Green Room

Woman nearly killed in hurled shopping cart ‘prank’ pities teen assailants

posted at 1:54 pm on March 20, 2012 by

A Manhattan mother who was nearly killed last Halloween by a shopping cart hurled from above by “bored teens” has broken her silence, the New York Post reports. Blind in one eye and hobbled by other physical challenges, 47-year-old Marion Hedges spoke to the press about her life-threatening ordeal.

In addition, footage from security cameras on the afternoon of the assault has been released for the first time. Together, the clips show the young perps grabbing a shopping cart from a Target store, launching it from a walkway four stories above an East Harlem mall parking garage, and the commotion that ensued. Hedges was there to buy candy to hand out to needy children.

In her statement Hedges commended 14-year-old Achilles Baskin, who tried to dissuade his companions from going forward with the “prank,” calling him “brave.” When asked whether she had received an apology from the two boys who critically injured her she said, “I haven’t heard from them, but I wish them well,” adding:

I feel very sorry for them. I don’t know that my son would do something like that or that his friends would do something like that. But there were a lot of things in [the two boys’] lives to bring them to that. A shopping mall is not a place for kids to hang out.

Baskin, the teen who intervened, told The Post that he has been hassled by “neighborhood thugs” for “snitching” on the two boys responsible for the crime, Jeovanni Rosario, 13, and Raymond Hernandez, 12.

The pair pleaded guilty to assault. Rosario is now serving six to 18 months in a nonsecure facility in Westchester, and Hernandez is doing six to 16 months in a therapeutic group home.

As for Marion Hedges, relatives report that she has a long way to go in her recovery.

Related Articles

Follow me on Twitter or join me at Facebook. You can reach me at [email protected] or by posting a comment below.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

Yay leftist culture!

garnkikaloid on March 20, 2012 at 2:16 PM

Obvious solution… ban shopping carts.

Neo-con Artist on March 20, 2012 at 2:25 PM

well Howard

sounds like she is minimizing the harm caused by the perps (no money) so she can go after the shopping mall, Target, the shopping cart manufacturer, the company that made the candy she was supposedly there to “buy” and the city of NY.

teejk on March 20, 2012 at 2:31 PM

Now that is a strong woman of faith right there. I don’t know if i could be that forgiving if that had happened to me…

OTOH, I *do* know I wouldn’t forgive or forget if that had been my mother or sister, etc.

BlaxPac on March 20, 2012 at 2:35 PM

Obvious solution… ban shopping carts.

Neo-con Artist on March 20, 2012 at 2:25 PM

Seems pretty narrow and dismissive of important global issues.

Better solution: ban shopping malls.

J.E. Dyer on March 20, 2012 at 2:41 PM

good. they could give an f about you. they were only sorry they were separated from their expensive sneakers for a moment while in custody.

holding them accountable for their actions in the long run might help both them and society rather than merely pitying them, treating them like hapless infants.

now and future felons- malignant narcissists and up and coming sociopaths.

mittens on March 20, 2012 at 2:48 PM

Better solution: ban shopping malls.

J.E. Dyer on March 20, 2012 at 2:41 PM

Even better solution: Ban white people from black dominated shopping malls.

pedestrian on March 20, 2012 at 3:29 PM

pedestrian on March 20, 2012 at 3:29 PM

Even better solution: Ban white people from black dominated shopping malls.

Howard Portnoy on March 20, 2012 at 3:31 PM

[i]before I escaped, I always wished somebody would drop a shopping cart on me…it would have been like winning the lottery.

teejk on March 20, 2012 at 2:31 PM[/i]

I don’t know, dude… nearly killed, blind in one, a lifetime of physical challenges to face. That’s one wish you might want to rethink.

Personally, I think the woman sounds like a saint.

CoolCzech on March 20, 2012 at 3:41 PM

Darn, let me edit that:

teejk on March 20, 2012 at 2:31 PM

I don’t know, dude… nearly killed, blind in one eye, a lifetime of physical challenges to face. That’s one wish you might want to rethink.

Personally, I think the woman sounds like a saint.

