Green Room

Galway, Ireland to build monument to mass murderer Che

posted at 11:36 am on February 24, 2012 by

No worse insult to Che Guevara’s forgotten victims: The Galway Advertiser reports that “A major and innovative monument to the Irish-Argentinean revolutionary, guerilla, doctor, writer, and politician Ernesto ‘Che’ Guevara, has taken a step closer to becoming a reality this week.

The Galway Advertiser understands that City Hall’s arts officer James Harrold will commission a scale model of the proposed monument to be made. This will then be presented to the Galway City Council’s Working Group on Public Arts for consideration, and later city manager Joe O’Neill for final approval. The approval of city councillors may also need to be sought.

The idea to erect a monument to Che Guevara comes from a proposal made by Labour councillor Billy Cameron, an ardent admirer of the revolutionary, that a monument be erected in Galway and that the project be undertaken in conjunction with the Cuban and Argentinean embassies to Ireland.

The proposed monument has been designed by Simon McGuinness and it is understood that it will feature the iconic image of Che created by the Irish artist Jim Fitzpatrick, commonly seen on posters and T-shirts.

Both men were in Galway recently to inspect proposed sites for the location of the Che monument. While no definite site has been chosen it is likely that the Salthill Promenade, possibly around the area of the Atlantaquaria, will be its location.

There should be no room in a beautiful city like Galway, in a free country like Ireland, to honor a mass murdering sociopathic racist Communist whose aim in life was to destroy the very freedoms and rights the Irish have struggled so hard to attain throughout their history. To build this monument, with the aim of making it a tourist attraction, is an insult to the very ideals of the Irish nation and the city of Galway.

Since no definite site has been chosen, it’s still time to stop it.

Here is the Galway City website. You can contact Billy Cameron at bcameron@eircom.net. Please make sure to be polite and civil when you contact them.

Cross-posted at Fausta’s blog.

(h/t Gates of Vienna)

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

It should be a blood-stained, bullet-pocket adobe wall.

Idiots…!!!

Ragspierre on February 24, 2012 at 11:51 AM

Disgusting.

Has Ireland really forgotten why communism and monarchy are the same, and terrible???

KMC1 on February 24, 2012 at 11:58 AM

He’s a member of something called the “Cuba Support Group”, a totalitarian-supporting Cuban front organization whose primary theme seems to be to agitate for the freedom of Cuban spies imprisoned in the US. It sure is entertaining to read the website; it’s a journey back to the 20′s in time. These clowns sound like my great-aunt, who took her honeymoon in Moscow because Stalin was so inspiring.

MTF on February 24, 2012 at 12:09 PM

This is not a difference of opinion. This is a difference of fundamental values.

The people who are promoting this monument are embracing evil.

fadetogray on February 24, 2012 at 12:17 PM

Sounds like you lot need to lay off the whiskey. It wasn’t all that long ago that YOU were the ones being shot, starved, and shipped off from home and family for the pettiest reasons. Or has Ireland been infected with a bad case of “American memory” and forgot all about it?

If you’re going to build a monument for this monster, why not go for equality and build one for Oliver Cromwell too?!

MelonCollie on February 24, 2012 at 12:20 PM

MelonCollie on February 24, 2012 at 12:20 PM

Beat me to it.

Nom de Boom on February 24, 2012 at 12:23 PM

Pity. I wanted to travel to Ireland for awhile (maybe i’ll get mistaken for Don Cheadle!), especially when I get a chance to spend two weeks in Great Britain…

Not now, after this. It’s bad enough Europe is giving ground hand over fist to those that want to return to the Dark Ages, but now this?

Maybe I’m better off to go to visit (and support with my tourista $$$) our Aussie & New Zealand cousins instead…have they succumbed to this insanity yet?

BlaxPac on February 24, 2012 at 12:39 PM

BlaxPac, you can go drink some good Irish stout…

and salute the Che memorial in whatever way nature enables and conscience suggests.

Very Irish, after all…

Ragspierre on February 24, 2012 at 1:31 PM

I sent a note to Billy, but now I see that he is a Che promoter, so the note will most likely have zero effect. I couldn’t find an email addy for the Galway City Council’s Working Group on Public Arts. Will keep looking…

Fallon on February 24, 2012 at 3:05 PM

Galway City Council’s Working Group on Public Arts:

megs.morley@galwaycity.ie

Fallon on February 24, 2012 at 3:11 PM

BlaxPac, you can go drink some good Irish stout…

Very Irish, after all…

Ragspierre on February 24, 2012 at 1:31 PM

LMAO…Well, I *do* like stout… :o)

Then again, I wouldn’t even waste good used stout that way…I got it! I can Occupy Che Memorial:Galway!, and do to *it* the same as that OWS Turd w/Two feet did to that NYPD car.

