Green Room

Bill Maher and the Last Bastion of the Intellectually Lazy

posted at 4:02 pm on March 12, 2012 by

As many of you are now aware, Bill Maher (as well as a host of other commentators on the left) has a long history of making sexist, uncivil comments with regard to conservatives, and conservative women in particular. In fact, Maher’s misogyny has gotten so out of hand, that now many noted liberal columnists, such as Kirsten Powers, are finally calling him (and some other progressive pundits) out on his egregious behavior.

However, this past Friday evening Bill Maher–who is now well aware that even those on his own side of the aisle have grown weary of his misogyny–decided to move on from picking on women to picking on poor people. Maher sent Alexandra Pelosi (the daughter of former House Speaker Nancy Pelosi) to rural Mississippi to supposedly interview prospective Republican voters about the upcoming Mississippi primary. While Ms. Pelosi’s video aired during Maher’s show, he, Jon Hamm and some other liberals on his panel sneered at the poor, barely literate people in the video (see the video below). Francis Martel of Mediate implied that Maher and his panel were elitist when she wrote that they were “mocking rural Mississippi residents from a smug Hollywood perch”. While I agree with Ms. Martel that elitism was definitely on display here, something else more sinister was afoot.

First of all, Ms. Pelosi issued a disclaimer that these were the only sort of people that she could find in the entire state of Mississippi. I gotta call BS on that! I grew up in Mobile, AL and had a roommate in college that was from Biloxi, MS (who I went home with on the weekends frequently). I have driven through and been to MS numerous times–I have NEVER seen or come into contact with people like the ones featured in the above video. Furthermore, my mother-in-law is from rural MS and she was valedictorian of her high school, got a Master’s degree in statistics from Tulane University and spent her career teaching advance placement mathematics in Texas high schools. Furthermore, her mother was one of the first women ever to graduate from Vanderbilt University with a degree in physics. Heck, Eli Manning was the quarterback for Ole Miss and still managed to graduate with a 3.44 GPA! Why didn’t Ms. Pelosi drive through Biloxi and Ole Miss’s campus and chat with the people there? (That would have been a heck of a lot simpler that traipsing through backwoods MS in order to talk to people with no education and no teeth.) The answer is simple–Ms. Pelosi didn’t want to talk to people that sounded like my mother-in-law or looked like Eli Manning. People like them would not have fit the narrative that she wanted to create–that narrative being that all MS Republican voters are illiterate, racist and toothless. Bottom line, Pelosi and Maher are being highly disingenuous when they try to pass the people in the above video off as the typical southern/MS Republican Primary voter.

Second of all, is it just me or was there a certain cruelty in mocking the people in the above video (even the stupid white supremacist)? It made me a tad queasy to see the daughter of the former Speaker of the House, Bill Maher (a guy who just gave President Obama a million dollar check) and Jon Hamm (one of the five best looking people in America IMHO) laugh at poor, semi-literate people, a senile old man, and a homeless guy (he was living in a hovel) who seemed somewhat mentally challenged and was lacking many of his front teeth. The people in the above video are poor, they are powerless and some are literally toothless! (My heart went out to them, and would have if they had said ridiculous things about George W. Bush instead of Barack Obama. Oh, and if anyone thinks that most of these people in the above video actually vote, then I have a blind bird dog and some underwater real-estate to sell you.) Whereas, Alexandra Pelosi, Bill Maher and Jon Ham are rich and quite powerful when it comes to shaping public opinion. I am reminded of what it says in the book of Luke:

“To whom much is given, of him much will be required.”

I mean, these people on Maher’s panel were given so much (looks, wealth, fame, power) and they then decide to pick on the powerless and the toothless?! That is not good satire–any great satirist, like say Oscar Wilde, knows to only pick on the powerful. This is just pure meanness.

And finally, to Bill Maher I say the following:

Dude, really???!! Your idea of cutting edge comedy and satire is to call conservative women misogynistic four letter words and to imply that all southern conservatives are “toothless hicks”? Yawn! That is not only tired, cliche’ and totally played out, it is the last bastion of the intellectually lazy. Jon Stewart would never stoop to that level. It is definitely time to hire some new writers and bring in some fresh blood because you, yourself, have become a cliche’–that of the angry, hypocritical liberal elitist who thinks that he is for the women and the little guy, but in reality has absolutely no tolerance or compassion for anyone–rich or poor, male or female–who does not think exactly like him.

