Green Room

Newsweek asks ‘Why are Obama’s critics so dumb?’

posted at 1:07 pm on January 16, 2012 by

It has long been gospel among liberals that they are intellectually superior to conservatives. (If you have the time, they will also tell you they are more tolerant, peace loving, and open-minded.)

But you needn’t take liberals’ word for it. The opinion that liberals—are at least those who still support Barack Obama—are smarter than those who don’t is the subtext of an article in the current issue of Newsweek. The author is a self-described “conservative-minded independent” who “has disagreed with decisions Obama has made.” His name is Andrew Sullivan. (We can go on once you’ve stopped snickering.)

The issue just hit the stands today, but the teaser for the article, which ran on the cover with a photo of the president, was the subject of a weekend post at The Daily Caller. The writer, Alex Pappas, doesn’t himself hazard a guess at why liberals think Obama critics are so dumb, but he does note:

Newsweek has come under fire recently for its photo choices for Republicans they put on the cover. Much was made of the magazine using a photo of former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin in a running outfit on its cover.

And during the 2012 Republican presidential primary, the magazine chose an especially unflattering photo of Minnesota Rep. Michele Bachmann with a crazed look for its cover.

I am not going to spend time on Sullivan’s 3,000-word defense of Obama’s record, other than to say the data he occasionally uses to make his case are often wrong and seldom documented. He writes for example, that “when Obama took office, the United States was losing around 750,000 jobs a month.” If true, the nation would have lost 9 million jobs in 2008 instead of the actual number, 2.6 million. (In its worst month, December, the nation lost 524,000 jobs.)

To his credit, Sullivan does offer the occasional laugh, if unintentionally:

We’ve already elected the nation’s first black president and replaced a tongue-tied dauphin with a man of peerless eloquence.

Then again, maybe you need to be an Obama supporter to appreciate his peerless eloquence.

Related Articles

Follow me on Twitter or join me at Facebook. You can reach me at howard.portnoy@gmail.com or by posting a comment below.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

Didn’t that rag get sold for a dollar?

Vegi on January 16, 2012 at 1:12 PM

How arrogant. How condescending. How typically liberal. And given the left’s blathering about how there should be civil discourse, how hypocritical.

NNtrancer on January 16, 2012 at 1:45 PM

Is Newsweek is trying to put The Onion out of business?

rbj on January 16, 2012 at 2:05 PM

He writes for example, that “when Obama took office, the United States was losing around 750,000 jobs a month.” If true, the nation would have lost 9 million jobs in 2008 instead of the actual number, 2.6 million. (In its worst month, December, the nation lost 524,000 jobs.)

OK well he is either right or wrong on that. In Jan 09 the losses were over 750k per month per the Bureau of Labor Statistics.

lexhamfox on January 16, 2012 at 2:08 PM

Well, naturally us anti-Obummer peons only live down here in the dirty real world. We couldn’t possibly be smart enough to understand the grand thoughts of the liberal elite who live up on Mount Olympus…. ////s

dentarthurdent on January 16, 2012 at 2:14 PM

What’s Newsweek?
/s

MTLassen on January 16, 2012 at 2:23 PM

I am proud to report that I have been recycling paper for the past 30 years since I quit reading Newsweek. As a true greenie, I collect the used Newsweek copies from offices, libraries, and schools to replace the capitalistic and very expensive toilet paper in my home.

The only downside is the pages are not very absorbant.

Turtle317 on January 16, 2012 at 2:53 PM

To be fair beard Bachman is a crazed religio-fascists so Newsweek was right on that one.

Your Mamma loves me on January 16, 2012 at 3:25 PM

And this is why Newsweek is dying.

hachiban on January 16, 2012 at 3:43 PM

Peerless eloquence … hmmm … Isn’t that the brand name of his teleprompter suite? I’m sure it’s the best model in 57 states.

Obama does have good diction, though. He is never more clear than when he pronounces words such as “I won.”, “Spread the wealth.”, “It’s Bush’s fault.”, and “I need another trillion.”

rebarnard on January 16, 2012 at 4:02 PM

the lsm just lapping this up too, don’cha know

bleh

good piece HP

cmsinaz on January 16, 2012 at 4:10 PM

cmsinaz on January 16, 2012 at 4:10 PM

Thank you.

Howard Portnoy on January 16, 2012 at 4:11 PM

What’s Newsweek?
/s

MTLassen on January 16, 2012 at 2:23 PM

And this is why Newsweek is dying.

hachiban on January 16, 2012 at 3:43 PM

I didn’t know Newsweek was still alive. I thought that rag died years ago.

dentarthurdent on January 16, 2012 at 5:15 PM

That’s nice that newsweek is so unbiased and even handed! I think I’ll go to them in the future for my news….

So slanted that you could spot yourself climbing equipment and still not make it close to the top…

glidingone on January 16, 2012 at 5:25 PM

When I saw that cover, I couldn’t believe that Newsweek had a located an even larger shark to jump than the last one they found, but apparently it’s real! I guess they’re playing the MSNBC angle: excite the base to boost readership. It might work if they go hard left loud enough. But whatever.

Here’s my rundown:

Pro: Sully isn’t having to put his Master’s degree in Palinouterinology to work for attention.

Con: He still hasn’t come down from the massive high brought on by the smoking of a leafy green substance wrapped in Doonesbury comics from the late 70s.

mintycrys on January 16, 2012 at 6:09 PM

Newsweek? Never heard of it.

/Charlie Gibson

Hayabusa on January 16, 2012 at 8:52 PM

Your Mamma loves me on January 16, 2012 at 3:25 PM

Let’s talk about John Holdren…

Atlas on January 17, 2012 at 1:06 AM

A cover designed to generate controversy to stimulate publicity to garner sales. Nothing but fluff.

Aplombed on January 17, 2012 at 8:29 AM

And here I thought the article was going to take the GOP candidates to task for being too dumb to figure out how best to dismantle the Obama regime. Guess not. That would probably make for a better read, though.

UnrepentantCurmudgeon on January 17, 2012 at 1:02 PM

Too bad Newsweak didn’t title it “Why aren’t Obama’s critics coming up with someone better?”

A few changed words and that rag would actually have a point…

MelonCollie on January 17, 2012 at 1:03 PM

All one can do is point, laugh at, and ridicule libtards like Andrew Sullivan and libtard rags the print such drivel.

The comedic value is high.

Robert Jensen on January 17, 2012 at 2:44 PM

It has long been gospel among liberals that they are intellectually superior to conservatives. (If you have the time, they will also tell you they are more tolerant, peace loving, and open-minded.)

Then, if you persist in challenging their views, they will demonstrate their intolerance, belligerence & rigidity.

Olo_Burrows on January 18, 2012 at 2:48 AM