Green Room

Michelle Obama’s MyPlate food guide a spectacular failure

posted at 5:03 pm on December 21, 2011 by

Mediabistro has delivered a stinging rebuke of Rep. Jim Sensenbrenner (R-WI), who was reportedly overheard at Reagan National Airport opining that First Lady Michelle Obama “lectures us on eating right while she has a large posterior herself.” Betsy Rothstein, who penned the column, was so incensed by the congressman’s disrespectful remarks that she fired back a taunt worthy of any elementary school yard, saying he “has no business discussing fat asses while having quite the big butt himself.”

But Sensenbrenner’s dig is the least of Mrs. Obama’s problems. NPD Group, a market research company, reported on Tuesday that the First Lady’s $2 million “MyPlate” food guide is an appalling failure.

AFP RelaxNews notes via the New York Daily News:

Using its National Eating Trends statistics, which have been tracking the eating and drinking habits of US consumers for 30 years, … NPD Group found that only two percent of Americans’ diets—equal to about seven days a year—come close to the US Department of Agriculture’s new dietary guidelines launched this summer.

The report further observed that the few times Americans did manage to satisfy nutritional requirements, they were likely to consume more than three meals a day, thereby undoing any positive effects.

Mrs. Obama launched the new plate icon—a retooling of the decades-old Food Guide Pyramid—earlier this year. The goal was to aid consumers in determining relative portion size. But as with previous initiatives, including the Nutrition Facts panels mandated for product labels, Americans just aren’t that interested in playing with their food.

And that goes double for the younger ones. The blog My Food My Choice reports that students in the Los Angeles Unified School District have turned their noses up at the recently imposed school lunch menus that replace cheeseburgers and fries with black bean burgers, tostada salad, and fresh pears. The post quotes the Los Angeles Times as noting that

[m]any of the meals are being rejected en masse. Participation in the school lunch program has dropped by thousands of students. Principals report massive waste, with unopened milk cartons and uneaten entrees being thrown away. Students are ditching lunch, and some say they’re suffering from headaches, stomach pains and even anemia. At many campuses, an underground market for chips, candy, fast-food burgers and other taboo fare is thriving.

Which has the left the district’s food service director with little choice but to reinstate the old menu:

Hamburgers will be offered daily. Some of the more exotic dishes are out, including the beef jambalaya, vegetable curry, pad Thai, lentil and brown rice cutlets, and quinoa and black-eyed pea salads. And the Caribbean meatball sauce will be changed to the more familiar teriyaki flavor.

If there is a message in this for the First Lady it is that Americans aren’t keen on having the government dictate what they can and can’t eat. And if they were, they wouldn’t want the message coming from someone with a large … er—appetite.

Related Articles

Follow me on Twitter or join me at Facebook. You can reach me at howard.portnoy@gmail.com or by posting a comment below.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

First they came for the tater tots . . .

NoDonkey on December 21, 2011 at 5:24 PM

You can have my cheeseburger when you pry it out of my cold, dead hands…

malclave on December 21, 2011 at 5:42 PM

All that crap sounds terrible, except for the one with beef in it, but I’m sure they’ve screwed that up in some way.

drewwerd on December 21, 2011 at 6:53 PM

+ 1
Nodonkey

cmsinaz on December 21, 2011 at 7:54 PM

Great informative article, Howard.

Can’t wait for a conservative President to occupy our WH again. Then we can get rid of this mamby-pamby food like beef jambalaya (what the heck is jambalaya? an African dish?) and feed our children good, wholesome conservative food like BBQ pulled pork and Busch Lite.

nice_poltergeist on December 21, 2011 at 8:13 PM

nice_poltergeist: Thanks for the kind words.

Jambalaya is a Cajun rice dish that includes andouille sausage, ham, chicken, shrimp, crawfish, and lots more. It’s a great dish when done well, though I have never had a version with beef.

Howard Portnoy on December 21, 2011 at 8:29 PM

Hot Air keepin’ it classy as always. Doesn’t matter if the kids are eating poorly as long as it makes somebody with the last name Obama look bad.

Constantine on December 21, 2011 at 8:45 PM

Constantine on December 21, 2011 at 8:45 PM

Spicy, weird low-quality cafeteria food in trash: good.
Kids actually eating beef burgers: bad.

Uh huh. Howard must be racist, right?

ChicagoJewishGuy on December 21, 2011 at 9:02 PM

Michelle Obama is a massive failure. And I do mean MASSIVE.

tom daschle concerned on December 21, 2011 at 9:08 PM

Here is something to ponder: liberals tell us that there are all these hungry school children who have no food at their homes, so we need to have these school breakfast, lunch and now even dinner programs right???. Liberals being liberals can not leave well enough alone, they have to add heaping amounts of socialism to everything, and then wounder why it all comes to bite them hard in the ass, when their socialism leads to epic and complete failure. The liberals attempt to force “healthy food” on the school kids, who see these so called food choices as bland crap sandwiches and refuse to eat them. So then just like in socialist countries a black market emerges, but here is where the real question to ponder emerges: if these kids are so poor, and have no food at home, yet how they are able to afford to pay for these highly marked up black market food items.

Beastdogs on December 21, 2011 at 9:50 PM

The First Water Buffalo needs to mind her own business and stay the hell out of mine.

petefrt on December 21, 2011 at 10:18 PM

It’s like Michael Moore putting out an exercise video.

SouthernGent on December 21, 2011 at 10:22 PM

It’s like Michael Moore putting out an exercise video.

Speaking of big butts.

Howard Portnoy on December 21, 2011 at 11:24 PM

Constantine -

Hot Air is not looking to make Obama look bad alone…just ask Matt Damon.

chickie on December 22, 2011 at 7:54 AM

Any form of socialism WILL fail, the only difference is in the details.

How long will it take?

How much will it ultimately cost?

How many people end up in the mass graves?

What is the racial/religious/class makeup of those bodies?

Thankfully, here in America, I believe we will take care of the socialists before they get to numbers 3 and 4, because we still have the Second Amendment and, at least where I live, a healthy distrust of anything that comes from Elitests.

majordomomojo on December 22, 2011 at 9:30 AM

We used to get a fried slice of baloney with a scoop of mashed potatos on top and a slice of American cheese melted on top of that. That was a school lunch back in the day. About 350 calories, mostly from fat. Milk was the only drink offered and there was no 2% or low fat option.

It didn’t kill us.

Unless the kids are FROM Jamaica or New Orleans, they aren’t going to take to spicy, one skillet meals like Jamabalya very readily. K.I.S.S. Keep it simple stupid. Basic food can be healthy. It’s a school lunch. With luck they have MAYBE ten minutes to wolf it down.

BrideOfRove on December 22, 2011 at 9:53 AM

Honestly, Michelle Obama’s “Eat Healthier” cause is no better or worse than Laura Bush’s “Learn to Read” cause. If people learned to read or lost weight and got healthier as a result then that’s great. No one is going to get fatter or stupider as a result. I prefer that she spend her time and our money on a positive message rather than on her next extravagant vacation.

BrideOfRove on December 22, 2011 at 9:59 AM

Where did Laura Bush’s program involve sending out food Nazis to every school district, or require kids to have a medical excuse to bring a book from home?

Apples and Oranges.

SDN on December 22, 2011 at 10:55 AM

My daughter refuses to eat the lunch the school provides. On the few occasions she forgot her made-at-home lunch, she preferred to go hungry. I volunteered for a field trip a while back…and I agree with her.

cozmo on December 22, 2011 at 11:09 AM

BrideOfRove on December 22, 2011 at 9:59 AM

Laura Bush didn’t force kids to read.

cozmo on December 22, 2011 at 11:10 AM

Yes of course Jambalaya and Curried Beef are what every American kid eats at home for lunch or dinner.

Naturally, the Obama’s would replace the Food Pyramid, which makes sense, with a dinner plate which has zero significance within the context she placed it.

Arse hats.

DevilsPrinciple on December 22, 2011 at 11:59 AM

The Rep would have been PC if he said….”shes got back”!

texasgoat on December 22, 2011 at 12:17 PM

Michhell Obummer forgot one little detail: with very few exceptions schools cannot force pupils to eat. That’s the job of the parents.

Give them a call and let them know that Bratford is throwing good food in the trash “because it’s yukky and I don’t wike it!”. They can take it from there.

MelonCollie on December 22, 2011 at 12:59 PM

The message for the FLOTUS (and the rest of the control-freak libtard world) is that she can’t pull the wool over our eyes, taking away menu choices and then calling the program “My Choice”. Even public school students can see past THAT one.

pjarhead on December 22, 2011 at 1:42 PM

Seems to me she only gave this a half-a$$ effort at most, anyway. If she’d done her homework she would have found that others have tried, and failed, at forcing kids to eat wholesome foods.

scalleywag on December 22, 2011 at 2:38 PM

The subject is nutrition, and yet the Hot Air readers’ response: OMG SOCIALISM SOCIALISM SOCIALISM SOCIALISM SOCIALISM !!! Kudos to the conservative media machine on a successful brainwashing campaign.

