Green Room

CNN Opinion: America, quit whining about gas

posted at 5:44 pm on March 1, 2012 by

I know what you’re thinking, but no, that’s the actual goddamned headline. It’s some Brit who writes about cars that doesn’t host Top Gear, so I have as little clue as you who the hell he is. That is, apart from the fact that, like most liberals, he wants you to feel his pain:

In some places here you’ll pay an eye-watering £7.27 ($11.52) for a gallon of super unleaded. And prices throughout the rest of Europe are similarly high. But it is worth sparing a thought for the hard-pressed Norwegians who’ll pay £7.28 ($11.54) for a gallon of the regular stuff across their country.

If the price of oil was the only factor to dictate the expense of gas it wouldn’t be such a bitter pill. But it isn’t. The government decides how much we’re going to pay per gallon. Surprise, surprise, it also decides that the majority of it should be diverted to their coffers. So of our £6.22 average, £3.74 ($5.92), or a bit over 60%, ends up in the Treasury’s back pocket.

The government isn’t the only guilty party. Fuel producers take 36%, which goes some way to explaining Shell’s obscene £18.1bn ($28.6bn) profits from last year.

Isn’t that interesting? He blithely notes that more than half of the price they pay at the pump goes right back to their overlords, but when it comes to the actual oil companies, he can’t help but characterize the obscene profits that they make…at about half what the government does, for doing nothing whatsoever to produce that gasoline. As with the Occupy crowd, the problem is never the inefficient, bloated, cash-gulping bureaucracy, but in fact is the scurvy private enterprises that have the audacity to want to be successful in producing a high-demand product.

Additionally, like the Occupy crowd, his rationale consists of “it sucks for us, so it should suck for you”. He goes on to point out that Sweden pays even more at the pump. Yeah, that’s always the answer. If your situation is poor, make someone else’s just as poor as yours. Does he wish for lower prices? Of course not. Hell, he jumps onto the on-ramp to the “high prices are good because oil is bad” highway:

Fuel is a drug the U.S. has long since needed weaning off. Admittedly Americans have to cover greater distances than Europeans. But you don’t need a glorified double bed powered by a throbbing great V8 to do that. A sensibly-sized car with a two-liter turbo will do the job just as comfortably.

And with developing nations such as China, Brazil and India demanding ever more fuel, the planet can’t put up with anyone’s penchant for gas-guzzling monsters any more.

Oops. My bad. He doesn’t say that oil is the problem. He says “fuel” is the problem. Good to know that we’re on the way to cars powered by fairy dust. Oh, wait…that would be fuel, wouldn’t it? Okay, so the guy is as much of an idiot as every person who ever says “free health care”, or “free contraception”.

So, we should shut up about gas costing four dollars a gallon, which at a rate of ten gallons per refill, done twice a month, means at bare minimum eighty dollars a month out of your pocket…and is critical for most folks to get to work, as well as affecting the price of goods we buy, due to the author-admitted fact that America is ginormous…

…AND we should shut up and pay for all college students’ nine-dollar-a-month contraceptive pills so they can bone in financial freedom.

This is why I toke.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

The no reason to put g d in your first line. Because of that I won’t read the rest.

single stack on March 1, 2012 at 6:36 PM

Stop whining Euroweenies. Thats what you get when you fall for the socialist claptrap.
Now be good little robots and blame someone else.

Mimzey on March 1, 2012 at 6:38 PM

That bloke can start by stopping his driving career. That will leave more for me.

Steve Eggleston on March 1, 2012 at 6:39 PM

This is why I toke.

My brain is just super awesome and interpreted that as

“This is why I set my clan tag to ’420′ when I play Call of Duty multiplayer.”

Because of reasons.

mintycrys on March 1, 2012 at 6:57 PM

single stack on March 1, 2012 at 6:36 PM

Good. I’ll be sure to put it in the first goddamned line of every goddamned article I write.

MadisonConservative on March 1, 2012 at 7:00 PM

mintycrys on March 1, 2012 at 6:57 PM

I do NOT play Call of Duty multiplayer.

I play Payday: The Heist multiplayer.

MadisonConservative on March 1, 2012 at 7:01 PM

Here’s a fun fact: the UK duty on gasoline is 60.79 pence per liter, or — at today’s exchange rate — 97 US cents.

There are 3.785 liters per gallon. That means that $3.67 of what Brits are paying per gallon is the national gas tax.

And that’s about what Americans are paying on average for the fuel AND taxes.

Yet the $3.67 doesn’t count the other taxes that are levied on gas, which besides local sales tax include the 20% VAT. All told, taxes represent about 55% on average of what Europeans pay for motor fuel.

So the question for Mr. Foxall is who is really the chump here.

J.E. Dyer on March 1, 2012 at 7:03 PM

The gov’t that does nothing deserves the profit more than the company and people who risk and perform the work. That is the liberal agenda.

CNN is populated by losers. They are based in the gasoline powered caropolus of Atlanta. Lets cut of the tap to atlanta. Walking will straighten them out.

aniptofar on March 1, 2012 at 7:03 PM

single stack on March 1, 2012 at 6:36 PM

Really?

thebrokenrattle on March 1, 2012 at 7:06 PM

MadisonConservative on March 1, 2012 at 7:00 PM

Awesomesauce.

thebrokenrattle on March 1, 2012 at 7:45 PM

Hey America, well the part of you that hasn’t yet stopped–stop watching CNN! We ain’t Norway or Sweden or Europe and we don’t have to settle, especially not, since we’re sitting on enough oil reserves to serve ourselves for the rest of this century and employ our own people to explore, drill, refine and bring it to market.

