Green Room

Oreo ad of baby feeding on exposed breast slips past the censors

posted at 3:54 pm on April 21, 2012 by

Kraft Foods is crying over spilled milk, but, contrary to the popular adage, the company may have something to cry about. An ad showing a baby of Asian extraction holding an Oreo cookie as it nurses on an exposed human breast was accidentally released.

The image has making the Internet rounds, usually with a geometric shape surprinted over the woman’s otherwise visible nipple. (The uncensored version can be viewed by clicking here.)

CBS St. Louis was told by a spokesperson for Kraft that the ad was not intended for mass public consumption:

‘We’d like to clarify that Kraft Foods did not create this visual,’ a spokesperson said in a statement via e-mail. ‘In fact, this visual was created by our agency for a one-time use at an advertising awards program.’

The spokesperson added, ‘It was never intended for public distribution or use with consumers. And it has never run in Korea or any other markets.’

The caption at the bottom of the ad reads, “Milk’s favorite cookie,” employing the tagline in a current campaign for this popular product.

The problem that Kraft is encountering affords a cautionary tale about the World Wide Web, which might be more appropriately be dubbed the World Wide Octopus. Its tentacles are everywhere and impossible to avoid.

Related Articles

Follow me on Twitter or join me at Facebook. You can reach me at howard.portnoy@gmail.com or by posting a comment below.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

And what is wrong with the uncensored pic? A gazillion women do that every day all over the planet.

Johnnyreb on April 21, 2012 at 4:21 PM

And what is wrong with the uncensored pic?

I have no problem with it. Kraft, however, does. So apparently do countless people who find the sight of a breast objectionable in public.

Howard Portnoy on April 21, 2012 at 4:36 PM

well Howard!

I’m laughing! countless people who find the sight of a breast objectionable in public only find it so because they (ok ok ok me too) didn’t have to pay the cover charge at the door.

teejk on April 21, 2012 at 4:55 PM

Howard Portnoy on April 21, 2012 at 4:36 PM

Well then they just ain’t right.

arnold ziffel on April 21, 2012 at 5:38 PM

Johnnyreb on April 21, 2012 at 4:21 PM

I am a father. I have actually witnessed nursing babies on an actual breast. IN MY OWN HOUSE! Also, the neighbor’s dog has puppies. My kids were over there yesterday and actually SAW THEM NURSING! I am afraid we are all scarred for life.

crosspatch on April 21, 2012 at 8:29 PM

It looks like the baby is trying to make a tough decision.

cozmo on April 21, 2012 at 9:35 PM

Johnnyreb on April 21, 2012 at 4:21 PM

The problem is that the baby has an improper latch so therefore will not be getting enough milk, possibly causing clogging of the milk ducts, and soreness. :)

theblackcommenter on April 21, 2012 at 10:17 PM

Am I wrong that I’m jealous of the baby’s choice?

The_Livewire on April 21, 2012 at 11:10 PM

I like milk and cookies.

BigAlSouth on April 22, 2012 at 6:18 AM

Correct me if I’m wrong, but there are a number of countries where bare breasts are not considered particularly indecent. In Japan, they often show up in broadcast television shows intended for teens and young adults.

Count to 10 on April 22, 2012 at 7:52 AM

Howard Portnoy on April 21, 2012 at 4:36 PM

i’m a big fan of bottle-feeding-my son was a bottle baby-an have no desire to see teat-feeding in public or in ads.
*I’m tired of lactivists calling those of us who chose to bottle-feed ‘bad mothers’. That’s why I’m so militant about it

annoyinglittletwerp on April 22, 2012 at 8:18 AM

I have two problems with this ad. The first is the obvious airbrushing of the baby’s face. Not a single flaw! Second, the Oreo cannot be real. Too perfect.

lilacs on April 22, 2012 at 9:40 AM

That’s all well and good, but how does he dip the Oreo into the milk?

Siddhartha Vicious on April 22, 2012 at 12:01 PM

I think I will go out and by a package of Oreos.

duggersd on April 22, 2012 at 12:32 PM

I should have known that this article’s comments would include someone complaining about the completely unrelated imaginary discrimination against bottle feeding moms.

Pro-tip: if you don’t want to see it, don’t click the link in the article. If you don’t want to read about it, don’t click the title of the article to start with.

At least you acknowledge that it’s you who is militant.

RachDubya on April 22, 2012 at 1:16 PM

I don’t believe this was unintentional. It’s generating a whole lot of free publicity for Oreos, about a natural act, while giving Kraft the “out” of it being “never intended for release.”

rbj on April 22, 2012 at 1:29 PM

I don’t give a darn about whether you feed your kids with your boobs or a bottle. Just please quit acting like you should be exempt from decency expectations, or like a martyr when people say “eww, please do that somewhere else.”

MelonCollie on April 22, 2012 at 3:06 PM

duggersd on April 22, 2012 at 12:32 PM

I went by a package of Oreos once . . .

