Green Room

Story of rich banker tipping a niggardly 1% turns out to be hoax (Update)

posted at 12:19 pm on February 28, 2012 by

How greedy are members of the so-called 1%? A “news item” reported last Friday by the Huffington Post and CNN seemed to answer that question.

Leaked initially by the blog Future Ex-Banker (since defunct), the story detailed the unseemly habits of one wealthy Newport Beach, California, banker who was so put off by references to the 99% that he had begun routinely leaving a 1% tip whenever restaurant service was not up to his preternaturally high standards. Wrote the anonymous blogger:

I work in the corporate office of a major bank for a boss who represents everything wrong with the financial industry: blatant disregard and outright contempt for everyone and everything he deems beneath him. On top of that, he’s a complete and utter tool. At the same time, I’m still cashing paychecks, an admittedly willing—albeit reluctant—cog in the wheel of this increasingly ugly industry, so I’ve created this blog as a confessional of sorts. It won’t entirely clear my conscience, but hopefully it’ll help. I’m sure I’ll get fired eventually. Until then, enjoy.

The centerpiece of the blog post and subsequent news reports was a photo of a receipt from a recent meal in which the boss had run up a bill of $133.54 and left a tip of $1.33. To add insult to injury, the cheap S.O.B. had gone so far as to draw a circle around the word Tip on the receipt and added the advice “Get a real job.”

There’s just one problem with the story: It never happened. HuffPo issued a retraction, but not before the story “set off a hailstorm of online comments that touched on the 1% vs. 99% class warfare embodied by the Occupy movement,” reports CBS2/KCAL9.

The restaurant told the news station they have confirmed that the photo of the receipt was photoshopped. They are in possession of the original receipt, which shows a bottom line charge of just over $30 and a tip of 20%. There was no message left for the waitress.

Sadly, this is not the only report of the left-leaning media falling for a hoax in recent days. Tim Graham of Newsbusters notes that the Capital Times of Madison, Wisconsin, “wrote up a story based on a on a prank anti-Paul Ryan press release”:

In this fictional scenario, Ryan and other Wisconsin Republicans supposedly were pressuring the Smithsonian to remove posters from last year’s anti-Scott Walker protests at the state Capitol from its archives.

In the release and Capital Times story, Ryan was quoted as saying, ‘Look, you can’t be displaying and archiving art that celebrates protests that were heavily aimed at Republicans, and then expect that Republicans are going to smile nicely and sit down and try and work with the Smithsonian.’ The prankster was a local radical, ‘labor cartoonist’ Mike Konopacki….

So is this where the left’s fractious ideological positions have taken it? If they can’t find a story that supports their views, they invent one?

UPDATE: Reader scarchin (see comments) points out this video of CNN’s holier-than-thou coverage of the story. It is definitely worth watching, if for no other reason than to revel in host Soledad O’Brien’s self-righteous indignation over a story that turned out to be bogus.

Related Articles

Follow me on Twitter or join me at Facebook. You can reach me at howard.portnoy@gmail.com or by posting a comment below.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

Uber-rich liberal John Kerry is rumored to be a terrible tipper.

Wigglesworth on February 28, 2012 at 12:35 PM

Racist.

MadisonConservative on February 28, 2012 at 12:39 PM

Pretty much. Yep. Even after it’s debunked, no doubt some on the Left will cling to this story and argue that it’s symbolic of a Greater Truth about the injustice of the 1%.

That’s assuming they’d believe Management’s claim about the original bill and tip in the first place. Those 1%-ers stick together, you know. Pics or Management is lying. And if Management produces the pics, throw the photoshopping charge right back in their faces.

BTW, are you baiting liberals with your use of the “racist” word niggardly? Because anyone of intelligence (as the Left defines it, anyway) knows that the only time people use an outdated word like niggardly is when they want to use secret dog-whistle code to let other conservatives know that they think black people are lazy.

Or something.

(P.S. Why isn’t the Preview button working for this post? My apologies in advance for any typos.)

JimLennon on February 28, 2012 at 12:42 PM

I figured this had to be a hoax when I first read it.

SWLiP on February 28, 2012 at 12:47 PM

Racist.

Mad, your comment is a placeholder. The real ones, I suspect, are on the way.

Howard Portnoy on February 28, 2012 at 12:51 PM

Just ask Peter Gleick.

rbj on February 28, 2012 at 12:52 PM

Fake but accurate!
Why do you running-dog oppressors attempt to muzzle the vanguard of the proletariat with your bourgeois notions of honesty or objective truth? Only the Party of the People (as represented by the rich, well-connected, and powerful) can dictate what today’s current truth is to be.

/sarc

TABoLK on February 28, 2012 at 12:54 PM

Howard Portnoy on February 28, 2012 at 12:51 PM

Not to fear Howard: I’ll be happy to vouch for you with “the community”…sure, it’ll cost you some, but it’s worth it..think of it as insurance… :o)

BlaxPac on February 28, 2012 at 1:12 PM

Beavis: “heh heh heh. he said “niggardly”. heh heh heh.”

