Green Room

LA Times calls Rick Perry a ‘hillbilly’; will liberals demand an apology?

posted at 2:30 pm on January 18, 2012 by

You hear that sound? Of course you do. It’s a dog whistle. I’m told that we conservatives (read: racists) use dog whistles all the time to clandestinely run down members of minority groups and others with whom we disagree.

It is fascinating, I will concede, that the people we use these coded messages to badmouth—blacks, Latinos, etc.—often seem more adept at hearing the high-frequency whistles than we do. Why, just today, Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee became the latest member of the Congressional Black Caucus to call out Newt Gingrich for the “underlying suggestions” in his reference to Barack Obama as the food stamps president. A video of her remarks can be found here.

I heard Gingrich make that reference during the debate, and while it was my sense that he wasn’t attempting to flatter the president, on whose watch the number of Americans at or below the poverty line reached its highest level since the 1960s, I wasn’t unaware of any underlying message having to do with race.

Maybe I’m just that sort of tone-deaf person who needs to have ethnic slurs clearly enunciated in order to hear them. Here’s one that rang loud and clear when I read it.

How long are we going to have to listen to this hillbilly nonsense before Perry bows to the inevitable and drops out of the GOP presidential race?

The authors of that putdown were the opinion staff of the Los Angeles Times, and to their credit they didn’t mince their words. They came right out and called the governor of a southern state a hillbilly. The offense that prompted the use of that pejorative term was Rick Perry’s defense of four marines who desecrated Taliban corpses by urinating on them. But the reason is inconsequential. Name calling can be hurtful, as we are so often reminded.

Since the term hillbilly is a slur of an entire group of Americans, I am assuming that the leadership of the DNC and other voices on the left will be issuing condemnations of the LA Timesshortly.

Related Articles

Follow me on Twitter or join me at Facebook. You can reach me at howard.portnoy@gmail.com or by posting a comment below.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

Since the term hillbilly is a slur of an entire group of Americans, I am assuming that the leadership of the DNC and other voices on the left will be issuing condemnations of the LA Timesshortly.

Just don’t hold your breath. . .

rbj on January 18, 2012 at 2:52 PM

Heh

Good one HP

cmsinaz on January 18, 2012 at 2:55 PM

THIS from the hometown paper of the Beverly Hillbillies?

Actually, it would appear that the LA Slimes in slipping a bit.

They forgot to add: “One-toothed, bitter clinging, God-nut, Bible-thumper, homophobic, racist and simple-minded.”

Hope the editors correct these glaring omissions. The 5 or 6 of their readers who can read need to be fully informed.

Horace on January 18, 2012 at 3:09 PM

Technically, I guess LAT is saying Perry is spewing hillbilly nonsense as opposed to calling him a hillbilly.

Perry probably doesn’t mind being called a hillbilly, and in fact would defend hillbilly commonsense as much smarter than the intellectual shenanigans that have gotten us into the current mess.

But no, I don’t expect to hear the left demand an apology for LAT’s anti-hillbilly attack.

J.E. Dyer on January 18, 2012 at 3:10 PM

Also, there is an “underlying suggestion” that Sheila Jackson “Do we have pictures of the flag the astronauts left on Mars” Lee has a brain.

But the jury is still out on that one.

Horace on January 18, 2012 at 3:13 PM

I fully expect the liberals to jump all over this racist “hillbilly” remark. I will hold my breath until a full political beating from the NY Times, Newsweek, and others condemn the LA Times before my face turns purple from lack of oxygen.

Turtle317 on January 18, 2012 at 3:23 PM

What ever happened to Together We Thrive™?

I mean Jared Loughner shot up Gifford’s town hall, people died, and I got this lousy T-Shirt at the memorial/political rally…

Doesn’t it mean anything?

tom daschle concerned on January 18, 2012 at 3:25 PM

Silly Howard. Just as you cannot hear the embedded ethnic slurs that are so obvious to libtards, so too can you not hear the strong condemnation comming from the DNC for this incident.

It sounds just like crickets.

Lawnmower172 on January 18, 2012 at 3:43 PM

That paper is truly fish wrap. Speaking of fish wrap, Jackson-Lee is a carp. Why doesn’t Newt tell her that most people on food stamps are white. So, he is predjudiced against white folk? Lord, how did people vote that women into office, what a wart.

chickie on January 18, 2012 at 3:54 PM

Lord, how did people vote that women into office, what a wart.

chickie on January 18, 2012 at 3:54 PM

Gerrymandered districts are not that uncommon, look at California.

CrazyGene on January 18, 2012 at 4:07 PM

Many in the south are proud to be called a hillbilly or a redneck. Rednecks are the result of working in the field and they consider it a sign that they are not part of the food stamp crowd, and hillbillys are also independent of govt. handouts as away of life. If they want insult them ,call them metrosexuals.

dunce on January 18, 2012 at 9:44 PM

I’m a Kentuckian and you can call me hillbilly as much as you want. I don’t consider it a term of insult.

Ellen on January 19, 2012 at 6:13 AM