TSA trains Super Bowl stadium vendors to ID terrorists
posted at 12:54 pm on February 3, 2012 by Howard Portnoy
Talk about the blind leading the half blind. From Government Security News (h/t Drudge Report):
According to TSA, Super Bowl fans may encounter TSA Visible Intermodal Prevention and Response (VIPR) teams at local transportation venues, including commercial and general aviation facilities and mass transit….
Additionally, TSA said over 8,000 stadium vendors, parking lot attendants, shuttle bus drivers, and other transportation professionals received the agency’s First Observer training for detecting and assessing indicators and planning tactics of potential terrorist activities. [Emphasis added]
Sounds like a capital idea. Flag down the guy selling peanuts and receive a pat down free of charge.
Considering the TSA’s less than stellar record—the agency has been guilty of 25,000 security fumbles since 2001—one wonders if they are in the best position to provide training to non-professionals for the big game. Some of the agency’s recent misadventures have included detaining a teen with a handgun design on her pocketbook. And who can forget the quick-witted, eagle-eyed screeners who confiscated a plastic toy hammer that functioned as a security blanket for a mentally challenged man?
One wonders as well whether recruiting stadium personnel to operate as snitches under the VIPR’s “See Something, Say Something” program is not a recipe for chaos or worse.
- TSA airport screeners stop teen with handgun design on pocketbook
- TSA guilty of 25,000 security breaches since 2001
- Did TSA allow a stun gun through airport security?
- Latest TSA fail: Four massive chef’s knives waved through O’Hare security
- TSA takes toy away from mentally challenged man
- TSA staff at JFK fails to detect box cutters in passenger’s carry-on luggage
- TSA follies: Intruder sneaks onto plane at JFK
- TSA fails to nab man traveling with no ID and fake day-old boarding pass
Subscribe at the top of the page to have my articles sent directly to your e-mail inbox. Follow me on Twitter or join me at Facebook. You can reach me at firstname.lastname@example.org or by posting a comment below.
Recently in the Green Room:
- “I don’t think you’d find…even a small number of Republicans voting for any kind of bill that has amnesty first and enforcement second”
- Photo of the day
- Programming note: Hosting the Hugh Hewitt Show this week
- It’s come to this: Democrats now complaining that … the Senate hasn’t passed a budget
- Video: The worst pageant answer ever?