Butthead: “I wonder if he’s gonna find a chink in the armor somewhere. heh heh heh.”

Tom Servo on February 28, 2012 at 1:30 PM

Much obliged, Blax. ;-)

Howard Portnoy on February 28, 2012 at 1:32 PM

Must you use that racist word? It SOUNDS close enough to the N-word so it shows that you wanted to use it but were too cowardly to do so, you covert racialist racist of racism!

thebrokenrattle on February 28, 2012 at 1:33 PM

In all seriousness it’s a perfectly good word. Why avoid it? And if we must, then I object to future use of the word kite, which I as a Jew find close enough to kike to be offensive. (We should also eschew the word hospitality, since it contains spit, which is an offensive action.)

Howard Portnoy on February 28, 2012 at 1:47 PM

Racist.

Mad, your comment is a placeholder. The real ones, I suspect, are on the way.

The fact that this story was totally bogus was indeed a chink in its armor.

Pervygrin on February 28, 2012 at 2:15 PM

The fact that this story was totally bogus was indeed a chink in its armor.

Among the privileges of being conservative: Having a sense of humor.

Howard Portnoy on February 28, 2012 at 2:19 PM

Blax. ;-)

Howard Portnoy on February 28, 2012 at 1:32 PM

Afrixan American, racist.

MadisonConservative on February 28, 2012 at 2:30 PM

How-ard, come on, the racialist racist of racism thing didn’t tip you off to my sarcasm? It’s a fine word and my “compliant” was based off the 1999 David Howard controversy

thebrokenrattle on February 28, 2012 at 3:13 PM

thebrokenrattle on February 28, 2012 at 3:13 PM

No, I got the “/sarc” reading in your comment, broken. I just wanted to state that reality for the benefit of any trolls in the area. By the way, should anyone be unfamiliar with it, the David Howard controversy is a marvelous example of liberal sanctimony gone wild.

Howard Portnoy on February 28, 2012 at 3:26 PM

Haha. The uber righteousness of the stories was beyond the limit.

SouthernGent on February 28, 2012 at 3:44 PM

Which demonstrates their cartoonish understanding of the World.

NowIveSeenItAll on February 28, 2012 at 3:50 PM

I thought that word had officially been banned. Like master-slave in electronic parts, and black holes off greeting cards.

John the Libertarian on February 28, 2012 at 6:01 PM

This rrrrrracist thread needs to be cleaned, spic and span!

Oops.

princetrumpet on February 28, 2012 at 7:25 PM

This hoax is example #5347653298 of the truth: LEFTISTS LIE.

WannabeAnglican on February 28, 2012 at 8:18 PM

Much obliged, Blax. ;-)

Howard Portnoy on February 28, 2012 at 1:32 PM

You are excused, my son, for your insensitive misdeeds in thoughts and in action.

Now, 200 “Our Father, The One” and 500 “Barrack-Hussein-Obama…Mmmmm Mmmm MMM!” and a small donation ($5000, or more) to my Super-PAC, and all will be forgiven.

Now go forth and sin no more against his Greatness, peasant.

Afrixan American, racist.

MadisonConservative on February 28, 2012 at 2:30 PM

Don’t forget: Conservative Pro American, Pro-Western, NRA Life Member, and son/grandson of Marines…

All in all I’m good with it. Heheheh

BlaxPac on February 28, 2012 at 11:35 PM

Surely this isn’t your first rodeo, Mr. Portnoy.

Maybe you remember that schoolteacher the Mocha Messiah lied about in a speech a few months ago. When asked by a reporter if it bothered him that that the…ahem…President played fast and loose with the facts, the leftist stooge replied, “No, because he’s in pursuit of a higher truth.”

So yes, these thoroughly repugnant little sh*ts see absolutely nothing wrong with propagating a lie, so long as it serves their Gaia-given purpose.

My Sharia Moor on February 29, 2012 at 7:29 AM

Here’s the link to the story I mentioned above.

Oh, and Obama’s a SCOAMF, enabled by the sorriest examples of parasitic sociopaths since the Khmer Rouge.

My Sharia Moor on February 29, 2012 at 7:32 AM

Here’s the link to the story I mentioned above.

My Sharia, thanks for the link. I had forgotten about that story, but it’s a good one.

Howard Portnoy on February 29, 2012 at 9:39 AM

Pro American, Pro-Western

BlaxPac on February 28, 2012 at 11:35 PM

MEGA racist.

MadisonConservative on February 29, 2012 at 9:48 AM

OOOOHHHH. You must apologize and completely disregard the definition of that unmentionable word. I think a world apology tour commenced immediately might allow you to continue living in this country, not working mind you, just living. /sarc

dmn1972 on February 29, 2012 at 10:36 AM

Not good taste.

bernverdnardo1 on February 29, 2012 at 11:45 AM

MadisonConservative on February 29, 2012 at 9:48 AM

And I eat red meat too…Grrrrr…

BlaxPac on February 29, 2012 at 2:31 PM