Green Room

College Football Open Thread: #1 LSU vs. #2 ALABAMA ~ Who’s Going to Win? UPDATE-GAME ON!

posted at 8:43 pm on November 4, 2011 by

Welcome College Football Fans!

Bryant-Denny Stadium

LIVE STREAM LINK

The long awaited game is finally here: LSU takes on Alabama in Bryant-Denny Stadium, Tuscaloosa this Saturday evening.  Game time is 8:00 pm (EST) 5:00 pm on the West Coast on CBS.

Unfortunately, (or fortunately, if your team’s on the outside), one of these teams will likely be dropping  out of the BCS National Championship game.  The team that looses will probably drop down in the BCS rankings to the number six or seven spot, depending on the outcomes of other top ten teams.

For you betting fans the Crimson Tide is favored to win, -4 and a half.

Other important Saturday games include #14 Kansas St. at #3 Oklahoma St. and another SEC powerhouse game pitting #9 South Carolina @ #7 Arkansas.  It would be real shockers if #’s 4, 5, & 6 Stanford, Boise St. or Oklahoma lost this weekend.

I’ll be doing some updates as the day unfolds—comments welcome.

(p.s. I’d pick a winner for this “big game“, but I seriously have no idea who’s going to win this one.  That said, living on the west coast, there‘s still a chance for Stanford to get into the Championships, but the Cardinals will need some more “Luck“.)

Update:  OK, After further analysis, (and a good night’s sleep), under commenter radjah’s scenario of “a close game”, I’m revising/amending my statement that the loser will drop to six or seven spot.  In a close game, the loser will most likely drop to the #4 spot behind Oklahoma St. and Stanford, (who would move up to #2 & #3 providing they win).  Any final score that indicates one team “handled” the other team convincingly, then the loser could drop to the 5, 6, or 7 spot, again depending on the outcome.

Update: Final score LSU 9 ~ ALABAMA 6

Gem of a defensive game, but opportunities by both teams got away in a sloppy game that was supposed to be billed “the game of the century”.  Ok, I’ll give em’ a B+, (and you all know what that means around here).  Game ball to LSU for pullin’ out a mild upset in hostile country.

Round-up in the morning.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

Home field advantage. Gotta go with the Tide.

Dukeboy01 on November 4, 2011 at 10:16 PM

Unless it’s a blowout, nonsense. If ‘Bama wins 20 to 14 in a home game, no way LSU drops that much. Everybody and his brother–and more improtant to the BCS, his computer–knows the loser of this game would still likely beat Okkie State, Stanford, or Bosie State on a neutral field. You can even concoct a scenario where the BCS title game would be a LSU-Alabama rematch.

radjah shelduck on November 4, 2011 at 10:49 PM

ROLL TIDE!!

beachgirlusa on November 4, 2011 at 10:55 PM

Alabama’s home field advantage will be huge here so…
Alabama 24 – LSU 18

South Carolina’s defense proves too much for the Razorback (Go Gamecocks!!!) so.. Carolina 28, Arkansas 13

I really want Oklahoma St. to lose just cause more BCS chaos, but I doubt they will.

Wisconsin rights the ship and wins

SouthernGent on November 4, 2011 at 10:56 PM

South Carolina could be the monkey wrench in an Alabama-LSU rematch. Should the Gamecocks steal a win in the SEC title game, one of those two (Alabama or LSU) can’t get a BCS bowl because only two teams are allowed from each BCS conference. South Carolina, which I expect will win the SEC East, will have most of America rooting for it if that’s the case.

either orr on November 4, 2011 at 11:38 PM

radjah shelduck on November 4, 2011 at 10:49 PM

Spoken like a true blue died in the wool SEC miscreant :).

Humm, We’ll take this up tomorrow… (meaning there could be some good arguments to the contrary)

Rovin on November 4, 2011 at 11:53 PM

LSU has beat Alabama in Tuscaloosa 3 out of the last 4 times they met there and 8 out of 10 of their last meetings overall. Alabama has no home field advantage against LSU.

poorrichardsnews on November 5, 2011 at 1:50 AM

Alabama has no home field advantage against LSU.

poorrichardsnews on November 5, 2011 at 1:50 AM

I’m still glad they’re playing there tonight, though.

