Russian news anchor flips off Obama (Video)
posted at 12:33 pm on November 22, 2011 by Howard Portnoy
You don’t have to know Russian to be able to read the universal gesture made in this YouTube video of news anchor Tatiana Limanova as she clearly enunciates the name Barack Obama. It is a salute common among motorists here in New York when they are cut off by another car—even when the car is not part of the president’s too-frequent, traffic-choking motorcades in the Big Apple.
I can’t say what specifically prompted this bit of body language, but it may have something to do with Russian puppeteer Vladimir Putin’s distrust of the U.S. under Obama and his view of the American president as a “useful idiot.” However you slice it, it’s refreshingly candid. It would serve American newscasters well to be more forthcoming with their opinions.
A precedent for this subtext can be found in the supreme insult directed at then-President George W. Bush during his farewell visit to Iraq in 2008, when an Iraqi journalist removed his shoes and threw them at Bush, one after the other. The event, which was covered extensively by the mainstream media, spawned a game, Sock and Awe!, which had more than 5.5 million … er—hits.
At least Bush had the option of ducking.
Some will view this video and cry foul, pointing out that the gesture is an affront to the office of the presidency—and they will be right. It is as much an insult to the people of America as it is when their own president calls them lazy or tours the world apologizing for their past arrogance and inflated self-image. I for one will start respecting the office of the presidency again when Barack Obama begins to do the same.
- Obama needs to prompt audience at campaign event to ‘go ahead and clap’
- Where’s Weirdo: Obama’s very special photo op
- Barack Obama: “funniest person alive”
- Remember when Obama was too cool to joke about?
- The real joke behind the White House’s unintended “laugh” line
- START stalls in the Russian parliament: A snub to Obama
Recently in the Green Room:
- Sunday reflection: Matthew 4:1-11
- Rand Paul wins CPAC straw poll
- Real question: Does Obama’s budget fund overseas abortions to protect endangered animals?
- Photo of the day: Crimea now belongs to Russia, at least on Russian propaganda TV
- Vatican: Pope Francis wasn’t talking about same-sex relationships; Update: “Civil unions” explained