That, and the incredibly hack references to the First Lady’s appearance. I assume y’all will be consistent, and a doughy sack of manure like Newt Gingrich would be disqualified from participating in crafting any form of health policy.

Constantine on December 22, 2011 at 2:41 PM

Oh simmer down, I see this effort as an attempt to reduce the number of obese children. I don’t see it as an attempt to shove socialism down their throats, just food they don’t like.

And frankly, I don’t think the First Lady has a fat a$$ at all. She looks fit and healthy to me. The part of her program that encourage kids to exercise more was a more worthy effort IMHO.

scalleywag on December 22, 2011 at 2:48 PM

BrideOfRove on December 22, 2011 at 9:53 AM

We used to have an ice cream man, a Hostess truck, a milk truck, and a bread man. Our house was always full of those things as well as sugary drinks. The difference was back then we played outside and rode bikes and skated most of the time, we didn’t sit in front of a video game console.

scalleywag on December 22, 2011 at 2:51 PM

Constantine on December 22, 2011 at 2:41 PM

Please show me where it says it’s the fed gubmint’s job to dictate health policy PERIOD.

Dominion on December 22, 2011 at 2:53 PM

scalleywag on December 22, 2011 at 2:51 PM

Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner!

Schoolkids are overweight and obese these days because the libtard know-it-alls have taken physical education out of the schools. Make those kids run like I had to and there won’t be much of a youth weight problem.

Dominion on December 22, 2011 at 2:55 PM

Dominion on December 22, 2011 at 2:53 PM

Food and Drug Administration
Environmental Protection Agency
Department of Health and Human Services

Constantine on December 22, 2011 at 3:01 PM

Has Michelle seen the price of arugala lately?

NoDonkey on December 22, 2011 at 3:12 PM

Food and Drug Administration
Environmental Protection Agency
Department of Health and Human Services

Constantine on December 22, 2011 at 3:01 PM

All of which are lacking in constitutional authority for their existence. Thanks for playing and enjoy your consolation prize.

gryphon202 on December 22, 2011 at 3:47 PM

gryphon beat me to it.

Dominion on December 22, 2011 at 4:10 PM

gryphon202 on December 22, 2011 at 3:47 PM

The Constitution didn’t forsee many of the choices we’ve made as a society; that doesn’t mean they’re unconstitutional or shouldn’t exist. But hey, you go ahead and find a country without them if that makes you happy. Then you can enjoy absorbing all the lead, mercury and other poisonous elements these agencies keep out of our air, water and food supply.

Constantine on December 22, 2011 at 4:32 PM

gryphon beat me to it.

Dominion on December 22, 2011 at 4:10 PM

And anyone with a shred of sense can beat his argument to a pulp.

MelonCollie on December 22, 2011 at 4:49 PM

Constantine on December 22, 2011 at 4:32 PM

EPIC LOGIC FAIL

Buddy, the constitution specifically lays out the duties of the federales and tells the states what they may not do. If you haven’t figured out the reason for that by now, I’m guessing you were the product of a public school ejucayshun.

gryphon202 on December 22, 2011 at 4:57 PM

Constantine you seem like you are a young maybe high school, maybe early college student, so you are still undergoing the liberal indoctrination process, by liberal teaches and Marxist, never been out in the real world professors. I bet you are are being told on a daily bases, what a horrible place America is, by the above mention liberal agenda driven teaches and professors. I grew up in a time where socialist were making people and their families disappear for a wrong word uttered. I grew up in a time when people would risk being shot, to escape there socialist slave masters, who built a wall which include land mines, attack dogs, guard towers, who guards where order to shoot to kill anyone who attempted to escape. I personally know some of the luck few that escape from these socialist regimes, the stories these survivors would tell me about the socialist hell holes they escaped from, would give you Constantine nightmares for years. These socialist hell holes are a far cry from the people paradise, where every thing is powered by rainbows and unicorn farts, that your teaches or professors try and tell you. Constantine I know people who truly lived under socialist nightmares, and I am a Conservative who takes what they say very seriously, and right now they are feeling very nervous about the direction this country is heading, because they have seen it, and lived under it before, but now they have no where else to escape to, and they are scared. So Constantine, see here child don’t you dear try and throw socialism around lightly, because kid you have absolutely no clue about its unspeakable horrors. Very unfortunately for you Constantine, you will not learn about socialism pure evils, economic disasters, or the multiple millions put to death under socialist regimes, because teaching these truths of socialism in school today does not serve the liberal agenda.

