Obama campaign urges supporters to send contact info of GOP associates
posted at 12:19 pm on December 14, 2011 by Howard Portnoy
Face it, Barack Obama is a fun guy. You can tell from his easygoing manner and his sheer insouciance in the face of even the most scathing criticism.
You can also tell from this message at the president’s campaign website:
This holiday season, we’re giving you a chance to have a little fun at the expense of a Republican in your life by letting them know they inspired you to make a donation to the Obama campaign.
Simply enter their name and email address below. Then, we’ll send them a message letting them know they inspired you to donate. [Emphasis added]
Keith Koffler at White House Dossier writes vis-à-vis the request for contact information:
The effort could help the Obama campaign build a database that would enable it to target Republican voters during the general election campaign. But, more perniciously, it could also become part of an [sic] Democratic effort to influence Republican primary voters to select a candidate Democrats think Obama could most easily defeat.
While Obama does have a troubling history of asking supporters to snitch on his enemies, I see this latest move as far less invidious, as just another sappy hook to raise donations. In fact, the message doubles down on a previous hook—dinner with Obama and his missus—by including the following as a footnote:
Important: By making a donation today, you’ll be automatically entered for a chance to have dinner with Barack and Michelle Obama. By clicking on the ‘Submit’ button below or otherwise participating in the promotion, you agree to be bound by these Official Rules and represent that you satisfy all of the eligibility requirements.
- Would you spend $3 to have dinner with Obama? (Do I hear $2.50)
- Obama’s myth of transparency: game, match, set
- Obama’s latest gaffe: We’re the country that built the Intercontinental Railroad
- OWS alert: Obama’s newest campaign adviser is Wall Street lobbyist
- Where’s Weirdo: Obama’s very special photo op
- Remember when Obama was too cool to joke about?
- Barack Obama: “funniest person alive”
- The real joke behind the White House’s unintended “laugh” line
- Obama administration fights to keep WH visitor logs secret
- Obama new AttackWatch website: Snitches wanted
- Internal WH memo: Few entrants in Obama commencement speech contest
Recently in the Green Room: