Green Room

Customers waiting for fast food unfazed by gunfire inches away

posted at 1:08 pm on December 14, 2011 by

What price an In-N-Out Burger “Double-Double?” I don’t mean literally what does the fast food chain charge for the sandwich? Rather, what are devotees of the restaurant, which services five western states, willing to risk in order to chow down at one of its installations?

An answer to that question seems to have been provided on Monday, at a branch of In-N-Out Burger in Pinole, California, where a man in his twenties opened fire on another man just after 5 p.m. The shooting occurred in the drive-through line, but drivers mere feet from the incident were unmoved—literally—by the sounds or sights of gun violence. Instead, they sat patiently in line, waiting to pick up their orders.

MercuryNews.com reports that the victim was airlifted to a regional trauma center, where he remains in critical condition.

The sound of the gunshots was loud enough to rouse customers of a pizzeria next door but not to deter burger lovers, who continued streaming through until 7:15 p.m., when police officially closed the restaurant to investigate the shooting.

One possible explanation for the customers’ stoic behavior is that the food at In-N-Out Burger is that good. Another possibility is that violence at fast food restaurants is becoming so routine an occurrence that patrons have become inured to it.

Related Articles

Follow me on Twitter or join me at Facebook. You can reach me at howard.portnoy@gmail.com or by posting a comment below.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

In-n-out is the BEST fast food burger in the U.S.

But…

I don’t think most people, especially in places like California, are familiar enough with the sounds of gunfire to be excited about it. Depending on the neighborhood, loud reports are common enough to be ignored like all other urban noise.

CrazyGene on December 14, 2011 at 1:25 PM

There are priorities.

Speakup on December 14, 2011 at 1:27 PM

I always take wet wipes with me to In-N-Out. A little gunfire amongst burger snobs chowing down on their monster styles- just eat it and beat it- that’s all.

Cat in a banana dress on December 14, 2011 at 1:39 PM

Instead, they sat patiently in line, waiting to pick up their orders.

Well, to be fair, the lines at In-N-Out are reeeeally long.

In-N-Out is the best burger joint in America…

if you’ve never been to the rest of America.

Last I checked, their burgers taste almost exactly like Steak ‘n’ Shake, which I won’t eat at because of the atrocious way they openly treat their own employees.

Five Guys or Red Robin for me if I’m looking for burgers, but hell, I live in da souf, AND WE HAVE CHICK-FIL-A!

mintycrys on December 14, 2011 at 1:42 PM

They were in cars directly behind the shooting. They could see what was going on.

Howard Portnoy on December 14, 2011 at 1:42 PM

At WalMart a man stabbed his wife to death and the store remained open and serving customers while police investigated the sceme.

lexhamfox on December 14, 2011 at 1:57 PM

You can shoot all you want, but you can’t keep me from my In-N-Out fries, animal style!

Difficultas_Est_Imperium on December 14, 2011 at 2:39 PM

…I’ll go with this explanation. Does inured rhyme with manured? Yes, I believe it does! Sad but true: the latter could replace the former in the original text with little change in true understanding.

This is my first post and I would like to say a warm hello! to everyone here at Hot Air. Thanks for allowing me to join the fray! C.S.

Cordwainer Sith on December 14, 2011 at 3:12 PM

It’s Kalifornia. They had to just be filming a movie right? Cause all the dangerous guns are illegal there.

PXCharon on December 14, 2011 at 3:24 PM

Hello back at ya. Welcome aboard.

Howard Portnoy on December 14, 2011 at 3:28 PM

Hello back at ya. Welcome aboard.

Thanks H.P.!

It’s an honor to be here and share in the fun and excellent company. Add one more to the Badger State tally. Go PACK!

Cordwainer Sith on December 14, 2011 at 3:32 PM

This happened in Pinole, north of Richmond and Oakland, CA.
No one is alarmed by a few gun shots in those parts of bay area.

burrata on December 14, 2011 at 3:39 PM

I have eaten at that Pinole In n Out more times than I can count…but never with gunfire.

Bob's Kid on December 14, 2011 at 4:26 PM

I’d like an order of 7.62 mm rounds, with extra gunpowder, and a side of napalm for some extra heat. But please hold the ambulance.

Imrahil on December 14, 2011 at 4:33 PM

give them “THUGS” A 158 grain JHP to the skull, tell them its from me! hehehehehehee,

ARIZONAVETERAN on December 14, 2011 at 5:12 PM

Never had the burger………… Is itt any good?

murrayjones on December 14, 2011 at 6:14 PM

murrayjones — In-n-Out is a good burger, but it’s nowhere near as good as the Californians all say it is. I don’t think I’d step over anyone’s carcass to get one.

Brendon Carr on December 14, 2011 at 10:36 PM

In-N-Out is the best burger joint in America…

if you’ve never been to the rest of America.

mintycrys on December 14, 2011 at 1:42 PM

Sorry, friend-o, but I’ve lived and worked all over the U.S. (and the world), and In-N-Out is the best there is. The Best. I’ve had a number of burgers at Five Guys back East, and I don’t know what all the fuss is about. I mean, their burger is okay, but nothing to write home about. After you’ve had a Double-Double “animal”-style, you’ll think Five Guys tastes like dog food.

Okay, flame away….

Hayabusa on December 14, 2011 at 11:07 PM

I don’t know if their burgers are the best, but I can attest to the fact that LOTS of patrons think so; Near my home there is a restaurant and I get to see its drive-by lane (a very long one), packed all the way, all the time, any day of the week.
As for the gunfire at the Pinole location… Hey! What’s a little lead among “friends”?

APasserBy on December 15, 2011 at 1:17 AM

Come on, what are you actually going to do? Get out of your car – and get shot? It’s not like you can flee the scene in your car – they have those curbs at a lot of drive-thrus so you can’t leave the line. You going to whip out your concealed carry and bust the perp? Please, this is California. The best thing you can do (because in a drive-thru you are trapped) is discreetly pull out your cell phone and call 911. (Unless, of course, it’s disabled after the NTSB-backed laws are passed.)

GWB on December 15, 2011 at 9:56 AM

actually not that unusual. most people don’t know what REAL gunfire sounds like (thank you, hollywood). so they react like it’s a car backfire or firecrackers.

warhorse_03826 on December 15, 2011 at 1:16 PM