Obama’s celebrates Hanukkah at the White House … 2 weeks early
posted at 10:12 am on December 9, 2011 by Howard Portnoy
“We never need an excuse for a good party.” So said President Barack Obama last night as he ushered in Hanukkah, the Jewish Festival of Lights, at the White House. Unlike the slowpoke Jews, who light only one candle the first night, increasing that number by 1 each of the eight nights of the holiday, Obama lit all eight. But that hardly matters since Hanukkah doesn’t officially begin until the evening of December 21, which is two weeks from now.
Some will accuse Obama of getting the date wrong, as he did when he wrote “2008” next to his signature in the guestbook at Westminster Abbey earlier this year. But this video clip provides evidence that the president knew full well what he was doing this time.
So why did he jump the gun on the actual start of Hannukah? Hey, the guy is busy! Who knows what his calendar will be like two weeks from now? He’s got important campaigning to do. Besides, it’s not as though we’re talking about Ramadan here.
[W]ith unemployment at 8.6 percent, and with many having already quit looking for a job, I doubt many Americans would be heartened to hear the president saying he ‘never need[s] an excuse for a good party.’
As for the party, Hannukah is customarily celebrated by the eating of latkes, potato pancakes fried in hot oil. I wonder if the ever-vigilant First Lady saw to it that White House chef Sam Kass substituted fruit, which is an “any time” food.
- You want to create your own political cartoons? There’s an app for that
- Obama’s latest gaffe: We’re the country that built the Intercontinental Railroad
- Where’s Weirdo: Obama’s very special photo op
- Barack Obama: “funniest person alive”
- Remember when Obama was too cool to joke about?
- The real joke behind the White House’s unintended “laugh” line
- Obama signs Westminster Abbey guestbook, dates it “2008″
- White House kid indoctrination video contains dangerous nutritional advice
Recently in the Green Room:
- Programming note: Guest-hosting the Hugh Hewitt Show tonight w/ MKH
- Obligatory Bill Clinton drew pictures of man parts on classified documents post
- Winning entry for HHS’s ObamaCare propaganda video contest: “Forget About the Price Tag”
- The Ed Morrissey Show on hiatus
- Health records ‘data security,’ Canada-style