Oh and btw, you there, on the other side of the Atlantic, imagine what you’d all be paying for gas, and other goods, if you didn’t have the luxury of us lazy Americans providing a good portion of your military protection and you had to pay to provide your own. Eye-watering gas prices would be the least of your worries.

stukinIL4now on March 1, 2012 at 7:50 PM

This is Socialism, in a nutshell.

We would NOT all be “equal”, we’d all be equally poor. EXCEPT for the truly wealthy. Just like you see how socialist societies are right now, all over the world.

KMC1 on March 1, 2012 at 8:04 PM

$40 extra every two-weeks; $80 extra per month; good thing that payroll tax cut was passed last month! GOP needs a website for voters to send in their heart-wrenching stories of what they have to GIVE UP every week due to Obama’s policies that are increasing the cost of gasoline.

HoosierStateofMind on March 1, 2012 at 11:15 PM

Eurotrash crybaby. Hey look, I can put make funny “L” too!

£oser.

infidel4life on March 2, 2012 at 2:23 AM

MadisonConservative on March 1, 2012 at 7:00 PM

Cursing wasn’t necessary for your article, which was fine otherwise. Your response to single stack reads like something I might have said when I was 15 years old and thought cursing was cool. It’s out of line for HA.

Gladtobehere on March 2, 2012 at 4:47 AM

I’m happy that the HA police (AKA Gladtobehere) is here to set us all straight on the language and usage policies of the blog.

Vancomycin on March 2, 2012 at 8:08 AM

£oser.

infidel4life on March 2, 2012 at 2:23 AM

Heh.

AH_C on March 2, 2012 at 8:28 AM

Dumbass. And 90% of that 36% taken by Shell is cost of business, not profit.

If you want to ID a greedy producer, aim your wrath at Apple that averages 55% profit. But you won’t because iFad are so cool with the incrowd, you’ll gladly pay double or even triple the value.

AH_C on March 2, 2012 at 8:33 AM

Here in NC, we pay the 18 cent federal (feral) tax per gallon plus the recently RINO-backed nearly 30 cent per gallon tax.

…and I remember when Dad wouldn’t pay an outragious 25 cents a gallon at some gas station in AZ when I was a kid.

Turtle317 on March 2, 2012 at 9:05 AM

It’s out of line for HA.

Gladtobehere on March 2, 2012 at 4:47 AM

Thanks for telling me what is or isn’t out of line for HA. You obviously know better than anybody.

MadisonConservative on March 2, 2012 at 9:39 AM

If you have complaints about my language or style, email ed@hotair.com or allah@hotair.com. If you clutter this thread with those complaints, they will be unapproved.

MadisonConservative on March 2, 2012 at 11:40 AM

Is there anything more annoying than a Goddamned whiney Brit?

Wallythedog on March 2, 2012 at 12:22 PM

“Yes, don’t whine about gas…

…Until you have a republican president and THEN you can complain about it if gas prices rise. But in the meantime,(crying) LEAVE OBAMA ALONE!!”

I figured that was what that liberal brit was saying in total, so I thought I would help him out there.

Sterling Holobyte on March 2, 2012 at 3:40 PM

So this Moron says quit winning about the price of gas, and then compares us to so euro trash country that runs there Government off the price of gas. For starters if you like it so much move! Lets not forget when GWB was Pres. the price went up to $3.50 a gal. and every loon liberal was blaming him for the spike in gas price, so I say this is Obummers problem and yes we can complain all we want and I encourage everyone to make sure their state Reps and Senators are the first to hear about it. This moron in Chief has said energy prices are necessarily going to sky rocket under his Admin. His Secretary of Energy said this week they don’t want to get prices lower they want to ween us off oil no matter what! This is what we are up against if this Moron and his minions are not voted out this November.

2eagles on March 2, 2012 at 8:46 PM

I can’t see my husband giving up his V8 pick up but I can see him voting against Obama and not watching CNN. Let them talk. People will not just wake up one morning happy about high fuel prices and high food bills and less money for their family. So good luck to CNN with that argument.

Great job MadisonConservative.

magicbeans on March 3, 2012 at 12:02 PM

FTA: “But you don’t need a glorified double bed powered by a throbbing great V8 to do that.”

Who the HELL is this moron to tell me what size/type of motor to buy? I just bought a 2010 F-250 SD, 330 c.i. and 300 horses. MY money, MY decision. Leave us alone socialists!

tank_killer69 on March 3, 2012 at 3:55 PM

Oh and MADCON you rock. I have been lurking in the HA background since 2007 and have always enjoyed your analysis goddamned humor.

tank_killer69 on March 3, 2012 at 3:57 PM

(Mady-I use the F word so much my wife says I sound like a chicken…along with every swear word not in the dictionary.
I get uncomfortable with calling out God or Jesus in my daily use, so I avoid it. At least you didn’t capitalize it!) Good article otherwise!

KOOLAID2 on March 4, 2012 at 12:10 AM