Regardless, may God keep all the players safe and I’m looking forward to a competitive, difficult game.

Roll Tide, class of a long time ago.

rogerb on November 5, 2011 at 4:49 AM

Thanks for the thread Rovin. I’m going with Bama at home under the lights. LSU and Bama are the two top teams in the country in my opinion. LSU has so much speed on both sides of the ball. I expect this game will be a close one; could wind up being a classic for all of us who love college football.

Bama 28 LSU 24……

Keemo on November 5, 2011 at 7:28 AM

radjah shelduck on November 4, 2011 at 10:49 PM

OK, After further analysis, (and a good night’s sleep), under radjah’s scenario of “a close game”, I’m revising/amending my statement that the loser will drop to six or seven spot. In a close game, the loser will most likely drop to the #4 spot behind Oklahoma St. and Stanford, (who would move up to #2 & #3 providing they win). Any final score that indicates one team “handled” the other team convincingly, then the loser could drop to the 5, 6, or 7 spot, again depending on the outcome.

(Since radjah has also mentioned the BCS computers, it should be noted that Oklahoma State is ranked #1 in five out of the six computers with Bama and LSU virtually tied in the #2 spot. However, there is a good argument at the website bleacher report that even the computers are wrong)

Rovin on November 5, 2011 at 10:15 AM

LSU baby!!!!! If they can continue their streak of not turning over the ball, they should win by 10 points. Night time is LSU’s time. We won day games by double digits while half asleep. We love road games because we play better on the road than at home. We can handle this big game since the internal turmoil we’ve dealt with so far makes today just another . . . night game on the road. Everyone is healthy. And even if they weren’t, we’re 3 deep in every position.

Bob L on November 5, 2011 at 11:15 AM

ROLL TIIIIDE! (Not an alum, an Alabaman, nor have any connection to the school, but there it is.)

And Stanford would beat either team. :-P

Abby Adams on November 5, 2011 at 12:54 PM

poorrichardsnews on November 5, 2011 at 1:50 AM

Here’s the problem: by going back ten years, you’re taking this to the era where Alabama lost home games to Central Florida, Northern Illinois, and La.–Monroe. Plus Tommy Tuberville was farting on Mike Shula’s head every year in the Iron Bowl. In other words, the days when the current Alabama coach patrolled the sidelines for LSU! So much depends on a good coach in college football that I can’t see arguing ‘Bama has no home filed advantage ove LSU now because they didn’t ten years ago.

radjah shelduck on November 5, 2011 at 1:01 PM

‘Bama 35 – LSU 17. Tide will roll.

Vince on November 5, 2011 at 3:22 PM

‘Scuse me. 31-17 ‘Bama.

Vince on November 5, 2011 at 3:24 PM

In case you didn’t realize it, in the Les Miles vs Nick Saban matchup, Les Miles leads 3-2.

poorrichardsnews on November 5, 2011 at 4:53 PM

Looks like #4 Stanford’s going to meet #8 Oregon, (7-1) next week still undefeated. #6 Oklahoma’s rolling over A&M.

Only one hour 20 minutes till the Big Game!

Rovin on November 5, 2011 at 6:43 PM

I grew up with some serious Bama fans, but went to LSU for college. So I’m happy for both of them.

stefanite on November 5, 2011 at 8:15 PM

Mississippi State 21…Tennessee Martin 0. End of 1st quarter.

Is this the big game you were talking about..?/

d1carter on November 5, 2011 at 8:28 PM

LOL carter…..South Carolina 14, Arkansas 17 seven minutes left in 2nd qtr. LSU/BAMA: still no score.

Rovin on November 5, 2011 at 8:34 PM

I am switching between my game and the LSU/Bama game…

d1carter on November 5, 2011 at 8:37 PM

Upset watch: Kansas St 24 Oklahoma St. 17 (still 7:50 left in the 1st half.

