TX mom to 911: ‘I think I left my child at Chuck E. Cheese last night’
posted at 2:08 pm on March 17, 2012 by Howard Portnoy
There was a young woman with so many children she didn’t know what to do. That includes counting heads, to make sure she had all ten members of her brood in tow before heading home from a restaurant they had frequented (h/t The Smoking Gun).
In an audio of a 911 call received at 8 a.m. the following morning, the mother can be heard telling the dispatcher with utter equanimity, “I think I left my child at Chuck E. Cheese last night.” Putting aside for the moment the question of how you leave your own child at a public venue, even if you have ten, how do you not notice for 9 hours that the child is missing?
To add insult to injury, the purpose of the trip to the kid-friendly restaurant was to celebrate one of the children’s fifth birthday—and it was the birthday girl, no less, who was left behind.
The 32-year-old resident of Pearland, Texas, whose name has not been released, is now the subject of two independent investigations. One is by the Texas Department of Family and Protective Services, the other by sheriff’s deputies who are probing the matter as a possible case of child endangerment or abandonment. The child, meantime, has been placed in emergency custody.
Authorities remain baffled over how this parental lapse occurred. All they have been able to ascertain so far is that the child was discovered, sitting by herself, by restaurant employees around 11 p.m. She was unable to provide details that would permit police to determine the identity of her parents or how to contact them.
Some birthday present!
The ultimate irony is Chuck E. Cheese’s motto: “Where a kid can be a kid.”
- Special needs student dies after teacher makes him wear ‘homemade’ neck brace
- Father arrested, strip-searched after 4-year-old draws ‘man with gun’
- 14-year-old brutally murders mother because she wouldn’t let him join gang
- Cries for help in the form of ‘tweets’ from abused suicidal teen went unheeded
- NYC mom sues city for $900 trillion for taking custody of her children
- School accuses 6-year-old of sexual assault during schoolyard game of tag
- KY mother says school abused autistic son by confining him in a bag
- NH school confiscates autistic 12-year-old boy’s American flag
- Brooklyn mother abandons daughters, 3 and 5, on sidewalk, drives off (Update)
- Study: Poorly chosen baby names can lead to low self-esteem, lousy grades
- Obesity expert says parents of obese children should lose custody
- Obese 8-year-old taken from family, placed in foster care
- Occupy protester puts 4-year-old on train tracks to stop rail traffic
- Parents lose custody of son they named Adolf Hitler, two other children
- TX schools to install cafeteria “cams” to monitor student food choices
Recently in the Green Room:
- Real question: Does Obama’s budget fund overseas abortions to protect endangered animals?
- Photo of the day: Crimea now belongs to Russia, at least on Russian propaganda TV
- Vatican: Pope Francis wasn’t talking about same-sex relationships; Update: “Civil unions” explained
- RNC ad: Crying infant greets Obama’s new debt-laden budget
- Update: Grayson dismisses ‘erratic’ wife after abuse allegation