Tebrew, beverage of champions?
posted at 12:09 pm on December 16, 2011 by Howard Portnoy
Will quarterback Tim Tebow once again pull the Denver Broncos back from the jaws of defeat in the fourth quarter or overtime this coming Sunday? Will he once again lead the team there in the first place by playing horrendously during the first three quarters?
These are questions no one can profess to answer. One thing fans and detractors alike can agree on is that Tebowmania—a fascination with Tebow borne of a conviction that his success is rooted (at least in part) in the power of prayer—is here for the duration.
Sports gear manufacturers are certainly taking Tebowmania to the bank, literally. Sports Business Journal Daily quotes Brian Swallow, vice president of business development for Jacksonville-based Fanatics.com, as reporting a 50 percent increase in the sale of Tebow merchandise in a two-week period.
Now, thanks to Bonfire Brewing Company of Eagle, Colorado, believers can drink to the possibility of Tebow’s continuing come-from-behind victories with a frosty glass of Tebrew, a barley wine with a relatively high alcohol content. The product’s logo is a silhouette of a man “Tebowing”—kneeling in the now-familiar prayerful pose—while holding a mug, ostensibly of the beverage.
Bonfire co-founder Andy Jessen is quoted by Vail Daily as saying of Tebrew:
We’ve been getting calls from all over the country. It’s been great for the brewery, great for Eagle and great for the state.
Jessen acknowledges that he doesn’t know whether Tebow himself drinks, adding that Tebrew is “more about fans and football than the player.”
As to the beverage’s name, I like my son’s analysis that “it sounds like it should be Jewish tea except that Jews already have a tea—Lipton.”
- Is Tebowing an attack on Christianity?
- U.S. in need of heroes to worship
- Delta Airlines accused of enforcing Sharia law against Jewish passengers
- New York Hasidic newspaper edits Clinton out of iconic Situation Room photo
- Islamic “jury” offers $2.2 million for head of Koran-burning FL pastor
- Supreme Court rules in favor of hate-spewing Westboro Baptist Church
- I wish you a Merry Christmas: No hard feelings?
- Christmas in Bethlehem: Cross banished to appease Islamic fundamentalists
- China detains members of a non-state-run church at Easter services
Recently in the Green Room: