Green Room

VA school board defends 8-year-olds singing ‘Occupy’ lyrics

posted at 12:07 pm on January 3, 2012 by

Give enough monkeys enough typewriters, and you will eventually end up with the complete works of Shakespeare. Give enough 8-year-olds enough “inspiration,” and you will apparently end up with an ode to the Occupy movement.

That’s the argument being advanced by the Albemarle County (Virginia) School Board in defense of lyrics purportedly written by third-grade students at Woodbrook Elementary School. The title of the song is “Part of the 99.” Here are the lyrics:

Some people have it all

But they still don’t think they have enough
They want more money
A faster ride
They’re not content
Never satisfied
Yes—they’re the 1 percent

I used to be sad, now I’m satisfied
’Cause I really have enough
Though I lost my yacht and plane
Didn’t need that extra stuff
Could have been much worse
You don’t need to be first
’Cause I’ve got my friends
Here by my side
Don’t need it all
I’m so happy to be part of the 99

The inspiration for these heartfelt sentiments didn’t come entirely from the monkeys’—I mean kids’—inborn sense of social awareness. The effort was guided by professionals at Kid Pan Alley, an organization that helps children write and perform their own songs. The organization’s motto is “Inspiring kids to be creators, not consumers.”

A video at Kid Pan Alley’s website provides a more in-depth look into the group’s mission. Here is a transcript of the first few sentences:

Imagine that you are a child writing a song with your classmates guided by a professional songwriter. You would be changed forever. You would learn about teamwork and the value of including everyone’s diverse ideas. You would feel listened to and really proud of your accomplishments.

So, putting aside the question of whether 8-year-olds working independently would dream up a battle hymn to class warfare, we are to believe that an organization dedicated to “including everyone’s diverse ideas” would not have at least nudged the tykes toward the 99 percent theme? Steve Koleszar, chairman of the school board, doesn’t think so. He tells a local CBS affiliate:

They don’t censor what the kids write. They don’t shape what the kids write. It all comes out of the kids own mouths and the kids own words…

The kids choose the topic, this class chose the topic and those are their words.

Carole Thorpe, of Jefferson Area Tea Party Chair, is incredulous. Of the claim of freedom from censorship, she asks:

Does this also include religious content of lyrics? Would it include profanity? Does the school at any point say this content is inappropriate for an eight-year-old?

Related Articles

Follow me on Twitter or join me at Facebook. You can reach me at howard.portnoy@gmail.com or by posting a comment below.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

No way 3rd grade kids wrote this themselves without some “guidance” from adults.

dentarthurdent on January 3, 2012 at 12:52 PM

Another “teacher” and set of “administrators” who should get the time to join “Occupy” while collecting their unemployment and pushing their shopping cart.

It’s time to start really firing these guys.

CrazyGene on January 3, 2012 at 1:14 PM

I’ll bet a root beer that the employment contract in that area has a “moral turpitude” clause.

That would be good vector for dealing with the problem.

CrazyGene on January 3, 2012 at 1:16 PM

If the song had something in it about pooping on cars, that would prove it was written by 8 yr olds and by people informed of OWS.

batterup on January 3, 2012 at 1:43 PM

The single biggest lie I’ve ever heard from anyone not named Obama.

hoofhearted on January 3, 2012 at 2:11 PM

batterup on January 3, 2012 at 1:43 PM

This made my day. As AJ is nearly eight, I can attest that batterup is right on point here. Pooping on cars would definitely be the highlight, probably followed closely by no baths.

AJsDaddie on January 3, 2012 at 2:17 PM

There once was an Occupier from Nantucket….

BobMbx on January 3, 2012 at 3:22 PM

satanically stupid. The good people of VA should eviscerate the propagandists in the education system.

tom daschle concerned on January 3, 2012 at 4:20 PM

When you consider the leftist activists who introduced this garbage into Woodbrook Elementary, the agenda is even more clear. Kid Pan Alley receives money from the William and Mary Greve Foundation.

The Greve Foundation funds many other causes at odds with American traditions, including the American Society for Muslim Advancement, which is run by a 9-11 conspiracy theorist. The Greve Foundation is headed by John Kiser, III, author of Communist Entrepreneurs : Unknown Innovators in the Global Economy. (From a review: “the book is of value in confronting tired stereotypes about the inherent inferiority of technology under Communism.”) Kiser is from Sperryville, Virginia, which might explain why so many Virginia elementary schools.

