Green Room

Tired of the Northeastern RINOs Yet?

posted at 11:29 am on January 10, 2012 by

Take note, South Carolina.  We know that Mitt Romney has been on all sides of basically every issue, but the broader concern here is:  are conservatives tired of stressing about and being duped by northeastern so-called Republicans and their mostly liberal voting records–leading to political survival in Democrat states.  But, seriously, is anyone else tired of this? And again, I ask,  why is a government-run healthcare lover a GOP frontrunner? Name recognition, gaining independent voters, and anyone but Obama, I get that, but come on already.  Romney? From Jonah Goldberg:

Romney, the son of a politician, has been running for office, holding office or thinking about running for office for more than two decades. “Just level with the American people,” Gingrich growled. “You’ve been running … at least since the 1990s.”

For some reason, Romney can’t do that. Or at least it seems like he can’t. His authentic inauthenticity problem isn’t going away. And it’s sapping enthusiasm from the rank and file.

Goldberg is right, but the underlying theme that voters need to be reminded of is that during so many important debates fromhealthcarejobsWall Street Reformconfirmationsrecess appointments, to taxes the culprits to invoke cloture or side with the Democrats typically are the same:  Senators Susan CollinsOlympia Snowe,  and Scott Brown–the trifecta of RINOs. All from the northeast, too.  See where I’m going with this?

Frankly, Romney, who the mainstream liberal media would like to see win the nomination, has yet to unite the GOP base.  His used car salesman pitch simply rubs people the wrong way.  We’ve seen this over and over again–even John McCain pointed this out and won in 2007′s primary–and now supports him–that should speak volumes to my point.  Romney has always been dogged by this and this is why we have such a large ‘Not Romney’ camp on the right side of the aisle.

The GOP is also paying the bitter price for not having anyone in line to succeed GW Bush.  The party’s internal tug of war will be an historical teachable moment and prepare the party for future elections.  The one saving grace is that, while the Democrats have Hillary, they have no one to succeed her at this point in time.  I say Hillary because she seems to be the only power broker left untarnished by Obama–even though she is an Alinsky kinda girl.

Additionally, the GOP presidential candidate will have a two-pronged mission as the nominee:  to beat the MSM and Obama.  However, enlightened voters now know for sure the media is mostly state-controlled, Obama was never vetted, and that his radical leftist ideology drives his policies, appointments, and regulations out of the mainstream.

Furthermore, the MSM needs Romney to offset Obama.  The formula is quite simple:  RomneyCare is to ObamaCare as Obama’s rhetoric is to Romney’s rhetoric all of which cancel each other out according to how the media sees it.

I’m not buying the media hype over who can beat Obama.  The primary is the primary and the game changes in the general.  Voters are more inclined to vote with their wallets.  We have gas prices averaging at almost $4 per gallon across the country, skyrocketing food prices, record foreclosures, record number of people on food stamps, high unemployment, ObamaCare, crippling regulations, and much more.  So if the MSM thinks that the historic 2010 midterm GOP wave was a whim, think again.  The Right accomplished its key mission of splitting the Congress so that Obama’s agenda could not be rammed through anymore.  Would we have liked the Senate, sure, but in 2012, the job will be finished.  My point is that who do we really want in the Oval Office?  A northeastern Republican who disavows the GOP or not.  We already have someone who does not have the consent of the governed.  Are we really going to take that risk again?

Finally, Romney has always touted RomneyCare as a great model for all the states to implement, but the reality is, the only person who implemented RomneyCare was Obama and now we have ObamaCare.  No thanks.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

Yes I am tired of RINOs. I am also tired of “compassionate” conservatives. I am also tired of “social” conservatives. Just put up a plain conservative and lets win.

Grames on January 10, 2012 at 11:45 AM

I’m tired of RINOS, period. I don’t give a flying crap what part of the country they’re from.

sage0925 on January 10, 2012 at 11:48 AM

RINOs are the reason the country is in this mess. Not one of them has the cajones to stand up to the Liberals who are scheming unceasingly to destroy liberty.

I hate them.

hachiban on January 10, 2012 at 12:06 PM

Tired of the Northeastern RINOs yet?

Nope! Not as long as the “RINO” can beat Obama in the general election. Next question.

cicerone on January 10, 2012 at 12:07 PM

Ms. Hiller, you hit the nail on the head with this point. We are tired of the same old same old. Mass. gave us Scott Brown and look how that turned out. If the elites had gotten behind Angle and the witch, instead of having to continue putting up with Reid, we might be able to get something thru the senate. The last straw for me with Romney was when he got up on stage with McLame and then when he claimed he’d work with the dems just after Dingy Harry said he’d screw a R president every chance he got.

Kissmygrits on January 10, 2012 at 12:07 PM

I will hold my nose and take one last RINO this election to get rid of the dictator. But not for 2016. We may need to have a viable 3rd party for 2016.

VBMax on January 10, 2012 at 12:27 PM

I’m tired of RINOs attempting to paint ‘social conservatives’ as being one trick ponies, that’s the RINO bias. Just as these same RINOs are defending Romney’s record at Bain, claiming any attack against Romney/Bain is an attack against capitalism and the free market, when the truth is, those who embrace Romney’s Bain record, are actually embracing the left’s slanders of capitalism and the free market.

I mean, how thick are you… you take a stand against the left’s propaganda against capitalism, as being cruel and inhumane, yet you refuse to actually think through what Romney and Bain actually did.. they sought to exploit capitalism and the free market principles, it’s looting, plain and simple. It’s not capitalism and the free market to take over a company, claiming you wish to ‘invest’ in it, then once you’ve got your foot in the door, loot it’s resources, steal the pension fund and then dump the carcass on the taxpayer to pick up the tab for what you leave behind, which is what Romney and Bain did to GS Steel, we the people had to pick up the tab for $44 million dollars in pension liabilities after Romney picked it clean and siddled off to greener pastures.

Nor is that definable as ‘using the profits more efficiently’ as others, like Stuart Varney tried to get away with. Efficiency is a highly subjective term. GS Steel had been a highly profitable company from 1880 to the ’90s when Romney stole it’s profitability away, destroying an entire town and it’s people’s lives. Romney and those like him are parasites. People like them aren’t capitalists, they are proto-Marxists who have helped our enemies be able to seize control of our economy, and that includes foreign interests.

Only a fool allows ones enemies to redefine him, and fools like you have apparently bought into the left’s definition of capitalism. They’ve got you by the short and curlies, and corrupted you. Are you that shallow that you can’t wake up and cease being a dumb bull that they can lead around like a bull with a ring through your nose?

Ceolas on January 10, 2012 at 12:30 PM

One thing that tickles me is this notion that if someone doesn’t pass a conservative purity test, then they somehow aren’t a “real” Republican. The difference between Republicans and Democrats isn’t an issue of social values so much as it is an issue of the role of government and individual responsibility. I don’t really care where a candidate personally stands on abortion or gay rights if they will reduce regulations in my field of business that allow my company to grow and let me exercise my own personal values in my own community, regardless of what they are.

To me it is more about liberty of the individual and small business operator than what a candidate’s personal views are. I don’t want a candidate shoving their personal cultural values onto the country, no matter what those might be.

I don’t give a pinch of owl scat what your views are, just leave me free to exercise mine.

crosspatch on January 10, 2012 at 1:09 PM

RINOs used to be called “Rockefeller Republicans,” and Mitt Romney surely is one of them. It is the left wing of the Repubican Party, or, in other words, where the Democrats used to be before they went even farther to the left in la-la land. I have no desire to see Romney as President. The only good thing about it would be the fact that Obama was not.

Elric on January 10, 2012 at 1:18 PM

I’m very tired of Yankee RINOs in particular and other liberals in general. Since secession didn’t work out so well, I am hoping for the EJECTION of every state north of Virginia from the USA.

Form your own country. Tax and regulate yourselves to prosperity. Unite with the separatists in Quebec to form a socialist commonwealth.

Both countries would br better off.

ed the terrible on January 10, 2012 at 1:25 PM

All the candidates this cycle have had major flaws. Instead of bashing the field we have to consider why this is the field we have!

Sorry, I don’t have a crystal ball answer and I’m just one person out here that isn’t in an influential GOP position. I do support the Tea Party and what it stands for. We conservatives need to support and encourage conservatives to run for office: local, state, and federal.

The Tea Party went quiet (missing in action) after the 2010 election. History will see that as a major mistake. The Progressives NEVER disband.

For now, we actively and forcefully support whomever the GOP nominates for office. as of Wednesday November 7, 2012 we get organized and make sure that in 2014 and 2016 the GOP is transformed with common-sense conservatives running for office throughout the land.

We swallow what we ourselves have created, or allowed to be created, for 2012. The day after the election we move this party. Agreed?

SubDoc on January 10, 2012 at 1:28 PM

From the Kansas City Star:

Romney co-founded Bain Capital and was working there when the firm bought GST Steel in 1993. However, he had left the firm by the time of the 2001 bankruptcy, although he was still receiving some money from the company that year.

But a former company official said Monday it would be wrong to totally blame Bain for the failure of the plant.

“While mistakes were made by management and Bain, there was clearly an effort to build GST Steel into a world-class operation,” said Steve Ornduff of Overland Park. “After the ‘corporate buyout,’ over $100 million was spent in new capital in the plant …. Unfortunately, it required a lot of debt to make the acquisition and complete these capital improvements.”

That debt, Ornduff said, along with a decline in the global steel market, spelled doom for the massive plant near the Blue River.

“Over 40 steel businesses in the U.S. filed bankruptcy during this period, so to come to the conclusion that Bain’s ‘corporate buyout’ was solely responsible for the failure of GST Steel is inaccurate,” Ornduff said.

The prior owners sold in order for Bain to buy. Naturally Bain would want the lowest price and lowest debt possible going forward after the buy, so it was the prior owners who cashed in the business.

I agree that the government bailout for private pensions that go bust is wrong. It is wrong to socialize business risk while profits stay private. Rather than socialize the profits as well, the risks should be privatized.

Grames on January 10, 2012 at 1:42 PM

Why can’t conservative western states be first in the primaries…..er..well..I forgot that the republican party is ruled by the eastern liberals and they won’t allow a conservative or western state to be in the first primaries. That’s how we got old McLame…..makes me open to third party (Tea Party) in 2016…screw the Repubs that keep dumping these libs on us……Tired of being told that I have to vote for these libturds. Sarah, I would vote for you, but if you weren’t gonna run, why did you help foist old McLame on our state for another umpteen years?? Next year, Texas and Arizona should be the first primaries…you know, rotate so everybody has a chance

colonelkurtz on January 10, 2012 at 1:46 PM

The only consistent conservative in the race is Perry. Paul is a nut, Santorum is a union guy who voted against NAFTA.

philrat on January 10, 2012 at 2:35 PM

Thank goodness, I have seen so many “pro-Romney” layoff Romney articles recently I forgot there were actually conservative writers out there.

As a (former) Northeast RINO myself, I have had enough of them. Most of them aren’t even fiscal conservatives (see: Romney, Christine Whitman, et. al.).

Thanks for writing this.

PrincetonAl on January 10, 2012 at 3:46 PM

Good folks,

We need to stand up and take our party back before we can take our country back.

Lets do this! ;- )

Winghunter on January 10, 2012 at 6:22 PM

Great article (i think she’s pretty awesome)…which brings home the question..Who do we have ? Perry–Mr. Guardasil pusher…Newt..who also has been running or in office since the late 1800′s…Bachmann and Palin are out…We can forget Hermain Cain..and Santorum is disliked by virtually everyone on every side….Huntsman..HAHAAAAAAA I mean..No Paul: NEVER

WHO?

All Things Conservative on January 10, 2012 at 7:28 PM

WHO?

