It’s what’s for dinner—if you are de facto WH food czar
posted at 1:35 pm on February 27, 2012 by Howard Portnoy
What would you rather eat: A steak or a chef’s salad? Plain corn or creamed spinach? Raw baby carrots or crab mac and cheese? A banana or pear tart à la mode? Skim chocolate milk or white wine?
Clearly there are people who would opt for the first (read: healthful) item in each pair. Equally clearly, one of those people is not First Lady Michelle Obama.
Keith Koffler of White House Dossier reports:
The White House Sunday epically failed to practice what its first lady preaches, serving the nation’s governors a more than 2,000 calorie dinner even as Michelle Obama traverses the country promoting health eating.
While Michelle lectures children to cut out the fat and eat their vegetables unadorned with caloric sauces, she served the governors—who are in Washington for their annual meeting—a feast that included lard-marbled steak, vegetables slathered with dairy enhancements, and dessert.
The White House has proposed mandating meals for elementary school kids that include none of these items, or anything like them.
Koffler goes on to list the Wednesday lunch menu proposed on the White House website, then lists the menu fed to the governors, which provided 2,000 calories—a full day’s worth for women and 500 short of the same benchmark for men.
It is one thing for the first lady to attempt to control what American schoolchildren are fed at lunchtime. It is another for her to claim she is using the rule of law to clamp down on lifestyle-related health problems, then look the other way when the White House chefs lay on the fat and calories.
- School refuses to allow preschooler to eat ‘non-nutritious’ lunch from home
- Anti-meat group to Heart Attack Grill: ‘Shut it down’
- Customer has heart attack while eating aptly named Triple Bypass Burger
- PETA: Prison should serve flesh-free meals to cannibal inmate
- Michelle Obama, creating jobs one bauble at a time
- First Lady spent $10 million in taxpayer money on vacations last year
- Putting country ahead of vacation
- Are Americans unwittingly helping the Food Police?
- LA school district lunch program spawns thriving junk food black market
Recently in the Green Room:
- Real question: Does Obama’s budget fund overseas abortions to protect endangered animals?
- Photo of the day: Crimea now belongs to Russia, at least on Russian propaganda TV
- Vatican: Pope Francis wasn’t talking about same-sex relationships; Update: “Civil unions” explained
- RNC ad: Crying infant greets Obama’s new debt-laden budget
- Update: Grayson dismisses ‘erratic’ wife after abuse allegation