Occupy protester puts 4-year-old on train tracks to stop rail traffic
posted at 4:04 pm on December 15, 2011 by Howard Portnoy
Protesters with the Occupy Portland movement have been busy of late. No, they have not been working or seeking gainful employment. Rather, their efforts have been expended on blocking currently employed 99 percenters from getting to and doing their jobs.
On Monday, several hundred members of the movement blocked the entrances to two terminals at the Port of Portland. As a result, nearly 400 longshoremen who work the docks were told by employers to stay home. Josh Thomas, a spokeman for the port, told Oregon Live that the workers will not be paid during this “hiatus.” However, protesters are quoted as saying, “We are in solidarity with them even if they don’t know it.” That assurance should go far in putting bread on the tables of those forced out of work.
One interesting sidebar to the story reported by Weasel Zippers is that the work stoppage took food out of the mouths of one thousand of Oregon’s neediest residents. A number of the trucks that were stopped were on a mission of mercy to deliver holiday meals to families who are really down on their luck.
A second, also courtesy of Weasel Zippers, is this video footage of a female protester who placed her 4-year-old on train tracks to stop rail traffic. Says the caring mom (who WZ writes, is “a lock for the ‘mother of the year’ award”):
The thing is, I have faith in humanity. I don’t think any person driving a train is going to plow through a bunch of children.
She may have faith in humanity, but she clearly lacks an awareness of the principle of inertia, taught by the third grade, which suggests that a freight train carrying even a light load and traveling slowly may not be able to stop on a dime.
- Obama heckled by Occupiers at campaign stop
- Occupy Wall Street becomes Burn Down Wall Street
- Hypocritical OWS protesters channel 1%: Stay at $700-a-night hotel
- Occupiers’ newest enemy: schoolchildren
- Poll: 73% of OWS disapprove of Obama’s job; 36% plan to vote for him
- Pew poll: Public now divided over Occupy Wall Street
- Obama campaign goes all in: casts its lot with Occupy movement
Recently in the Green Room:
- Real question: Does Obama’s budget fund overseas abortions to protect endangered animals?
- Photo of the day: Crimea now belongs to Russia, at least on Russian propaganda TV
- Vatican: Pope Francis wasn’t talking about same-sex relationships; Update: “Civil unions” explained
- RNC ad: Crying infant greets Obama’s new debt-laden budget
- Update: Grayson dismisses ‘erratic’ wife after abuse allegation