Beastdogs on December 22, 2011 at 5:57 PM

EPIC LOGIC FAIL
gryphon202 on December 22, 2011 at 4:57 PM

So you’re contending the agencies I’ve listed are unconstitutional? There’s been a gross misinterpretation of the constitution that we’ve collectively let slide? Be clear.

Constantine on December 22, 2011 at 6:13 PM

Constantine on December 22, 2011 at 6:13 PM

I think that’s exactly what I’m saying. And before you accuse me of being for poisoning our youth, let me remind you that the EPA didn’t even exist until Nixon signed it into existence in 1971. How did we keep from poisoning ourselves until then? My argument is that there are some things the federal government can not be trusted to do. And it’ll be a cold day in hell when I let some scuzzy bureaucrat in DC tell me how to feed my children because “they have my best interests at heart.” Bullshit.

gryphon202 on December 22, 2011 at 6:24 PM

Beastdogs on December 22, 2011 at 5:57 PM

I’m a 48 year old professional, who graduated from UCLA with honors, loves this country. I’m apalled that you think anything like socialism is going on in this country. You are horribly, horribly misinformed and seem to really have no idea what the word means.

Socialism: any of various economic and political theories advocating collective or governmental ownership and administration of the means of production and distribution of goods.

Nobody in either of the major parties have advocated anything like this. Socialism is the boogeyman corporate interests have conjured up to frighten you into acting against your own best interest.

Constantine on December 22, 2011 at 6:31 PM

Constantine on December 22, 2011 at 6:31 PM

Well then I guess you and I will have to simply agree to disagree. “Freedom” apparently means something different to you than its dictionary definition.

gryphon202 on December 22, 2011 at 6:54 PM

gryphon202 on December 22, 2011 at 6:24 PM

Everybody can agree on that first bit; it’s a matter of which issues on which we’ve collectively decided to take that risk.

Nobody should tell you how to feed your kids. But it is within the purview of a public agency to decide which foods will be available (not forced to eat) if your kid is at their facility without a lunch.

Constantine on December 22, 2011 at 7:02 PM

Constantine on December 22, 2011 at 7:02 PM

Then I guess you don’t think the massive amounts of food being thrown out without being touched is a problem. Just as long as you can claim that Michelle Obama’s intentions are good.

/FacePalm

gryphon202 on December 22, 2011 at 7:09 PM

Constantine what does corporations have to do with anything here, but since you brought them up, you liberals are the ones that are delusional about them. You liberals are the ones that see corporations as evil boogeyman not conservatives like myself. Corporations are voluntary entities that come and go in the market place all the time. Corporations serve their masters, and their masters are the stock holds, the stockholders are every day people like myself who chose by our own free will to take a chance and invest our hard earn money, in a entity that will give us a return our investment. Corporations make products, sell goods or services and so on, and hopefully make a profit at the end of the day, which will hopefully then encourage more people to take a chance and invest in them. For all the power you liberals think these corporations have, you lack one of the key understandings about them: a corporation can not and have absolutely no power to make anyone purchase their goods or use the services they offer or even purchase any of the stock they offer for sale. The federal government on the other hand, can even at the point of a gun, make you do what ever it wishes. As for this country heading on a path toward socialism I trust my own eyes and the people I know who lived and escaped socialist nightmares, who are expressing to me their concerns and fears to me about the direction this country is heading.

Beastdogs on December 22, 2011 at 7:34 PM

It’s none of Moochell’s business what my kids eat. And I guarantee you that my kids are a lot more physically fit than hers are. Our daughter won the third place medal in swimming at Junior Nationals and our son just qualified to compete in cross country in the upcoming Junior Nationals. And they did it without any so-called help from the government.

sherrimae on December 23, 2011 at 1:18 AM

scalleywag on December 22, 2011 at 2:48 PM

Blind in one eye and can’t see out of the other?

herm2416 on December 23, 2011 at 5:28 AM

I prefer First Ladies to spend their time in some other pursuit than trying to better our lives.

First Ladies are married to the President and so they are in the WH to please him, not us. We don’t need them to be our lifestyle gurus.

MayBee on December 24, 2011 at 11:28 AM

Laura Bush didn’t force kids to read.

cozmo on December 22, 2011 at 11:10 AM

And she already could read quite well.

JimC on December 24, 2011 at 1:42 PM

Hey, kid. Want a Pringles? The first three are free.

andycanuck on December 24, 2011 at 2:02 PM