Green Room

Bristol Palin open letter asks: ‘Mr. President, when should I expect your call?’

posted at 10:55 am on March 19, 2012 by

From the it-needs-no-embellishment department comes a Monday morning eye opener via Bristol Palin’s blog. It’s an open letter to the president, and even though it was written more than two weeks after the kerfuffle involving Sandra Fluke (which in today’s non-stop news cycle is an eternity), the statement is powerful enough to deserve honorable mention, if not reawaken attention to Obama’s lopsided brand of governance.

Palin’s argument scores additional style points because it uses the president’s own words to expose his hypocrisy and rank partisanship. As a bonus, it makes palpable the vicious nature of Bill Maher’s cretinous attacks on the Palins, which the president continues to choose to overlook.

Without further ado:

Ever since you called Sandra Fluke after Rush Limbaugh called her a slut, I figured I might be next. You explained to reporters you called her because you were thinking of your two daughters, Malia and Sasha. After all, you didn’t want them to think it was okay for men to treat them that way:

“One of the things I want them to do as they get older is engage in issues they care about, even ones I may not agree with them on,” you said. “I want them to be able to speak their mind in a civil and thoughtful way. And I don’t want them attacked or called horrible names because they’re being good citizens.”

And I totally agree your kids should be able to speak their minds and engage the culture. I look forward to seeing what good things Malia and Sasha end up doing with their lives.

But here’s why I’m a little surprised my phone hasn’t rung. Your $1,000,000 donor Bill Maher has said reprehensible things about my family. He’s made fun of my brother because of his Down’s [sic] Syndrome. He’s said I was “f**-d so hard a baby fell out.” (In a classy move, he did this while his producers put up the cover of my book, which tells about the forgiveness and redemption I’ve found in God after my past—very public—mistakes.)

If Maher talked about Malia and Sasha that way, you’d return his dirty money and the Secret Service would probably have to restrain you. After all, I’ve always felt you understood my plight more than most because your mom was a teenager. That’s why you stood up for me when you were campaigning against Sen. McCain and my mom—you said vicious attacks on me should be off limits.

Yet I wonder if the Presidency has changed you. Now that you’re in office, it seems you’re only willing to defend certain women. You’re only willing to take a moral stand when you know your liberal supporters will stand behind you.

But…

What if you did something radical and wildly unpopular with your base and took a stand against the denigration of all women … even if they’re just single moms? Even if they’re Republicans?

I’m not expecting your SuperPAC to return the money. You’re going to need every dime to hang on to your presidency. I’m not even really expecting a call. But would it be too much to expect a little consistency? After all, you’re President of all Americans, not just the liberals.

The ball is now squarely in the court of a president who has demonstrated an abiding fondness for reading heart-felt letters written to him by his constituents. Will he respond to this letter, or will it somehow conveniently escape his ken?

Related Articles

Follow me on Twitter or join me at Facebook. You can reach me at [email protected] or by posting a comment below.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

Way to go, Bristol!!! Excellent letter!!

Bitter Clinger on March 19, 2012 at 11:09 AM

Good Job, Little Lady. Well done.

Subsunk

Subsunk on March 19, 2012 at 11:18 AM

Maybe I’m just a cynic, but I believe barry WILL use the letter…as an opportunity. Ms Palin gives him a pass on returning the one million dollars donated to his PAC: now he can mention her letter in one of his speeches, deplore the remarks made against women AND keep the money. This is what barry means by “…an all of the above approach”.

balthazar on March 19, 2012 at 11:21 AM

There must be something in the water in Alaska that helps make women gutsy? Thanks Bristol, you did good! BTW, your mom does good also!
L

letget on March 19, 2012 at 11:34 AM

Pretending a superpac and the candidate are one and the same is going to bite the gop in the a$s come Nov.

Not like the Palins are team players though.

freshface on March 19, 2012 at 11:47 AM

via Bristol Palin’s blog

if a tree falls in a forest…

sesquipedalian on March 19, 2012 at 11:58 AM

I would LOVE to see Tripp grow up to be President !!!
(after Sarah and maybe Bristol)

TimLenox on March 19, 2012 at 12:19 PM

On the issue of Bristol mentioning bho’s kids, have you seen this? Wonder how much this is costing us?

L

letget on March 19, 2012 at 12:47 PM

via Bristol Palin’s blog

if a tree falls in a forest…

sesquipedalian on March 19, 2012 at 11:58 AM

But here you are commenting on it

hoosierma on March 19, 2012 at 12:50 PM

Good for you Bristol. Don’t expect a call though. Your the wrong kind of person to be called (Conservative). BHO doesn’t do appolgies to US Citzens. Just others, including our enemies. You’ve been educated, your Conservitive, Your Mom Is Sarah Palin, your parents are still marrieed to each other, and your not on welfare. You’re just not their type of Woman. God bless, from Arizona.

Sabercat2 on March 19, 2012 at 1:20 PM

Wonderful, Bristol! The sitting POTUS owes you a public apology and settle for nothing less! If he meant what he said about his daughters, he will call you. Well done!

sinsing on March 19, 2012 at 4:29 PM

via Bristol Palin’s blog

if a tree falls in a forest…

sesquipedalian on March 19, 2012 at 11:58 AM

Heh. You thought no one would notice her post? As of right now it has over 1,350 comments, and over 32,000 “Like”s on Facebook.

As well as 800 comments here at HotAir

ITguy on March 19, 2012 at 11:38 PM

Just a reminder: People will die

Allahpundit Jun 28, 2017 10:41 PM
Top Pick

“Whipped cream’s killing more people than ever before.”

Top Pick

Medicare for all?

“There comes a point where you gotta get off the crazy train.”

Poll: Dem voters glumly sticking with Pelosi

Ed Morrissey Jun 28, 2017 8:41 PM

Disaster ahead?

“When she left it, it was in better shape than it had ever been.”

Manafort, firm registers as foreign agents

Ed Morrissey Jun 28, 2017 6:41 PM

Better late than never?

Delivered as promised

“I would like to think that the president saved many innocent men, women and children.”

“The Russia investigation was by far the dominant topic…”

The merry little media war continues.

Criminal enterprise

Politico: Has the SPLC lost its way?

John Sexton Jun 28, 2017 3:01 PM

“The organization has always tried to find ways to milk money out of the public…”

Trump legal team backing away from Comey complaint?

Ed Morrissey Jun 28, 2017 2:31 PM

De-escalation?

Time to get up and go to work, sir

CNN gets glum, defensive after resignations

John Sexton Jun 28, 2017 1:01 PM

“If Jeff lit himself on fire, it wouldn’t appease the pro-Trump media.”

Hmmm: FBI probing Russia-based anti-virus firm?

Ed Morrissey Jun 28, 2017 12:31 PM

“I wouldn’t put their stuff on my computer if you paid me.”

He works hard for the money…

It’s not a slippery slope. It’s a freaking avalanche.

Nuts.

Showdown: Sarah Palin vs the New York Times

Jazz Shaw Jun 28, 2017 9:21 AM

Defamation

Credit where creditor’s due?

More flash than bang, but a very bad sign

“Felix was out on bond after threatening another public servant and has a history of making threats.”

Chaffetz: House needs housing allowances?

Ed Morrissey Jun 27, 2017 8:41 PM

“There are dozens upon dozens of members living in their offices, and I don’t know how healthy that is long term.”

“This isn’t going to get a lot cheaper, it can’t, it won’t.”

“…what we failed to achieve with votes, we would do with weapons.”

“[S]o dumb it’s amazing we even have to have the conversation.”

“It was not necessary.”

“You’re inflaming everyone right here right now with those words!”

“Trump’s people said, ‘We’ll be writing the speech that the President’s Audio-Animatronic figure will be saying.'”

Excuses, excuses.

Not really a “kill all the lawyers” scenario

4 pm ET!

“it has not taken serious steps to end its own complicity in trafficking, including forced laborers from North Korea.”