Green Room

Federal judge: Nonpartisan elections are unfair to minorities

posted at 4:29 pm on December 27, 2011 by

The phrase voter literacy test conjures up thoughts of devious and pernicious practices once used primarily in the Deep South to disenfranchise minority voters. Yet, a ruling by a federal judge last week seems to go overboard in the opposite direction. From The Daily Caller:

A U.S. District Court judge has rejected a challenge to Section 5 of the Voting Rights Act of 1965—filled [sic] when the Department of Justice barred the city of Kinston, N.C. from holding nonpartisan elections—reasoning that lack of access to party affiliation would discriminate against minority voters who otherwise wouldn’t know how to find Democratic candidates on a ballot.

The challenge was initiated after the Justice Department rejected a 2008 referendum vote in which the city of Kinston voted to stop listing candidates’ party affiliations on ballots.

Under Section 5 of the Voting Rights Act, the Justice Department must approve changes to election law in regions with a history, however distant, of racial discrimination.

In a letter to attorneys for the city of Kinston dated August 17, 2009, the Holder Justice Department explained that “the elimination of party affiliation on the ballot will likely reduce the ability of blacks to elect candidates of choice.”

Maybe there’s a subtlety here that I’m missing because I’m not black or liberal, but it sounds to me as though the U.S. Attorney General is saying that his fellow blacks lack the capacity to exercise due diligence when it comes to sizing up candidates for elected office. And here I thought it was supposed to be conservatives who believed that blacks are too dumb to tie their shoes.

Needless to say, the ACLU supported the decision of Judge John D. Bates, and so did the NAACP. Meantime, if a major voting bloc in the nation needs to have a “D” next to candidates’ names so they can tell which one to vote for, maybe a mandatory course in real voter literacy would not be that bad a thing.

Related Articles

Follow me on Twitter or join me at Facebook. You can reach me at howard.portnoy@gmail.com or by posting a comment below.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

Baa, baa. Time to tell them of the democrat’s history as a party. If only a Republican would be so brave.

Vince on December 27, 2011 at 4:46 PM

That’s exactly what he is saying. Cause we’re all racists down here in North Kakalacky.

BigAlSouth on December 27, 2011 at 4:56 PM

Wow… that is nothing short of simply saying “blacks can only vote for Democrats.” Were I a minority, I would be outright insulted by a Democrat telling me to “just vote for the guy with the ‘D’ after his name.”

gravityman on December 27, 2011 at 4:56 PM

gravityman on December 27, 2011 at 4:56 PM

and yet it is what they do….hand out flyers with folks affiliation to bring into the voting booth..

cmsinaz on December 27, 2011 at 5:01 PM

So are they saying that those voting only vote if a d or r is after the name? Those voting don’t have a flying flit who they vote for as long as it is a d? If the d isn’t on the ballot, those voting don’t know if they get their 10 bucks for voting or not for the d? I can see 2012 is gonna be the mega of all mega fraud voting for bho and d’s?
L

letget on December 27, 2011 at 5:04 PM

I don’t remember this being a problem for Alvin Greene, when he won the South Carolina democrat primary for the U.S. Senate.

Dr Evil on December 27, 2011 at 5:23 PM

There is no question which party is racist. How else can they explain the implication that minorities can’t figure out who to vote for. The imply that they can’t get a photo ID. They cant get to polling boths without being escorted. It’s not conservatives who think this, that’s for sure. I’m so tired of our cause being called racist by left wing biggots that I just want to explode..

txdonboy on December 27, 2011 at 5:30 PM

I think a word or a letter like “Democrat” or “D” is too sophisticated for these voters.

A picture, perhaps of a hand giving out dollar bills, is perhaps all they’re capable of understanding.

MichaelGabriel on December 27, 2011 at 5:44 PM

But that would be raaaciist.

squint on December 27, 2011 at 5:48 PM

This is very depressing. The fix is in and they aren’t even hiding it anymore….yet nobody is calling them out on it.