CoolCzech on March 20, 2012 at 3:41 PM

CoolCzech on March 20, 2012 at 3:42 PM

pedestrian on March 20, 2012 at 3:29 PM

Have you seen Harlem in the last 10+ years? There are quite a few Caucasian faces in the crowd nowadays than some of the radicals from both sides of the color line would like to admit.

And No, I’m not talking about Clintons entourage coming through 125th Street either :o)

BlaxPac on March 20, 2012 at 3:43 PM

teejk on March 20, 2012 at 2:31 PM

Your logic & understanding are even worse than your capitalization & punctuation.

itsnotaboutme on March 20, 2012 at 4:10 PM

Personally, I think the woman sounds like a saint.

CoolCzech on March 20, 2012 at 3:41 PM

She was distributing sugar to black kids. If that isn’t a hate crime, I don’t know what is.

pedestrian on March 20, 2012 at 4:29 PM

Personally, I think the woman sounds like a saint.

CoolCzech on March 20, 2012 at 3:41 PM

I may have read it wrong…was she blinded before or on account of the “accident”?

If you don’t know that part of NY (it ain’t all 5th Ave that you see in the movies), I’ll stand by my earlier post…I smell a “shark” in the background (he/she will only grab 40% of the ultimate payout). My guess is she had to excuse the perps to get the case moved from criminal to civil.

But keep watching for developments…typically the sharks wait to file actions until a day or two before the statute of limitations runs out so it may take awhile…

teejk on March 20, 2012 at 5:53 PM

And No, I’m not talking about Clintons entourage coming through 125th Street either )
BlaxPac on March 20, 2012 at 3:43 PM

I think the Target Store in question is visible from MetroNorth’s Hudson line. While much of Harlem has been a MAJOR success story (thanks to Magic Johnson as I understand it), if I’m correct the part in question still needs “some work”.

teejk on March 20, 2012 at 6:12 PM

Obvious solution… ban shopping carts.

Neo-con Artist on March 20, 2012 at 2:25 PM

Exactly.

petefrt on March 21, 2012 at 10:54 AM

teejk on March 20, 2012 at 6:12 PM

No doubt, but it has made *major* strides due to the economy, investments, etc. But there is a way bigger difference between what it looks like now as a whole, and what it looked like then, nee 20 years prior.

BlaxPac on March 21, 2012 at 4:04 PM

Top Pick

Will they stay or will they go?

Top Pick

I can’t imagine what I was thinking when I said that

Rocking the boat majorly

Big government never contracts. It only grows more powerful

It’s only a “ban” until it becomes inconvenient

The decline and fall of Obamacare and the AHCA

Jazz Shaw Jun 24, 2017 8:31 AM

This was all over before it began

Fixing crime in America is a complicated issue

Taylor Millard Jun 23, 2017 8:31 PM

Cops alone won’t solve it.

Democrats forgot all about the “era of good feelings”

“Bernie and Jane Sanders have lawyered up.”

Winning isn’t everything. It is the only thing

Trump signs VA reform bill into law

John Sexton Jun 23, 2017 2:41 PM

A new era of something.

“…died suddenly in less than a week just after his return to the U.S.”

The shortsightedness of “Denounce and Preserve”

Taylor Millard Jun 23, 2017 12:11 PM

Pragmatism for the sake of pragmatism doesn’t always work.

Perhaps if you threw in a new car?

Gay marriages still growing, but not as fast

Andrew Malcolm Jun 23, 2017 10:31 AM

More, but not as quickly.

Should’ve stuck with the pirate gig. It was working for him

The battle for the rubble of Raqqa is underway

Andrew Malcolm Jun 23, 2017 8:51 AM

Won’t be much left.

Your list of demands is a publicity stunt

“The jobs are still leaving. Nothing has stopped.”

Bad vendor. Bad! No cookie!

“So you want me to sing my praises, is that what you’re saying?”

Why would we possibly want that?

“I mean he sold our country to The Russians.”

I could think of someone else you might want to ask about…

Trump: I never made any recordings of Comey

Allahpundit Jun 22, 2017 2:01 PM

Bluff.

Hackers stole private data from election databases

John Sexton Jun 22, 2017 1:21 PM

Failure to protect the city

Big man on the Middle Eastern campus