Mmmm… Mmmm…. Mmmmmmm…….
Barack Hussein Obama…
Who can put the words in a child’s mouth
Indoctrination is what it’s all about!

Mmmm… Mmmm…. Mmmmmmm…….
Barack Hussein Obama…

Woodbrook Elementary School Third Grade Teachers Indoctrinators:
Robin Fox
Elaine Hendrick
Bronwyn Murray

Roy Rogers on January 3, 2012 at 4:36 PM

Roy Rogers on January 3, 2012 at 4:36 PM

Good reporting!

Howard Portnoy on January 3, 2012 at 4:56 PM

Does this also include religious content of lyrics?

Of course not, silly.

squint on January 3, 2012 at 5:09 PM

They’re so happy to be “part of the 99″ (which is really about oh, .09 but I digress) that they want to turn the country into a Communist hell hole so they can REALLY be part of the 99.

KMC1 on January 3, 2012 at 5:28 PM

I am a teacher who is certified and taught grades 1-12 and adults. I would be hard pressed to explain how third grade children could have possibly, even with a lot of allowance, written this.

Liberals think that small children are really just small adults that lack the years of experience to think like an adult. I am sure they see nothing wrong with claiming that children wrote this garbage. What really is sad, like the cowards of war who use women and children as living shields, these liberals hide behind children in hopes that their own ugliness is lost behind the innocents of the child.

Unfortunately the old concept that a classroom should be a neutral place where children can learn without fear of persecution has been replace with the concept that a classroom is best used for social engineering to insure the acceptance of socialism. One of the best examples is Germany. Hitlers policy of social engineering is still enforce today. Home schooling is not tolerated because the German government fears the children will not be properly indoctirnated to the states views of socialism.

view: Obama with a big grin on his face, his head bobbing up and down as he envisions “his” country when he is done with the change of ours.

Franklyn on January 4, 2012 at 4:02 AM

There once was an Occupier from Nantucket….

BobMbx on January 3, 2012 at 3:22 PM

Who couldn’t be bothered to find a bucket…

GWB on January 4, 2012 at 9:14 AM

I have a eight year old daughter who is very smart yes, but still is a child, she thinks like a child, she plays like a child, she acts like a child should. Would she be capable of writing a song like this, on her own including having understanding of economics complexities involved in life, the answer is a big fat NO, she is a child. I smell heavy input from this kids liberal teacher and liberal parents, including telling this kid exactly what to write, MMMMMMM…..MMMMMM….MMMMMMM hail Barack Hussein Obama the liberal indoctrination of the young continues unopposed. Seriously as parents we really need to pay close attention to what garbage is passing off as “education” today in our schools, my daughter may go to Catholic private school but I still pay close attention to what is going on there.

Beastdogs on January 4, 2012 at 10:39 AM

Yeah, 8 year olds. Social strife is foremost in their minds.

Wonder how long before we get a rendition led by the non-leader leader?

GarandFan on January 4, 2012 at 11:24 AM

I don’t see the verse about how if you’re raped, don’t report it.

tdpwells on January 4, 2012 at 12:25 PM

I don’t see the verse about how if you’re raped, don’t report it.

tdpwells on January 4, 2012 at 12:25 PM

ROFL!

L.N. Smithee on January 4, 2012 at 4:16 PM

School boards are typically stacked with former teachers. They are all part of the liberal establishment. The story does not mention it, but I’ll wager that Kid Pan Alley gets govt funding to commence with this indoctrination. So, I guess I payed for the new “song”.

kpguru on January 4, 2012 at 4:52 PM

Goebbels would be proud.

hillbillyjim on January 4, 2012 at 6:43 PM

This is outrageous, but not at all surprising. We’d probably all be shocked to learn how much of this type of subtle liberal indoctrination is going on under the radar in every school in our land.

This is also a very big part of why we homeschooled our three oldest kids through high school and continue to homeschool our middle three (two in high school and one in jr hi). Our youngest three attend public schools, but they also have Down syndrome, so we aren’t concerned that they will be indoctrinated by the liberal system like their older siblings likely would have been.

mom29js on January 4, 2012 at 9:38 PM

Mom29, made the correct move. Any of the “clever” posters here who continue to allow their kids to be indoctrinated in a public school system need to rethink their priorities. We must not lose the next generation to big govt thinking. Homeschooling and private education are not easy and can be costly, but it is well worth the effort. The entire public system is completely and irreparably broken.

kpguru on January 5, 2012 at 10:23 AM