Green Room

Middle school assignment: Find flaws in GOP candidates—but not president

posted at 12:00 pm on March 22, 2012 by

We’ve come a long way since the days when first-graders were required to sing hosannas to the nation’s first black president—all the way to eighth grade. The Daily Caller reports:

A Virginia middle school teacher recently forced his students to support President Barack Obama’s re-election campaign by conducting opposition research in class against the Republican presidential candidates.

The 8th grade students, who attend Liberty Middle School in Fairfax County, were required to seek out the vulnerabilities of Republican presidential hopefuls and forward them to the Obama campaign.

The assignment entailed digging into the backgrounds and positions of each of the GOP candidates and ferreting out “weaknesses.” In order to cover all bases, the teacher, Michael Denman, divided his honors civics class into four groups of six students each, one group per Republican candidate. Within each group, two students were tasked with identifying the weaknesses, two with writing the attack strategy paper, and two with finding an individual within the Obama campaign to whom the information could be forwarded. (Obviously, the teacher was not up to the task of indoctrinating impressionable pre-teens. He appears to have been oblivious to the “Truth Team,” the Obama campaign’s latest website for snitches.)

Although the Virginia county where the school is located is reliably left-leaning in its political makeup, enough parents were put off by the audacious assignment to phone the school. One parent told The Daily Caller, “This assignment was just creepy beyond belief—like something out of East Germany during the Cold War,” adding:

I was shocked that a school teacher would so blatantly politicize the curriculum of a middle school classroom. I asked [my child] if a similar assignment had been handed out to examine the background and positions of President Obama to see if the teacher was at least being bipartisan.

The school’s principal, Catherine Cipperly, is on record as saying that students should have been given a choice, but John Torre, a spokesman for the Fairfax County Public School system, seems to come to Denman’s defense, rationalizing that the students weren’t actually instructed to send their reports to the Obama campaign.

Related Articles

Follow me on Twitter or join me at Facebook. You can reach me at howard.portnoy@gmail.com or by posting a comment below.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

Faux news is propaganda.

And stuff… hey, look over there!

WitchDoctor on March 22, 2012 at 12:22 PM

you can’t find flaws in perfection. it’s already been ascertained that king barry has too many positives.

dearest leader…

this never would have been allowed when i was in school-because the parents would have flipped out. they never spoke about religion or specific current politics in such terms. and i went to school in a very very blue state in a college town.

because your children’s values must come from dear leader, not you. and students must never think for themselves. the educational system that gave us OWS-still in full effect.

mittens on March 22, 2012 at 12:50 PM

Here’s the assignment:

Take any speech that President Barack Husein Obama aka Barry Soetoro et al has ever made.

Make two columns on a page
Mark the two columns as “fact” and “Lie”

Read the transcript of the speech and highlight the statements made. Do research on the statement and verify if the statement made was the truth or a lie.

If the list on the right gets to lengthy, continue on another page.

Try not to cry while doing this assignment…. No one likes finding out the truth about public figures that turn out to be real true scum.

Your teacher.

ActinUpinTexas on March 22, 2012 at 12:58 PM

I live in this area. That school is about 20 miles from my house. I can’t agree that Fairfax County is left-leaning, I wouldn’t judge the county based on the last couple of elections. But nonetheless… disgusting. I just showed this article to my 13 yr old and told her, if this ever happens to you in your class (another Fairfax County middle school), to excuse herself and call me, immediately, to pick her up. She read the article, and said, “ew”. Enough said. :) ~ RD

RumblinDurango on March 22, 2012 at 7:04 PM

I used to park daily at a Reston elementary school, deep in reddest Fairfax County. Yes red, because the media changed blue to red and red to blue, and not by accident.

Anyway, I failed to remove my magnetic McCain / Palin sticker once. My car was keyed that day.

NaCly dog on March 22, 2012 at 7:09 PM

Was this a journalism class?

squint on March 23, 2012 at 2:08 AM