Ditkaca on December 27, 2011 at 5:52 PM

Just another Democrat slap in MLK’s face. Not only are the Dems the ones who actually judge people by the color of their skin instead of the “content of their character”, they now prove once again that they are the real racists who don’t even think minorities have the brains to vote for someone based on “the content of their character”.

dentarthurdent on December 27, 2011 at 5:56 PM

The DOJ and judge are exhibiting pure racist thinking that is counter to MLK’s Dream speech. Will any minorities jump on this? . . . . Crickets. How sad.

SubDoc on December 27, 2011 at 6:47 PM

This reminds me when they used voting stats from LA County where people voted for no one or voted for both candidates as evidence of “disfranchisement.” It never occurred to them that voters might do it on purpose to signal their disapproval for both candidates.

Blake on December 27, 2011 at 6:52 PM

So apparently the liberal democrats do not trust people, especially minorities, to be educated enough, to vote with their own free will, and it us conservatives they call the racist WTF. Maybe the liberal democrats will have the black panthers be everyone’s escorts into the voting booths this time, around as well.

Beastdogs on December 27, 2011 at 7:26 PM

For the record, the judge was an appointee of Bush 43. I checked his record and it appears he mostly adheres staunchly to the Constitution.

Howard Portnoy on December 27, 2011 at 7:58 PM

Holy cow! Democrats are basically saying that minorities are too stupid to vote without their hands being held. Yet minorities keep lining up to vote for them.

Russ in OR on December 27, 2011 at 9:17 PM

It has been clear for a long time who the real racists are in this country.

Brent E on December 27, 2011 at 9:42 PM

Wait, the second highest ranking black man in America is confirming that he thinks black people are the dumbest people to walk to planet?

Awesome.

Spliff Menendez on December 27, 2011 at 10:05 PM

Howard Portnoy on December 27, 2011 at 7:58 PM

You don’t get a DUI dismissed because you mostly adhere to the law regarding drinking and driving.

This kind of moronic ruling just goes to show that commonsense and logic are the reality of yesterday, and Democrat talking points are the truth of today.

Spliff Menendez on December 27, 2011 at 10:08 PM

I’ve been railing for the removal of the “Party Level” on voting machines. You vote for people not parties.

J_Crater on December 28, 2011 at 12:30 AM

click through and read the order.

The plaintiffs brought a “facial” challenge to Section 5 of the Voting Rights Act. In such a case, the Plaintiffs are claiming the statute is unconstitutional in every respect, that there is no interpretation or application possible in which it would be constitutional. It’s a hard standard to meet.

The blame for this stuff lies at the feet of the Congress that passed it & the President who signed it.

BD57 on December 28, 2011 at 7:55 AM

Maybe this falls under “It’s a black thing . . . you wouldn’t understand”???

Maybe there should be “special” ballots distributed to black voters with the “correct” choices already punched or marked to eliminate any confusion . . . you know . . . to prevent “disenfranchisement”, which really means disenfranchising the Democrats from their right to all black votes since only the Democrats have the acuity to discern racism and represent authentic African-Americans, except for Col. West and Condoleezza Rice.

tpitman on December 28, 2011 at 11:08 AM

Once a Democratic plantation always a Democratic plantation.

gitarfan on December 28, 2011 at 11:38 AM

protecting the entitlements of the illiterate? party line voting should be eliminated, but the D’s and R’s will never allow it

burserker on December 28, 2011 at 12:50 PM

gravityman on December 27, 2011 at 4:56 PM

yeah i am offended by this!!! liberals are racist, they think blacks are stupid!! they want us to be their mindless sheep. they don’t want us to think, just vote for them. they think we’re too dumb to figure out how to research a candidate to find out something so simple as what party they’re in.

and on top of that, they call conservatives racist!! it’s an outrage. i am so mad.

Sachiko on December 28, 2011 at 3:09 PM

What about California? We just changed the law so that the Democrats can run without admitting they are union stooge Democrats on the ballot!

Freddy on December 29, 2011 at 1:28 PM

gravityman on December 27, 2011 at 4:56 PM

I AM a minority.
I AM insulted.
…and that’s why I AM, forevermore a proud member in Good Standing of the Vast Right Wing Conspircy *Marine Corp…

* = Because my Grandad & Father would disown me if I wrote Army… :o)

BlaxPac on December 29, 2011 at 9:58 PM