Theme of School Christmas play: ‘Occupy North Pole’ (Video)
posted at 1:41 pm on December 19, 2011 by Howard Portnoy
The Quaker-based George School in Newton, Pennsylvania, has come up with a clever new angle for its annual Christmas dance performance. Unlike typical holiday pageants, which focus on of the birth of Jesus and similarly stale topics, this one centers on the other key personage in the Christmas story, Santa Claus.
But it doesn’t stop there. This “new Christmas tradition” focuses on corporate greed, outsourcing, the evils of capitalism, and other societal ills that can be cured through wealth redistribution and, one guesses, the singing of “Kumbaya.” The title of the production is “Occupy North Pole.”
This year’s dance theme is based on an original story written by Barbara Kibler, who has been a George School dance teacher for twenty-eight years. The action takes place in the North Pole with Santa Claus and his elves losing their workshop as a result of eminent domain. Soon, the elves’ work is outsourced and the workshop is taken over by a new corporate conglomerate, whose acronym is GREED. The sad and unfulfilled executive in charge begins using background checks to determine if children have been naughty or nice.
From this plight, Occupy North Pole is born.
A video clip from the performance reveals an odd agglomeration of Irish step dancing (including by Santa), narration, and too much more.
The school website quotes the story’s author as saying, “We all need to be politically and socially aware. We have to step up and help each other.”
- HS ‘prank’ tricks teens into making out with their own parent (Video)
- LI HS students suspended for Tebowing in the hall
- Dustup over Obama daughters’ school Pearl Harbor Day ‘Japanese’ menu
- HS principal’s course credit scam may cost 100 seniors their diplomas
- Teacher and aide captured on hidden audio abusing developmentally disabled child
- Gay advocates want NJ teacher fired for anti-gay Facebook postings
- CA teacher will lower grade of any student who says ‘God bless you’
- NY-area teens arrested for paying college whiz to take SATs for them
Recently in the Green Room:
- Obligatory Bill Clinton drew pictures of man parts on classified documents post
- Winning entry for HHS’s ObamaCare propaganda video contest: “Forget About the Price Tag”
- The Ed Morrissey Show on hiatus
- Health records ‘data security,’ Canada-style
- Good news from Piers Morgan: Obama’s a perfect physical specimen