This column is also posted at The Minority Report and Right Wing News.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

Bravissima! And grazie mille for that last paragraph. I’ve been thinking it all weekend that if Maher was authentic cutting edge and a truly intelligent comedian then he wouldn’t go for the cheap, easy, slooty comments. To quote myself from another posting:

If BillyMa was as intelligent as he bills himself to be and consulted a thesaurus, he could find plenty of less- or non-offensive words to clearly and unmistakably express his opinion without having to resort to gutter-sniping. But he instead chooses to be BillyClown and go for the quick, cheap, juvenile laff–as if he’s even funny. In my opinion, the way he speaks about others speaks volumes about what he thinks of himself.

stukinIL4now on March 12, 2012 at 4:36 PM

Jon Hamm?

Noooo, don’t ruin Mad Men for me.

Or is this an elaborate parody on the rich Hollywood elite?

rbj on March 12, 2012 at 4:37 PM

Bill Maher is only successful because he happened to be the gutter-talk not-so-funny mouthpiece that the leftist media dredged out of a barrel. Television is inundated with his ilk. Got a few dollars? Speak trash? Let’s put you on TV and claim you are some kind of intellectual!

I suspect Kim Kardashian could do as well as he, and only speak half the trash.

Turtle317 on March 12, 2012 at 4:55 PM

Great comments guys! You provide some nice insights.

Oh, and stukinIL4now, thanks so much for the kind words. I appreciate it. :-)

X0X0, Suzi

PS–Mad Men is still one of my favorite shows. Don Draper is a great character and Jon Hamm is still a good actor–I won’t let his elitism ruin the show for me.

Susannah Fleetwood on March 12, 2012 at 5:10 PM

Franklin Roosevelt hd a name for these folks, the forgotten man. The Democrat party has come a long way.

Smedley on March 12, 2012 at 5:19 PM

I live in but I am not from the Deep South. Love it here. People are truly the salt of the earth.

Maher is just a tool, and while it may get blog hits (I clicked on it…) he would not get any attention if conservatives would stop giving him a larger audience. I would guess that his leftist/lib audience is small in comparison.

Better things to focus on than a-holes like this. He is the least of our problems – but a symptom of most of them, and the worst of them.

Hueydriver on March 12, 2012 at 5:59 PM

Susannah, I think you’re being excessively kind to Maher and his ilk to refer to them as “intellectually lazy.” In truth, I think it fair to say that using the words “Maher” and “intellectual” in the same sentence is a mistake. He is clearly an extraordinarily ignorant person, whose attitudes toward those who disagree with him would be properly called “bigoted” if he weren’t a political liberal. I think it’s wonderful that folks across the political spectrum are finally getting a clue about the true nature of this sorry thug and his friends.

Athanasius on March 12, 2012 at 6:29 PM

This pretty much sums up what I think of Maher.

“You make me laugh. But only ’cause I think you’re kinda pathetic.”

-Terry McGinnis, Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker

ZK on March 12, 2012 at 8:12 PM

Susannah – I just noticed I misspelled your name when I linked you. My apologies. It’s been fixed. I really try to be very careful with the spellings of names. I failed miserably and should be beat!

AdrienneS on March 12, 2012 at 8:42 PM

Adrienne, thanks so much for the linkage. I appreciate you! Great blog BTW–everyone here should check it out. Here is the link–

Oh, and thanks to everyone here for all of the insightful comments–they really do add a lot to the post. (I just love getting comments–even when they are from people who disagree with me.)

Take care. :-)

X0X0, Suzi

Susannah Fleetwood on March 12, 2012 at 8:51 PM

So damn true. “Jokes” like that are even more over done and unfunny than the white people can’t dance jokes. I can’t stand Jon Stewart, but at least he’s clever (sometimes) AND he’s not afraid to make fun of his own side when they do something really stupid. People like Maher are just pathetic. They’re not funny and it’s even hard to get all that offended. This is obviously all they can do and in a way it’s kinda sad to watch them think they’re entertaining and relevant.

Cyhort on March 13, 2012 at 1:38 AM

and somehow we never get around to snobby satirizing of the easily deconstructed and visualized knuckle dragging, aging, ex jock, queer bashing, beer soaked,wife beating, sub-literate, democrat voting union thug who so enjoy smacking up tea party black folks and calling them the n word.

but,of course, those sorts of ignorant apes all have their teeth because of their do- nothing, benefit and waiver laden union jobs -the jobs that hardly ever go to minorities.

or how about the constantly drunk driving,retired and living off of 3 pensions but also collecting unemployment convicted felon/ democrat bureaucrat. certainly not as repulsive and contempt worthy as any private sector 1% living off of mounds of his own money not wrenched from the tax payer.

but those are the only democrat/ obama voters i could find among caucasian northerners….. really….

mittens on March 13, 2012 at 2:23 AM

It’s not surprising that people like Hitler, Goebbels,Stalin, et al took offense to people like Maher and his ilk.

I certainly don’t condone it. But,understandable.

DevilsPrinciple on March 13, 2012 at 12:15 PM