Green Room

Obama’s celebrates Hanukkah at the White House … 2 weeks early

posted at 10:12 am on December 9, 2011 by

“We never need an excuse for a good party.” So said President Barack Obama last night as he ushered in Hanukkah, the Jewish Festival of Lights, at the White House. Unlike the slowpoke Jews, who light only one candle the first night, increasing that number by 1 each of the eight nights of the holiday, Obama lit all eight. But that hardly matters since Hanukkah doesn’t officially begin until the evening of December 21, which is two weeks from now.

Some will accuse Obama of getting the date wrong, as he did when he wrote “2008” next to his signature in the guestbook at Westminster Abbey earlier this year. But this video clip provides evidence that the president knew full well what he was doing this time.

So why did he jump the gun on the actual start of Hannukah? Hey, the guy is busy! Who knows what his calendar will be like two weeks from now? He’s got important campaigning to do. Besides, it’s not as though we’re talking about Ramadan here.

As for the president’s observation about never needing an excuse for a good party, Daniel Halper at the Weekly Standard blog writes:

[W]ith unemployment at 8.6 percent, and with many having already quit looking for a job, I doubt many Americans would be heartened to hear the president saying he ‘never need[s] an excuse for a good party.’

As for the party, Hannukah is customarily celebrated by the eating of latkes, potato pancakes fried in hot oil. I wonder if the ever-vigilant First Lady saw to it that White House chef Sam Kass substituted fruit, which is an “any time” food.

Related Articles

Follow me on Twitter or join me at Facebook. You can reach me at howard.portnoy@gmail.com or by posting a comment below.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

Easter will be celebrated in January, Passover in the next two days, next Christmas will be celebrated in July, and Thanksgiving in September.

After all, what are the traditional dates for religious celebrations in face of “liking a good party”?

mjk on December 9, 2011 at 10:56 AM

Obama lit all eight.

Well, why the hell not? After all, the SCOAMF probably thinks Hannukkah is Moses’ birthday.

It really is getting to the point where there is nothing this narcissistic, BS artist will ever be able to do that will convince me he’s even seen an Ivy League university, let alone attended as a student.

My Sharia Moor on December 9, 2011 at 11:07 AM

He must have some fund raisin’ to do on the actual dates. Is it just me or are things moving faster these days.

Kissmygrits on December 9, 2011 at 11:56 AM

I hope the RNC makes ads playing over and over again showing Obama saying he never needs an excuse for a good party. What a worthless pos. I think he rushed the Hanukkah celebration because he’s planning to take his luxurious taxpayer funded vacation in Hawaii later this month.

GrannySunni on December 9, 2011 at 12:47 PM

It seems he’s in a hurry to get it over-with! He lit every one of the candles on the menorah! Doesn’t this guy have ANY handlers to help him through these events? How can Jewish people vote for this dolt? By the way, this is my first Hot Air comment an I’m very excited to be able to participate now!

justjulie20 on December 9, 2011 at 1:23 PM

Happy to have you onboard.

Howard Portnoy on December 9, 2011 at 1:32 PM

“We never need an excuse for a good party.”

Brushing off the Jewish holy period with such glib, unserious regard for the Jewish holy day is disgusting. Punk.

petefrt on December 9, 2011 at 1:57 PM

How can Jewish people vote for this dolt? justjulie20 on December 9, 2011 at 1:23 PM

Great question. How can blacks continue to vote for Democrats? It’s a mystery to me.

WhaleBellied on December 9, 2011 at 1:59 PM

justjulie20 on December 9, 2011 at 1:23 PM

Looks like an OotD, don’t ya think? And a whopper, at that.

petefrt on December 9, 2011 at 2:00 PM

Jewish holy day period

Ugh, I thought I had fixed that.

petefrt on December 9, 2011 at 2:01 PM

That Philistine who is destroying the Temple will be banished by all us Maccabees. Bets that those candles will burn for eight days?

NOMOBO on December 10, 2011 at 7:59 AM

Don’t bother listening to Obama’s words, just watch his visual clues to discern his true beliefs. He excels at “backhanded” gestures to send a message. From scratching his nose with his middle finger with a knowing little smile in campaign tirades to removing the bust of Churchill from the Oval Office to now mocking the Jewish Holy Days he “screams” to the world his dislike for traditional America. Yet at the same time, he perfectly pronounces Pakistan, Taliban and Ramadan as a show of respect. It’s enough to make one think he might really be a . . . well, you know. This time around, let’s hope Americans see through the Hollywood stagecraft, their undeserved ancestral guilt and retire Obama to the golf course.

SpiderMike on December 10, 2011 at 10:27 AM