Green Room

Last Train to Clarksville: Davy Jones, Dead at 66

posted at 9:13 pm on February 29, 2012 by

In the late sixties this “kid” was an American heart-throb with a band called the Monkees. The music they played, (Davy, Mickey, Peter, and Michael) was just what the doctor ordered—full of fun. This morning Davy passed away:

Davy Jones, The Monkees’ lead singer and chief heartthrob of the ’60s TV phenomenon, died Wednesday of a massive heart attack at his home in Indiantown, Fla. He was 66.

With his British accent and trademark long hair, Jones was the Justin Bieber of his day, selected as America’s “dream prom date” for his TV appearances and singing lead on The Monkees’ classics “Daydream Believer” and “I Wanna Be Free.” Along with being The Cute One on “The Monkees” TV show, Jones was also The Content One.

“I just wanted to be in the show, fall in love twice in each episode and kiss the girls,” Jones told The Republican of Springfield, Mass., last month, in one of the star’s final interviews. “I had no ambition to be Steven Spielberg or Cecil B. DeMille.”

Here’s some pretty good utube videos/music to remember the good times:

Theme – Pilot – Intro

Last Train To Clarksville, 1967

I’m a Believer [official music video]

Daydream Believer

From the Hollywood Reporter:

News of his sudden death prompted heartfelt messages and remembrances among his former bandmates and other Hollywood notables, who looked back fondly on the singer’s long-spanning musical career.

“So many lovely and heartfelt messages of condolence and sympathy, I don’t know what to say, except my sincere thank you to all. I share and appreciate your feelings,” Jones’ former bandmate Michael Nesmith said on his Facebook page.

“David’s spirit and soul live well in my heart, among all the lovely people, who remember with me the good times, and the healing times, that were created for so many, including us. I have fond memories. I wish him safe travels,” he continued.

Micky Dolenz added, “I am in a state of shock; Davy and I grew up together and shared in the unique success of what became The Monkees phenomena. The time we worked together and had together is something I’ll never forget. He was the brother I never had and this leaves a gigantic hole in my heart. The memories have and will last a lifetime. My condolences go out to his family. ”

Peter Tork also expressed his sympathy via Facebook, saying, “It is with great sadness that I reflect on the sudden passing of my long-time friend and fellow-adventurer, David Jones. His talent will be much missed; his gifts will be with us always. My deepest sympathy to Jessica and the rest of his family. Adios, to the Manchester Cowboy. Peace and love, Peter T.”

More at the link~~

Rest in Peace Davy, and thanks for wonderful music that crossed the paths of generations.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

From a generation that only knew him for a fantastic cameo in the Brady Bunch movie, RIP to Davey Jones. When pop stars were real men…

HTnFBCoachnTX1980 on February 29, 2012 at 9:20 PM

When I was growing up in Czechoslovakia, my oldest brother was a guy “who knew how to get things” and brought a Monkey’s record album home one night. It was some time in the 80′s and I think I was about 10 or 11 years old.

Although the record was almost 20 years old, we thought we had died and gone to heaven listening to it over and over and over.

Thanks for posting Rovin and bringing back a good memory for me.

RIP Davy.

JPeterman on February 29, 2012 at 10:02 PM

God bless Davy. You made me laugh, and you were fun. You and all the Monkees. Thanks for all the happiness.

itsspideyman on February 29, 2012 at 10:25 PM

Another piece of my childhood is now gone. I was born several years after the TV show was on, but my parents were Monkees fans, so I became one too. Davy was always my favorite and “Daydream Believer” is still one of my all-time favorite songs – partly because my middle name is part of the lyrics. The first concert I ever attended was when Davy, Mickey and Peter did their 20th anniversary reunion tour. RIP, Davy.

Alia on March 1, 2012 at 12:28 AM

Still remember the 6-7 hour car trips to go see the grandparents in the old Aspen wagon with The Monkees in the tape deck. Davy was my second favorite Monkee to Micky.

Listening to Davy and Micky on “Gonna Buy Me A Dog” still makes me laugh.

Left Coast Right Mind on March 1, 2012 at 12:46 AM

I was 10 when their show debuted and had about 4 of their albums (actually I still have them). I’d play them over and over on the hi-fi until my mother would pull her hair out. They came to Houston in 1967 or 1968 but I couldn’t go because I was too young. So in the mid-80s, when they had a reunion tour (sans Mike), I and some friends of mine finally got to see them. Everyone attending knew every word to every song. It really hits home when you see someone from your childhood pass away, because he was only 10 years older than I was. I’ll take the Monkees any day over the crap on the radio today.

TxAnn56 on March 1, 2012 at 12:53 AM

Marcia Brady hardest hit.

philoquin on March 1, 2012 at 1:03 AM

That was then…
This is now.

RIP Davy

Marcola on March 1, 2012 at 2:14 AM

Great show, and loved that “Sugga Dugga” that they had that you pour on your cereal.

good, clean fun.

Thank you Monkees.

PappyD61 on March 1, 2012 at 9:10 AM

RIP, Davey. Thanks for the fun.

GWB on March 1, 2012 at 9:53 AM