Nahhh. My mom raised me better than that. Besides, I’m too clean to be a Occupier

BlaxPac on February 24, 2012 at 4:09 PM

Ireland has a long history of Marxist ideology. The IRA and Sinn-Fein are historically both Marxist. (Most of) Ireland was liberated by a “terrorist” campaign against the British Empire. The Irish have much sympathy for anyone who claims to be a victim of imperial oppression. They went through about 4 centuries of such oppression.

Most of these commenters don’t have the slightest clue about Ireland.

Daikokuco on February 24, 2012 at 4:16 PM

It should be a blood-stained, bullet-pocket adobe wall.

Idiots…!!!

Ragspierre on February 24, 2012 at 11:51 AM

With a bloody blindfold and a half burned cigarette.

jclittlep on February 24, 2012 at 4:50 PM

BlaxPac on February 24, 2012 at 4:09 PM

Yeah, but a man’s gotta do what a man’s gotta do.

It is all a matter of choosing where, when and how.

I can think of no better place.

If ever I am in Galway, and they DO create this atrocity, I WILL make it a point to vent my pint.

So to speak…

Ragspierre on February 24, 2012 at 6:36 PM

There is a lot of envy in todays Ireland. Small minded and petty. This is no doubt an attempt to feel relavent in a world that is passing them by(again). These same leftists that are singing Che’s praises were the same ones who rode on the back of the Celtic tiger,flew to NY to do there Xmas shopping and built garish houses that they now cannot afford to heat.
And they call Americans vulgar.

Thicklugdonkey on February 24, 2012 at 7:36 PM

This is a difficult topic for me. Being Irish, I have made it a point to learn about my country of ancestry, and particularly the Troubles.

The problem here is that the IRA that operated for the last few decades of the 20th century was a terrorist group…one that sympathized with other groups that they saw as downtrodden. This included Palestinians, Cubans, and various South American guerrilla movements. As a result, the majority of the Irish are extremely left-learning…even more so than the Brits. So…*sigh*…they don’t see Che as a mass murderer. They see him as little different than they did, fighting to end the British occupation. Having examined events like Bloody Sunday, I can see where they’re coming from, even if I don’t agree with all they’ve done. Ireland is an endlessly tragic nation.

MadisonConservative on February 25, 2012 at 1:13 AM

You are all looking at this the wrong way.

This is great news!

It obviously means that Ireland has solved all of its financial problems and fully turned its economy around.

Otherwise they surely wouldn’t be wasting money on nonsense like this, right? Right?????

VelvetElvis on February 25, 2012 at 6:28 AM

Pol Pot would make a cooler monument.

thuja on February 25, 2012 at 9:16 AM

MadisonConservative on February 25, 2012 at 1:13 AM

Exactly right. Having been a student of Irish history for some decades, and traveled there numerous times to further study the political and historical/cultural landscape, I agree wholeheartedly with your assessment. Ireland is not the United States; Britain is not the United States either. Americans really should try to keep that in mind. The Irish people are a wonderful people; but they do not have the same worldview–they are a very small island, with a history of being occupied by a foreign government [just facts] and their perspective, passed down through generations of family lore, includes suffering beyond belief [an gorta mor--the great starvation]. Rightly or wrongly, Che represents a “freedom fighter” to them. I really think it’s arrogant beyond belief to try to tell people in another country they cannot build a statue of Che–in fact, in my view, it borders on ludicrous. If one doesn’t know the first thing about Ireland’s political/historical/cultural/economic landscape, one has no business telling them what to do in their own country.

Fausta: Get over yourself. We have our OWN problems in America.

mountainaires on February 25, 2012 at 10:15 AM

It should be a blood-stained, bullet-pocket adobe wall.

Idiots…!!!

Ragspierre on February 24, 2012 at 11:51 AM

With a bloody blindfold and a half burned cigarette.

jclittlep on February 24, 2012 at 4:50 PM

Shucks, after reading the inanity proposed by these idiots, I couldn’t wait to get down here and comment… but alas, Ragspierre & jclittlp have already shared the perfect comments, so I can say little but, Hear, Hear!!

Pecozbill on February 25, 2012 at 10:54 AM

Rightly or wrongly, Che represents a “freedom fighter” to them.

Um…WTF…!?!?

“Stupid is as stupid does”.

Rightly or wrongly…

Ragspierre on February 25, 2012 at 1:14 PM

Free Cuba should put up a statue to Oliver Cromwell, who knew how to sack him a Galway back in the day.

J.E. Dyer on February 25, 2012 at 1:33 PM

So when did Chi-chi “Anticristo” Guava suddenly become part-Irish??

Olo_Burrows on February 25, 2012 at 4:49 PM

….Rightly or wrongly, Che represents a “freedom fighter” to them. I really think it’s arrogant beyond belief to try to tell people in another country they cannot build a statue of Che–in fact, in my view, it borders on ludicrous. ….

mountainaires on February 25, 2012 at 10:15 AM

Be proud of your rationalization for excusing the embracing of evil. Be proud of your condemnation of those who stand to criticize the embracing of evil.

Be very proud you have taken instruction so well. Good doggie.

fadetogray on February 25, 2012 at 10:46 PM