Green Room

NM dog becomes registered voter

posted at 12:52 pm on March 1, 2012 by

This is perfect. Buddy can help shore up the quadruped vote by throwing his support behind Hank the cat.

Station KOB in Albuquerque reports that a man has successfully registered his dog, a black Lab, to vote in New Mexico’s Bernalillo County. The owner, whose name for obvious reasons is not mentioned in the news report (although his face is plainly visible), claims his goal was to demonstrate that the system is broken.

He explains that he passed a voter registration booth on the University of New Mexico’s campus several few weeks ago and decided to see how easy it would be to register his dog to vote. The answer, as is it turned out, was “very.”

“I made up a birth date, and I made up a social security number,” he told reporters, “and I had a voter registration card in my hand for Buddy two weeks later.”

Reporters from the station contacted the Bernalillo County Clerk’s Office about this incident. The response they received was—how you say?—confusing. They were told on the one hand that the office strictly examines applications from third-party registration agencies before sending out registration cards. Yet, at the same time, the state does not mandate that the county independently verify social security numbers, dates of birth, or even names that are submitted. With a system like that in place, what could possibly go wrong?

Alert readers may be aware that this is not the first time a dog’s name has appeared on the voter rolls in New Mexico. In 2010, another black Lab mix, this one named Tuckup, was successfully registered. The dog’s owner, Don Pizzolato, was charged with voter fraud, which is felony, and sentenced to nine months’ probation. The case was later dropped—but Tuckup’s name remained in the active file. Several months before the midterm elections the pooch received information on where to go to cast his vote.

As for Buddy, his owner gives assurances that he has no intention of voting under the dog’s name. My question is whether the Democrats are willing to the make the same promise.

Related Articles

Follow me on Twitter or join me at Facebook. You can reach me at howard.portnoy@gmail.com or by posting a comment below.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

Guy is lucky that the state didn’t prosecute him like NH did when O’Keefe’s crew exposed the dead vote fraud.

Live free or die state. What a joke.

WeekendAtBernankes on March 1, 2012 at 1:01 PM

Hank has a web page that apparently lacks insufficient bandwidth to accommodate the traffic it is receiving

Um, Howard, “lacks insufficient”?

rbj on March 1, 2012 at 1:09 PM

Um, Howard, “lacks insufficient”?

rbj on March 1, 2012 at 1:09 PM

Ooops! Thanks, rbj.

Howard Portnoy on March 1, 2012 at 1:15 PM

Bow-wow-wow (with the emphasis on “wow”).

I’m pretty sure that dog signed recall papers for Scott Walker.

Steve Eggleston on March 1, 2012 at 1:23 PM

Change the title of this post, please.
New Mexico is abbreviated NM.

Pecos on March 1, 2012 at 1:27 PM

you do realize that Mew Mexico(NM)is a different state then Arizona(AZ)right?

Your Mamma loves me on March 1, 2012 at 1:36 PM

Ooops! Thanks, rbj.

Howard Portnoy on March 1, 2012 at 1:15 PM

You’re welcome. Annoying little habit I have of looking for grammatical mistakes.

rbj on March 1, 2012 at 1:44 PM

Change the title of this post, please.
New Mexico is abbreviated NM.

Pecos on March 1, 2012 at 1:27 PM

Man, am I ever stepping in it today! Thank you.

Howard Portnoy on March 1, 2012 at 1:52 PM

My question is whether the Democrats are willing to the make the same promise.

Dogs, dead dogs, dead people, nonexistent people, no matter. All that matters to DEMONcrats is the usurpation of power. How they achieve that end is irrelevant.

When I was a wee small Leprechaun, there was an expression that someone’s word was “a whore’s promise”. It wasn’t until I began dealing with Democrats that I fully understood the expression.

oldleprechaun on March 1, 2012 at 2:27 PM

We all know the Democrats biggest constituency is the Voter Fraud Brigades. Vote early, vote often!

squint on March 1, 2012 at 4:17 PM

when i first moved to Moscow-now Obamagrad-on-the-Charles ,i was turned away at the polls even though i had registered as a republican through a form the city sent me. they had even mailed me information of where i was to vote-but the poll workers refused to look at that or my IDs. fully credentialed, i stormed off to the city hall where i was told my historic apartment building (constructed in 1800 something) in an historic working class african american community ‘did not exist’…

perhaps i should have just sent one of the cats or my dead grandmother in my place…

i don’t see the problem with a voting dog. it may eat poop out of the cat box and lap it’s own butt but that’s still a more informed vote then most everyone who voted barry onto his throne.

mittens on March 2, 2012 at 8:11 AM