BigAlSouth on April 22, 2012 at 3:21 PM

Oh please the Ad was never hung on a billboard or printed in a magazine. Some clown posted it somewhere and probably showed up on some google image search. It’s funny and reposted. I wonder how many people actively searched for this image to be “offended”. I think it’s a great ad to have in some mommy/parenting mag.

Greed on April 22, 2012 at 4:16 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on April 22, 2012 at 8:18 AM

Who does this?

cptacek on April 22, 2012 at 4:31 PM

lactivists

annoyinglittletwerp on April 22, 2012 at 8:18 AM

LOL!

WeekendAtBernankes on April 22, 2012 at 8:05 PM

It’s Costanza’s dream.

WeekendAtBernankes on April 22, 2012 at 8:06 PM

I wonder if it really ‘slipped past’, or if the censors kept quiet for fear of whining from the Order of the Holy Boob.

MelonCollie on April 22, 2012 at 10:40 PM

MelonCollie on April 22, 2012 at 10:40 PM

Who are you talking about?

cptacek on April 22, 2012 at 10:47 PM

RachDubya on April 22, 2012 at 1:16 PM

Ah-HA’s high priestess of Lacativism shoves her chest into the fray.
*There’s absolutely ZERO love lost between me and Miz Dub. MANY moons ago we were FB friends. She seems to think there’s something pure and holy about those who choose to let an infant suck on their chest. There’s isn’t. It’s just another choice.*

annoyinglittletwerp on April 23, 2012 at 1:07 AM

Who does this?

cptacek on April 22, 2012 at 4:31 PM

Rach Dubya has done it.
Groups like LaLeche League want hospitals to no longer offer formula samples to new moms etc. If a woman wants to bottle-feed it’s HER choice and that choice does NOT make her a bad mother.

annoyinglittletwerp on April 23, 2012 at 1:12 AM

Ok, didn’t know you had a personal vendetta with a particular commentor.

Just like you don’t like to be told you are a bad mother for not breastfeeding, I don’t like being compared to a cow because I do, and told to stay in the house until my child is weaned.

cptacek on April 23, 2012 at 1:21 PM

If you have sexualized breastfeeding moms it’s not their problem, it’s yours. If you don’t like to see humans caring for their children, you are the one who should stay home.

If you bottle fed your children that’s your choice. But you should be honest with yourself about why you made that decision.

phadedjaded on April 23, 2012 at 3:56 PM

Ah-HA’s high priestess of Lacativism shoves her chest into the fray.

annoyinglittletwerp on April 23, 2012 at 1:07 AM

You clicked on a thread about a topic that admittedly disgusts you in the hope that you’d get the chance to complain about others’ parenting choices. No one cares about your decisions. I know you have a hard time accepting it, but no one has ever lost sleep at night over the parenting choices. I’m flattered that you see breastfeeding an immediately think of my successes in helping other moms nurse, but in case you skipped straight to the comments to complain about lactivists, that’s not actually what the article is about.

Ok, didn’t know you had a personal vendetta with a particular commentor.

cptacek on April 23, 2012 at 1:21 PM

No one has ever told her she’s a bad mom for not breastfeeding. She endured the horror of seeing it mentioned and has flipped out about the topic every time it’s even halfway mentioned. Better watch out or you’ll be living rent free in her head alongside my breasts.

RachDubya on April 23, 2012 at 4:05 PM

I think the ad is funny and that is one sweet pair of titties. I can’t think of too many things more beautiful and innocent that an infant nursing. Lucky baby.

The people who have a problem with this ad are prudes. They should get over it.

woodNfish on April 23, 2012 at 4:31 PM

Good thing that baby’s not a newborn or the ad would be totally unrealistic. Think cracked, bleeding nipples that hurt so bad when baby latches that the mother’s tears drop onto his head.

Breastfeeding is not always beautiful, but I endured it for a couple of months with each baby. That’s all I could take.

A lactivist I am not. I say, to each mom her own.

Grace_is_sufficient on April 23, 2012 at 9:20 PM

I think it’s a great ad, and I can see my son especially having the same dilemma–mom or cookie. The cookies and milk tie-in is hilarious.

My kids all grew up seeing babies being nursed, so boobs weren’t any big deal to them, although I expect my son appreciates them from a more adult perspective now. :)

Bob's Kid on April 23, 2012 at 11:59 PM

phadedjaded on April 23, 2012 at 3:56 PM

That’s more BS than a used diaper. “Humans caring for their children” is not an exclusive description of breastfeeding. Now drop the mommy-martyr complex and get a clue.

MelonCollie on April 24, 2012 at 10:43 AM

MelonCollie on April 24, 2012 at 10:43 AM

What do you mean by

“Humans caring for their children” is not an exclusive description of breastfeeding.”

That only women who breastfeed are caring for their children? I don’t know that anyone claimed that.

That breastfeeding is something other than humans caring for their children? Well, then, what else is it?

Why would someone who just wants to leave the house with their child without others ridiculing them when they have to feed them have a mommy-martyr complex?

cptacek on April 24, 2012 at 5:13 PM