Green Room

600 Million Gamers Are Virtually Violating the Geneva Convention?

posted at 5:23 pm on December 8, 2011 by

The International Committee of the Red Cross evidently has funding and staffers to spare.  At a meeting last week, they found the time to discuss what their response should be to the approximately 600 million gamers who may be virtually violating international humanitarian law. Their rationale for this, according to the FAQ, is that

In real life, armed forces are subject to the laws of armed conflict. Video games simulating the experience of armed forces therefore have the potential to raise awareness of the rules that those forces must comply with whenever they engage in armed conflict – this is one of the things that interests the ICRC.

While your Call of Duty addiction isn’t going to score you a free trip to The Hague for a war crimes tribunal, the ICRC is considering a report from the TRIAL organization which suggests ways to regulate gaming companies:

One possible course of action could be to encourage game designers/producers to incorporate [international humanitarian law] in the development and design of video games, while another could be to encourage governments to adopt laws and regulations to regulate this ever-growing industry.

So if persuasion doesn’t work, they’d like to get laws passed that require video game companies to “raise awareness” on behalf of the ICRC.  In other words, to do the ICRC’s work for it, without compensation. If this issue is so important to the ICRC, maybe they should partner with a willing gaming company to create a new game which complies with the Geneva and Hague Conventions – something like the US Army’s video game/recruitment tool, America’s Army.  Alternatively, they could pay for in-game advertising.  But to require private companies to provide free advertising to the ICRC is nanny statism run amok.

The FAQ assures us they have resources for both real-life warfare and for “creating an environment conducive to respect for the dignity of persons affected.”  However, in a separate post, the ICRC is asking donors for 1.15 billion Swiss francs (about $1.2 billion) due to the “sudden emergencies in the Middle East and North Africa that began during the first months of this year have resulted in the death, injury and suffering of tens of thousands of people.”  Given that, I suggest they spend less time worrying about regulating entertainment and more on those tens of thousands of real-life people.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

If we’re to be worried about “human rights” in the virtual world then I have a fantastic idea: Create a Sim City-like game where the “government” (the game) can require us to pay high taxes. By the Red Cross’ standards, I can play the game and feel good that I paid my “fair share.”

Problem solved.

Kingfisher on December 9, 2011 at 12:17 PM

What about all those poor Sith I’m going to gun down (by shooting first) when I play a Smuggler in Star Wars: The old Republic?

Yakko77 on December 9, 2011 at 12:29 PM

Yakko77 on December 9, 2011 at 12:29 PM

Rebel scum!

Demosthenes on December 9, 2011 at 12:53 PM

Yakko77 on December 9, 2011 at 12:29 PM

I don’t think so. You’ll be too much in awe of my schwartz being bigger than yours.

MNHawk on December 9, 2011 at 1:13 PM

I dislike nosy, interfering neighbors with a passion. Now I know why, and my intolerance for meddling busybodies has gone up to the “seething” level.

Also, the Red Cross, even the American Red Cross, has been on my “do not donate” list ever since it came out that they were squirreling away donations meant for families of victims of 9/11 instead of putting it where they promised. My money goes to the Salvation Army, another politically incorrect organization.

hachiban on December 9, 2011 at 4:02 PM

I bet they can’t stand the very thought of god mode.

davisbr on December 9, 2011 at 4:29 PM

My husband and I play World of Warcraft. I’m having a lot of trouble trying to visualize international law in the mix. The Horde just simply doesn’t care about International Law. If you see an Ally in one of the Horde cities, you kill it. Period. No trial, no suing in court, none of that happy PC horsecrap.

If they make WOW politically correct, that will make me really, really cranky.

For the Horde!!!

sage0925 on December 9, 2011 at 7:09 PM

I bet they can’t stand the very thought of god mode.

davisbr on December 9, 2011 at 4:29 PM

Nice!

Garym on December 10, 2011 at 8:58 AM

Top Pick

“primarily because the penalty for not having insurance would be eliminated.”

Top Pick

“If I were a Seattle lawmaker, I would be thinking hard about the $15 an hour phase-in.”

Days of future past

“Not only are taxpayers footing the bill, but people are dying unnecessarily because of this.”

Israel settles who can stand where at the Western Wall

Andrew Malcolm Jun 26, 2017 3:21 PM

Women to the right, men to the left.

Look on the bright side. There’s less snow in the summer

Big win … but for how long?

“Several Russian cities have unveiled monuments to Stalin in recent months.”

Massive disappointment

Emboldened conservative wing?

It’s more about the powers of the Presidency at this point

A second look at paper ballots?

Jazz Shaw Jun 26, 2017 10:41 AM

Low tech solutions to high tech crime

No extra beatings required, thanks

A “”massive, massive f*** up…”

This is totally amazing!

McConnell may not get his wish on health care vote

Taylor Millard Jun 25, 2017 7:31 PM

Senate leadership wants a vote this week, others say, “Negative, Ghost Rider.”

Helping others without the government.

“…the reality is the reality.”

These kiosks don’t make $15 per hour or need benefits

Going for the record

“We will answer them on the field”

Taking it to the limit

Sunday morning talking heads

Jazz Shaw Jun 25, 2017 8:01 AM

Health care and tweeting and Russia, oh my!

Will they stay or will they go?

I can’t imagine what I was thinking when I said that

Rocking the boat majorly

Big government never contracts. It only grows more powerful

It’s only a “ban” until it becomes inconvenient

The decline and fall of Obamacare and the AHCA

Jazz Shaw Jun 24, 2017 8:31 AM

This was all over before it began

Fixing crime in America is a complicated issue

Taylor Millard Jun 23, 2017 8:31 PM

Cops alone won’t solve it.

Democrats forgot all about the “era of good feelings”

“Bernie and Jane Sanders have lawyered up.”

Winning isn’t everything. It is the only thing

Trump signs VA reform bill into law

John Sexton Jun 23, 2017 2:41 PM