Green Room

Mmm, mmm, mmm.

posted at 5:14 pm on April 18, 2012 by

From the same folks who proclaim our collective deliverance from darkness into light, and who brought you the glorious apparition of the Messiah in a glass of beer… I give you the glorious apparition of the Messiah in our classrooms.  (Do note that the blurb links to a Kos post which has since been yanked.)

I don’t know what’s worse…the obvious indoctrination of our children by the state-run education complex, or the campaign’s presumption of infantilism concerning potential voters.

A Spanish-language version of this post is available at El Tercer Riel (The Third Rail).

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

Notice how he can’t spell “voting” but -can- spell “Barack Obama.” His unionized teachers prioritized that one on the last spelling quiz. It’s sick how they’re brainwashing our kids on our own dime, and get all mad if we try to do what we want with our own children and our own education dollar. The unions actually feel entitled to oue money and our children.

xuyee on April 18, 2012 at 5:35 PM

Not bad for a high school senior paper.

Smedley on April 18, 2012 at 5:59 PM

Is there a Nobel prize for art?

halfbaked on April 18, 2012 at 6:14 PM

Who’s to say it’s not homework and the parent told the child what to write?

Maybe that’s addressed in one of your links, but I’m just don’t care enough to check.

Spliff Menendez on April 18, 2012 at 6:52 PM

This is for the parents. Notice the Home Activity instructions at the bottom of the picture.

RickB on April 18, 2012 at 9:22 PM

Have you noticed that the ballot is actually green? This can be interpreted a number of ways: 1) The green paper actually represents $$$$. 2)Being paid off by the Green Energy lobby 3)A donation from the Green Party.

That kids said a lot with his picture. Pricele$$.

c3ichief on April 18, 2012 at 9:44 PM

Alright, the parents can spell ‘Barack Obama’ but can’t spell ‘voting’. That’s actually worse. See how the parents made the kid correct the spelling of ‘Barack,’ but not of ‘voteing’? Obama’s got the ‘adults who can’t spell’ vote this November.

xuyee on April 18, 2012 at 11:28 PM

Okay, so I’ll be the spoil-sport (I haven’t clicked on any links, so indulge me please)…

That looks like something my kindergartner child could have done if given that to do and left to his own devices, right down to the spelling. I happen to have an above average kid. So, I don’t know how old the student in question is, their grade, etc.

My child would probably put Barack Obama’s name because he knows that’s who is currently the President. While my wife and I do talk about some politics and adult topics around him, he’s largely unaware. If he’s unaware that there are others interested in the job or that others can have the job, he’s likely to write Mr. Obama’s name. He happens to be homeschooled and goes to kindergarten at a public school.

So I’m not so ready to assume indoctrination so much as simplistic, childish/like thinking. And it’s possible that’s what’s going on in the assignment above as well.

Now, that said, when I saw that work that my child did, then he and I would have a little discussion wherein I’d teach him a little about civics, that there are others interested in the position and that Mommy and Daddy don’t think too highly of Mr. Obama; that we’re not voting for him.

Little kids think small and concretely. Yes, they’re easily indoctrinated, but they also aren’t aware of a whole lot of things… and teaching them gobs of civics and politics will often go right over their heads.

However, this kid could just as likely come from a home where Mr. Obama is indeed teh Messiah, who raises and sets the sun and Mommy and Daddy talk quite a bit about their love for Baracka.

How many licks to the center of a tootsie pop?…

Logus on April 18, 2012 at 11:42 PM

In other words, a nothing-burger. The left and the right love to use opportunities to score any kind of point, marketing, advertising they can. In this case, some leftists think it’s cute and is a positive, that the kid in question is “right”. We’d see this as a negative and an “obvious” sign of indoctrination. Both sides are using this as a target for different reasons.

There is a reason why I remain unimpressed by many parents who involve their children in politics in any fashion, from this to marches. Kids don’t know any better and shouldn’t be used like props to make or argue a point.

Logus on April 18, 2012 at 11:49 PM

RickB on April 18, 2012 at 9:22 PM

Yeah. It says:

“Make a ballot box and encourage your child to use it to vote for ‘candidates supporting income equality.’”

BigAlSouth on April 19, 2012 at 6:18 AM

Sorry, kid.
You get an F-.

justltl on April 19, 2012 at 6:55 AM

I believe he failed because he forgot to decorate the “O” in vote with some sort of Obama symbol.

eagleriverboy on April 19, 2012 at 9:18 AM

Not bad for a high school senior paper.

Thread winner!

crazy_legs on April 19, 2012 at 10:13 AM

The first thing *I* noticed was that the ballot is colored green. The kid obviously thought, from the shape of it, that the ballot was a dollar bill. Money being handed out in connection with voting? Of course the kid’s going to think “Barack Obama”! The merest schoolchild knows that voter fraud = Democrats.

littlemary on April 19, 2012 at 11:44 AM

Is everyone ready for the wave of disappointment that will come when Obama loses?

Seriously, a lot of people are delusional about Obama and they really think he is a sure thing.

Bill C on April 19, 2012 at 3:57 PM

justltl on April 19, 2012 at 6:55 AM

I LOLed

cptacek on April 19, 2012 at 11:25 PM

Sometimes I think the Green Room has become the official Teacher Bashing Site.

You all do realize that conservative teachers exist and are fighting hard against the liberal machine, right? Even right there in our public schools? Can we have an occasional story on that?

Grace_is_sufficient on April 20, 2012 at 5:53 AM

“Teachable Moments” I would be considered guilty of indoctrination of my children too…. Here’s kinda how it would go if this assignment went home with my kid.

If you want to have a say in America you must understand that the most important right you have is the right to vote! When you become old enough you will register to vote…. as a citizen it is your right and a privilege to vote. We are conservative and believe in small government and individual state rights. We believe in…. fill in the blanks…

We can instruct our children and instill in them beliefs long held by our own families experiences, education and political party loyalties… I’ll give this parent cudos… I don’t have to like the message.

ActinUpinTexas on April 20, 2012 at 10:13 AM

I notice how atrocious the spelling is, so I assume this is Joe Biden’s work…

Political Wrinkles