could be so feckless to utter such statements. The Snopes alarm was ringing in my head by word six.

Yet this liberal college prof swallowed all the words whole. Apparently, so did someone at Daily Kos, too (don’t go looking for the page; they took it down).

To their credit, some liberal bloggers pointed out the statements were satire and that Kos had been fooled by them. And the college prof poster took down the link when the truth was pointed out to her.

But let’s think a moment about the duped. What does this reveal about them, that they’d reflexively believe such ridiculous statements came from a Republican woman’s mouth and mind?

I think it demonstrates just how low their opinion of conservative women is—in their heart of hearts, they believe that we’re mindless, stupid, starry-eyed Barbies ready to take our marching orders from the Kens in our lives. Good grief, but that’s offensive.

As I’ve said before, there is a War on Women out there. But it’s being waged by the liberals against conservative women.

____

Libby Sternberg is a novelist. She occasionally blogs at Center Right Side. Her book website is here.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

Women don’t get paid less than men do for equal effort.
Stop buying into the bullshit.

Mimzey on April 22, 2012 at 3:56 PM

What’s the saying ” to good to check” They so want it to be true that they just jump off the cliff. It’s good to know that this woman teaches. I wonder what kinds of wisdom she shines on her students.

Greed on April 22, 2012 at 4:01 PM

Further evidence for that recent argument that liberals have a harder time understanding the conservative philosophy than vice versa.

JimLennon on April 22, 2012 at 4:09 PM

Greed on April 22, 2012 at 4:01 PM

Exactly. When I hear damning statements, I triple source them to see if they are accurate and I’m a layman! They WANT it to be true, so they run with it.

thebrokenrattle on April 22, 2012 at 4:37 PM

JimLennon on April 22, 2012 at 4:09 PM

I found the original source of this “satire” and read all of the comments below it. So many liberals found it to be totally credible that Ann Romney said it. Even after it was pointed out as satire and totally untrue, they claimed that it sounded so much like the rest of what conservatives say that she probably thought it.

The problem with liberals is that they have very little understanding of human nature. It was found in the research noted by Jim that liberals have a very shallow understanding in the basic concepts that govern people’s instinctual behavior. It’s why they don’t understand economics and tend to shy away from religious principles.

I myself have reached a point that if I come across a very liberal person I don’t even waste my time trying to debate or teach them. I now aim at those who don’t pay too much attention and tend to be on the fence. At least they are reachable with common sense.

Ronaldusmax on April 22, 2012 at 4:45 PM

It does not reflect well on readers’ analytical skills if they do not recognize that as a parody by the end.

Count to 10 on April 22, 2012 at 4:53 PM

And as per the usual “Liberal” modus operandi this prejudice is not talked about or reported, or used as a “teachable moment” (I just threw up in my mouth a little), instead it just gets a free pass.

“Liberals” don’t want what you want, they want what they want. And what they want, nobody but the very select few want.

KMC1 on April 22, 2012 at 4:56 PM

Yep, I saw this posted on facebook by a duped liberal male friend who declared that Ann Romney is a “moron” – only to get tons of “likes” and high five comments. Oh the irony!

Count to 10 on April 22, 2012 at 4:53 PM

Yep, it’s not like there weren’t lotsa clues on the website. Oh wait!

Buy Danish on April 22, 2012 at 5:01 PM

Team Romney needs to beat back every lie with vigor, but you can never underestimate the idiocy of some leftists moonbats who will swallow it nonetheless.

galtani on April 22, 2012 at 5:38 PM

Huh? Sounds spot on to me.

Akzed on April 22, 2012 at 7:28 PM

We have an opportunity if we can capitalize on it. It would be great if the R’s or one of the PACs could produce a video aimed at Dem women that shows conservative women in a way that breaks the liberal stereotype. Many Dems have been brainwashed. I’m not talking about the political class but the everyday Dems who may even sense that their party has been taken over by a different element. There are probably a lot of women who reflexively vote Dem but hold at least some conservative values. If we could remove the scales from just a few eyes – of professors like the one who posted at Kos – their testimony would be listened to by reachable Dem women far more than from hearing anyone on our side.

The recent research showing libs don’t understand conservatives well is part of this opportunity. We can deservedly enjoy the validation of what we have long known, but finding a way to use it to convert women over to our side would be even better. Sure, some far lefties will not be convertible, but with the right framing perhaps we could open some eyes. Given how poorly Obama has done the timing might be right.

Mayday on April 22, 2012 at 8:51 PM

Wow. Snopes is no friend to conservatives, but that is usually my jumping off point when the ol’ BS-detector starts beeping.

I’ve only caught two of Libby’s pieces, but both were excellent.

Laura in Maryland on April 22, 2012 at 11:02 PM

It was not a true quote and it was not satire though it was presented as such. They knew some would take it as true and not worth checking and once anything is put out it becomes part of any google search. It is a form of nasty internet rumor mongering. Most people read something and just move on to the next story. This professor is a liberal and despite her degrees , does not practice critical thinking.

dunce on April 23, 2012 at 12:31 AM

Yes, OF COURSE the War-on-Women is being waged by liberals against conservative women. OF COURSE it is. All one need do for proof of this is listen to mere minutes of one of a number of broadcasts that host liberal females opining about anything — sooner than later they will rely on unsound and even disproven negative stereotypes about ‘women’ and who they MEAN by ‘women’ is ‘conservative women’.

Even FOX now hosts numbers of these liberals with this irrational opining.

Lourdes on April 23, 2012 at 12:39 AM

dunce on April 23, 2012 at 12:31 AM

There are so many of them…

Lourdes on April 23, 2012 at 12:40 AM

This and the endless speculation over “dog whistles” shows how fruitless honest debate with hard core leftists is. Even if a conservative candidate does nothing and says nothing resembling the retrograde conservative of their fantasies, they will make up facts, hear “dog whistles” and basically create an entirely different reality to justify their, well, hate. Until they actually look at themselves in the mirror and confront just how far off the deep end they’ve strayed, they will still find it totally believable that Ann Romney said those words or that Sarah Palin charged hospitals for rape kits and tried to ban Harry Potter. And honest debate is just not possible with those who believe they are not only entitled to their own opinions, but their own facts.

PerceptorII on April 23, 2012 at 8:16 AM

Yep, it’s not like there weren’t lotsa clues on the website. Oh wait!

Buy Danish on April 22, 2012 at 5:01 PM

You know, after seeing all the “articles” (like GOP: should women get the vote, and a half-dozen even more rediculous) the only way a person could have been fooled by that quote on that site is if they either: 1) didn’t bother paying attention to literally every single other thing on the page (including thumnail pictures of only a quarter of a person’s face) or 2) notice, yet actually believe every single thing on the page.

I’m still not sure which is worse.

DrAllecon on April 23, 2012 at 11:41 AM

What this was I suspect is that this is actually a test script for an upcoming SNL skit…. that they were going to do…. sort of in the same way that Tiny Fey was busy each week making crap up about Sarah Palin… and the mind numb morons on the left ate it up and believed every single word…. TRIAL balloons from the left will tell you all just exactly where they are heading.

Lies on top of lies covered with little baby sprinkle lies on top!

ActinUpinTexas on April 23, 2012 at 9:17 PM