NH women sued by condo board for maintaining flower garden
posted at 4:47 pm on March 24, 2012 by Howard Portnoy
“When you wanna say I love you/Say it with flowers,” an old song lyric advises. But a New Hampshire woman who tried to say it with flowers was told by her condo board to put a sock in it.
CBS Boston reports:
Kimberly Bois’ tiny front yard garden isn’t much to look at right now. But in a few weeks, it’ll be in full bloom, and every blossom will cost her dearly.
Even though she says her builder gave her permission to do a little planting, the current condo board now says she’s in violation.
They’re charging the Portsmouth, New Hampshire homeowner $50 a day for being so petal pushy. That fine has reached close to $6,000, plus the board’s legal fees [totaling $13,800].
According to Bois, the association’s bylaws don’t expressly prohibit planting flowers on your property, but board members have told her they want all the units to look the same. What’s a rugged nonconformist to do?
Bois claims that she has asked members of the condo board to sit down with her and see if they can hash out a mutually satisfactory solution, but her requests have fallen on deaf ears. Each month, the board officiously sends her a certified letter with the same demand: that she dig up her garden. Each successive letter also contains an updated running total of her fines.
But the level of hostility reached a new high last month when Bois—who is at the end of her tether—spoke to a realtor friend about the selling the property. It was then that she discovered the condo board had placed a lien on her townhouse to cover the cost of their fines.
The eyesore in Bois’ front yard is pictured here, in case you wondering about it.
- Batali settles lawsuit over stealing tips to tune of $5.25 million
- Most ridiculous lawsuits of 2011
- Olive Garden: Displaying American flag might be ‘disruptive’ to diners
- CA teacher will lower grade of any student who says ‘God bless you’
- Ohio prison system bans pork in response to lawsuit by Muslim death row inmate
- Obese man suing White Castle because booths are ‘too small’
- Delta Airlines accused of enforcing Sharia law against Jewish passengers
- Michigan woman faces jail time for planting vegetable garden in front yard
- Michigan inmate sues state over “no-porn” policy
- Michigan State Police download cell phone data during routine traffic stop
- Transgender screener wins sex discrimination lawsuit against TSA
Recently in the Green Room:
- Programming note: Guest-hosting the Hugh Hewitt Show tonight w/ MKH
- Obligatory Bill Clinton drew pictures of man parts on classified documents post
- Winning entry for HHS’s ObamaCare propaganda video contest: “Forget About the Price Tag”
- The Ed Morrissey Show on hiatus
- Health records ‘data security,’ Canada-style