ObamaCare architect: Health insurance premiums will rise, not fall, under law
posted at 1:09 pm on February 11, 2012 by Howard Portnoy
The other shoe has finally dropped in the Obama administration’s magical thinking about the cost of health insurance premiums under the Affordable Care Act. From The Daily Caller:
Massachusetts Institute of Technology economist Jonathan Gruber, who also devised former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney’s statewide health care reforms, is backtracking on an analysis he provided the White House in support of the 2010 Affordable Care Act, informing officials in three states that the price of insurance premiums will dramatically increase under the reforms.
The revelation, as DC writer Myles Miller notes, is in direct contradiction to the president’s claim that premiums under his health reform law would be “lower than they would be otherwise; health care costs overall are going to be lower than they would be otherwise.” The new report also flies in the face of Gruber’s own 2009 projections that the law would “significantly reduce, not increase, non-group premiums.”
Echoing conservative reservations about the effects of the law on the marketplace, Gruber now acknowledges that “even after tax credits some individuals are ‘losers,’ in that they pay more than before [Obama's] reform.”
The chilling effect of ObamaCare on jobs has also been well-documented. A U.S. Chamber of Commerce Small Business Outlook Survey conducted in July of 2011 noted that 33% of business owners identified the health care law as either the greatest or second-greatest obstacle to new hiring that employers faced.
- Obama’s car czar: ‘We never said taxpayers would get auto bailout money back’
- Obama arranging deck chairs on the Titanic: Says ‘EPA regs create jobs’
- Obama’s Agriculture Secretary: Food Stamps create jobs (Video)
- Jay Carney claims unemployment checks create jobs
- Poll: 62% of Americans say Obama’s stimulus created more debt
- CBO: Jobs created or “saved” by stimulus cost U.S. taxpayers $228,055 a pop
- First glimpse of Obama’s big September jobs plan: Repeat the stimulus
- ObamaCare, the great job killer
- Shared sacrifice: Cutting ObamaCare could save $2 trillion
Recently in the Green Room:
- Real question: Does Obama’s budget fund overseas abortions to protect endangered animals?
- Photo of the day: Crimea now belongs to Russia, at least on Russian propaganda TV
- Vatican: Pope Francis wasn’t talking about same-sex relationships; Update: “Civil unions” explained
- RNC ad: Crying infant greets Obama’s new debt-laden budget
- Update: Grayson dismisses ‘erratic’ wife after abuse allegation