Newsweek asks ‘Why are Obama’s critics so dumb?’
posted at 1:07 pm on January 16, 2012 by Howard Portnoy
It has long been gospel among liberals that they are intellectually superior to conservatives. (If you have the time, they will also tell you they are more tolerant, peace loving, and open-minded.)
But you needn’t take liberals’ word for it. The opinion that liberals—are at least those who still support Barack Obama—are smarter than those who don’t is the subtext of an article in the current issue of Newsweek. The author is a self-described “conservative-minded independent” who “has disagreed with decisions Obama has made.” His name is Andrew Sullivan. (We can go on once you’ve stopped snickering.)
The issue just hit the stands today, but the teaser for the article, which ran on the cover with a photo of the president, was the subject of a weekend post at The Daily Caller. The writer, Alex Pappas, doesn’t himself hazard a guess at why liberals think Obama critics are so dumb, but he does note:
Newsweek has come under fire recently for its photo choices for Republicans they put on the cover. Much was made of the magazine using a photo of former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin in a running outfit on its cover.
And during the 2012 Republican presidential primary, the magazine chose an especially unflattering photo of Minnesota Rep. Michele Bachmann with a crazed look for its cover.
I am not going to spend time on Sullivan’s 3,000-word defense of Obama’s record, other than to say the data he occasionally uses to make his case are often wrong and seldom documented. He writes for example, that “when Obama took office, the United States was losing around 750,000 jobs a month.” If true, the nation would have lost 9 million jobs in 2008 instead of the actual number, 2.6 million. (In its worst month, December, the nation lost 524,000 jobs.)
To his credit, Sullivan does offer the occasional laugh, if unintentionally:
We’ve already elected the nation’s first black president and replaced a tongue-tied dauphin with a man of peerless eloquence.
Then again, maybe you need to be an Obama supporter to appreciate his peerless eloquence.
- Federal judge: Nonpartisan elections are unfair to minorities
- CT mayor seeks to extend voting rights to illegal immigrants
- Left: Blacks are not brainwashed—except for Herman Cain
- Obama makes GQ’s list of ’25 Least Influential People Alive’
- My gift to Newsweek: A photo gallery of other (than Bachmann) prominent figures
- Newsweek’s Evan Thomas on Obama’s speech: “He was being a [bleep] Democrat”
- The other ‘anti-science’ party
- Gore: Climate change deniers are this generation’s racists
- Al Gore comes unhinged during speech, slams opposing views as ‘Bulls–t’
- You think liberals are smarter than conservatives? Prove it
- ‘Rich Whitey’ not likely to win many black votes
Recently in the Green Room: