Green Room

Bradley Manning heading to full Court Martial

posted at 7:35 pm on February 3, 2012 by

The long, deliberative military process has finally reached the top of the food chain. Reports are coming out today that Maj. Gen. Michael S. Linnington has followed the recommendations of the preliminary hearing and will send Bradley Manning to Court Martial for a variety of crimes including aiding the enemy in a time of war.

The commander of the Military District of Washington has ordered a court-martial for Pfc. Bradley E. Manning, the former intelligence analyst accused of giving hundreds of thousands of classified documents to the anti-secrecy group WikiLeaks.

Maj. Gen. Michael S. Linnington made the decision Friday after reviewing testimony and arguments from a preliminary hearing at Fort Meade in December, officials said.

There was no word on whether the as-yet-unscheduled court-martial would also be held at Fort Meade, one of three installations within the military district equipped to host such a proceeding.

While Manning would normally qualify for death (likely before a firing squad) all current reports indicate that the prosecution will only seek life in prison. Either way, the investigation has gone on long enough that the Army clearly feels they have the goods and can deliver a case sufficient to obtain a conviction. The current odds would indicate that Manning will likely never see the outside of a prison again.

What remains to be seen is if Julian Assange will be drawn into this web following revelations that his chat logs were tied to Manning from his laptop. The case is complicated, since Assange is currently awaiting possible extradition and trial in the UK for sexual assault charges.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

I’m guessing that , if he is convicted, his life will be much shorter than the average life span. Just a guess.

I’m sure the process will take a long time. It could be more than a year before he is found guilty.

As far as Assange is concerned, he may be culpable but he will never be tried. JMO

Nelsa on February 3, 2012 at 7:45 PM

Nelsa on February 3, 2012 at 7:45 PM

They’d put him in solitary in the US Disciplinary Barracks (military prison) at Fort Leavenworth. He’d be perfectly safe. Miserable, but safe.

J.E. Dyer on February 4, 2012 at 12:18 AM

I hope the kid rots. I’ve known plenty of people in intel who, even if they tried, couldn’t get into a fraction of the trouble that this twerp managed to get himself into.

Then again, we were linguists, ohohohohoho /scoff

mintycrys on February 4, 2012 at 12:34 AM

mintycrys on February 4, 2012 at 12:34 AM

We were “Ditty Boppers” USAFSS

And you are right.

Nelsa on February 4, 2012 at 9:01 AM

J.E. Dyer on February 4, 2012 at 12:18 AM

Its own special level of Hell. He’s 24, probably going to live to 84, imagine spending 60 years confined to a small cell, granted very limited time out of it. And it’s what he deserves.

rbj on February 4, 2012 at 9:21 AM

I hope they throw the book at this slime! I also hope the trial won’t drag on and on as that rop type murderer at Ft Hood trial is doing! His trial has been set back till June and probably he will never go to trial? That is one slime that NEEDS the death penalty!
L

letget on February 4, 2012 at 11:12 AM

I think he would do just fine in prison and his problems will be no greater than other prisoners problems. He’s been in general pop for several months, now.

Blake on February 4, 2012 at 11:21 AM

It still begs the question. What window licking idiot trusted a 19 year old kid with access to every secret document the country had from every single agency?

Snake307 on February 4, 2012 at 12:13 PM

And it’s what he deserves.

rbj on February 4, 2012 at 9:21 AM

Darn tootin.

J.E. Dyer on February 4, 2012 at 4:59 PM

Consequences — it’s what’s for dinner.

Get the pink room ready at Leavenworth.

hillbillyjim on February 4, 2012 at 5:14 PM

If there was any real justice, Manning would be convicted and sent to a women’s prison.

If you catch my drift . . .

BigAlSouth on February 5, 2012 at 6:42 AM

rbj on February 4, 2012 at 9:21 AM

While I do think it is what he deserves, I wish our civilization weren’t so decadent and he was executed by a firing squad. I don’t like much about Islamic culture, but I do admire how they are firm in their punishment of serious crimes.

Anyway, how do we know that some future Democratic president won’t pardon him?

thuja on February 5, 2012 at 10:47 AM

If you catch my drift . . .

BigAlSouth on February 5, 2012 at 6:42 AM

No. Gays are in the military to stay, and gay men have to be treated as men. I honestly have no clue what the future will bring in terms of the role of women, but if we decide to keep distinctions (and I think we should), we don’t want to be playing silly guessing games about a soldier’s sexual orientation.

thuja on February 5, 2012 at 10:52 AM

. . . we don’t want to be playing silly guessing games about a soldier’s sexual orientation.

thuja on February 5, 2012 at 10:52 AM

Guess you didn’t catch my drift. Besides, BM’s sexual orientation is not the subject of a guessing game.

BigAlSouth on February 5, 2012 at 10:59 AM

Snake307 on February 4, 2012 at 12:13 PM

My guess as a techie is someone who was too lazy to set up proper security, or gave out way-too-high access levels to everyone and his brother.

You would not BELIEVE how many security breaches get traced back to one or both of those causes. My own father was the target of wrath at his workplace because he refused to allow the latter for the convenience of a higher-up.

MelonCollie on February 5, 2012 at 7:53 PM

Melon, you’d also be surprised how many clearances get handed out when they aren’t even requested. I was given a “Secret” clearance while in the Navy and I didn’t request it, nor did anyone in my chain of command request it. I didn’t know I had it until a review of my 201 (service jacket as we called it). I requested the review when classified stuff started coming to me for seemingly no reason. Note: I was junior enlisted when this took place (E-2 of all things).

@J.E. & rbj – he may deserve the lonely cell, but the country deserves and needs him to go to a post with the clip put up on you tube.

Then we put a price on Assange’s noggin. Just the head.

Quartermaster on February 6, 2012 at 8:04 PM

Top Pick

“Bernie and Jane Sanders have lawyered up.”

Winning isn’t everything. It is the only thing

Trump signs VA reform bill into law

John Sexton Jun 23, 2017 2:41 PM

A new era of something.

“…died suddenly in less than a week just after his return to the U.S.”

The shortsightedness of “Denounce and Preserve”

Taylor Millard Jun 23, 2017 12:11 PM

Pragmatism for the sake of pragmatism doesn’t always work.

Perhaps if you threw in a new car?

Gay marriages still growing, but not as fast

Andrew Malcolm Jun 23, 2017 10:31 AM

More, but not as quickly.

Should’ve stuck with the pirate gig. It was working for him

The battle for the rubble of Raqqa is underway

Andrew Malcolm Jun 23, 2017 8:51 AM

Won’t be much left.

Your list of demands is a publicity stunt

“The jobs are still leaving. Nothing has stopped.”

Bad vendor. Bad! No cookie!

“So you want me to sing my praises, is that what you’re saying?”

Why would we possibly want that?

“I mean he sold our country to The Russians.”

I could think of someone else you might want to ask about…

Trump: I never made any recordings of Comey

Allahpundit Jun 22, 2017 2:01 PM

Bluff.

Hackers stole private data from election databases

John Sexton Jun 22, 2017 1:21 PM

Failure to protect the city

Big man on the Middle Eastern campus

Biased Americans see media as biased.

Tough times down on the liberal ranch

Will Nancy Pelosi survive this latest Dem disaster?

Andrew Malcolm Jun 22, 2017 8:41 AM

Eat quick, before it’s gone.

Slow your roll, boss

“I’m bothered by the lack of emerging evidence…”

FIrst look at the Senate health bill

John Sexton Jun 21, 2017 9:21 PM