All Things Conservative on January 10, 2012 at 7:28 PM

Gee, Pat Buchanan is looking for work!

Don L on January 11, 2012 at 9:47 AM

Excellent piece overall.

I’ve been a MA resident all my life, and have worked for the Commonwealth under both Republican and Democrat administrations. And I am still in shock that the Republican electorate is even considering Romney to be our standard-bearer, never mind giving him front-runner status.

Has “yet” to unite the GOP base? Yet? I don’ think he ever will. We may come together in the end for the sole purpose of defeating Obama, but a Romney nomination will not bode well for a united GOP in the future.

Things are gonna get ugly.

Just Sayin on January 11, 2012 at 10:22 AM

We may need to have a viable 3rd party for 2016.

VBMax on January 10, 2012 at 12:27 PM

It looks to me like we need a viable third party now. If Romney is elected (which I think is unlikely), by the time we get to 2016, he will have destroyed the Republican brand even more than W and his big-spending Congress did.

DRayRaven on January 11, 2012 at 10:46 AM

DRayRaven on January 11, 2012 at 10:46 AM

Here is an article by Byron York you may find interesting per your comments. It’s very detailed. One cannot ignore the fact that there was a big-spending (to the tune of some $2 trillion) Democrat Congress for the second term. Also, I do understand the directed anger towards the GOP for additional spending under his administration. I always hoped W, et al would have beat back the media narrative, but that never happened–which allowed the media to set the stage and control the entire narrative. And that, too, is a shame and further damaged the GOP.

SusanAnne Hiller on January 11, 2012 at 11:19 AM

Susananne, If you are so tired of the Northeastern RINO’s, why wouldn’t you included WHO is worthy of carrying the conservative mantle–and can win against Obama. I would love to hear what metrics you have that can tell me how any of the non-Romney’s can get independents and blue dog democrats to vote for them.

It’s pretty easy to complain (which you do rather well), but when you bring no solutions to the table you’re just a whiner. And no one likes a whiner.

And I’m thinking the reason you don’t mention anyone is because there is no one else…

teliason on January 11, 2012 at 11:53 AM

teliason on January 11, 2012 at 11:53 AM

Interesting that you say I complain/whine, when I am bringing to the forefront a valid point(s). Sensitive Congressional votes typically come down to one or two RINOs from the NE (or Lindsay Graham) who will side with the left. The post wasn’t intended to highlight anyone specifically or offer alternatives, only to provoke thought as to how this primary fight is playing out. And the fact is, people are about to nominate a guy who’s been all over the map with his positions, authored RomneyCare, etc. I find that truly mind-boggling.

I have also maintained that I will respect the voters of this country and unite with the GOP and vote for the eventual nominee. If that is Romney, then so be it. So I guess to answer your question of who is my alternative: anyone but Obama.

SusanAnne Hiller on January 11, 2012 at 12:17 PM

I think we will lose with Romney. His record as Mass Gov is pretty leftist. Add in Romneycare and you get a guy whose record will be a massive club in Axelrod’s hands. Consider that since the end of the Regan Adminstration, all the GOp has put were RINOs (that includes Dubya whose Compassionate Conservatism is just welfare state “conservatism” which is oxymoron). Only Dubya won and that was in the face of two Dem candidates who were even more flawed. In 2008, the country had finally had enough of RINOism and gave us a communist. It looks like teh GOP is going to put up a RINO who is not far from Obama ion political philosophy, and that won’t win against the Obummer.

Yeah, we need a Conservative party now so we can abandon the GOP to the same dustbin of history that contains Fremont and Lincoln. The GOP was not established as a conservative party, and never has been a conservative party, and never will be either. Lincoln was a leftist and that spirit has been seen in Wilson, FDR, Truman, JFK, LBJ, Nixon, Carter, Both Bushes, Clinton and now Obama. Buchanan nailed it in ’96 when he said the two parties are “just two wings on the same bird of prey.”

Quartermaster on January 12, 2012 at 8:27 PM