Rovin on November 5, 2011 at 9:27 PM

LSU is infamous for desperate trick plays.

That said, my Stanford sailed on to another victory, 16 games being the longest winning streak in college football.

John the Libertarian on November 5, 2011 at 10:13 PM

Yeah a college football thread. Are we going to have one of these every week?

gophergirl on November 5, 2011 at 11:04 PM

And Stanford would beat either team. :-P

Abby Adams on November 5, 2011 at 12:54 PM

That’s my gal!

(wait, is that harassment?)

John the Libertarian on November 5, 2011 at 11:05 PM

‘Scuse me. 31-17 ‘Bama.

Vince on November 5, 2011 at 3:24 PM

Care to amend that answer again, Mr. Mulligan?

John the Libertarian on November 5, 2011 at 11:06 PM

Yeah a college football thread. Are we going to have one of these every week?

gophergirl on November 5, 2011 at 11:04 PM

Where ya been gg? Yeah, I can do one each week for the rest of the season—if you’d like.

Rovin on November 5, 2011 at 11:07 PM

Stay classy LSU.

rogerb on November 5, 2011 at 11:15 PM

Rovin on November 5, 2011 at 11:07 PM

John just told me about this a couple of minutes ago.

It would be nice to come talk college football every week.

This is quite the game!

As for my Gophers – they were so close today. But only lost by 7 on the road. Things are getting better.

gophergirl on November 5, 2011 at 11:16 PM

Holy crap the OK ST/KS ST game score.

Too many good sport events on TV tonight. I needed picture in picture in picture.

gophergirl on November 5, 2011 at 11:18 PM

WHEW what a game!

gophergirl on November 5, 2011 at 11:36 PM

Rovin on November 4, 2011 at 11:53 PM

Ooooh, I can’t wait.

gophergirl on November 5, 2011 at 11:36 PM

Hey gophergirl!

How ’bout that Michigan/Iowa game, huh?

listens2glenn on November 5, 2011 at 11:40 PM

Hey gophergirl!

How ’bout that Michigan/Iowa game, huh?

listens2glenn on November 5, 2011 at 11:40 PM

And Nebraska/Northwestern.

Next week is our ultimate rivalry game – Wisconsin. Hopefully the guys play like they have the past two weeks.

gophergirl on November 5, 2011 at 11:47 PM

Alabama has no home field advantage against LSU.

poorrichardsnews on November 5, 2011 at 1:50 AM

I’m still glad they’re playing there tonight, though.

Roll Tide, class of a long time ago.

rogerb on November 5, 2011 at 4:49 AM

Told you so.

poorrichardsnews on November 6, 2011 at 12:32 AM

How ’bout that Michigan/Iowa game, huh?

listens2glenn on November 5, 2011 at 11:40 PM

Poor Michigan. They were such a powerhouse once.

John the Libertarian on November 6, 2011 at 1:01 AM

Did you see the play on the line of scrimmage; wow.. Some great football took place up front with the big guys.

Stanford moved up in my opinion as I think they could compete with either of those two after getting my first chance to watch them play yesterday. Stanford vs Oregon will be worthy of a thread Rovin.

Keemo on November 6, 2011 at 7:50 AM

Anybody besides me object to the constant replaying of the “Bama placekicker missing long field goals as if that was the reason the Tide lost? 40 + yard field goals are not gimmes; Alabama didn’t lose because he missed those, they lost because their offense couldn’t score one measley touchdown.

radjah shelduck on November 6, 2011 at 8:26 AM

Incidentally, talk about not living up to the hype. All the scoring on field goals? Ugh.

radjah shelduck on November 6, 2011 at 8:28 AM

radjah shelduck on November 6, 2011 at 8:28 AM

???????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Defensive, low scoring games are ALWAYS the best.

listens2glenn on November 6, 2011 at 10:00 AM

Told you so.

poorrichardsnews on November 6, 2011 at 12:32 AM

In a binary system you can add it to your stats.

Non-binary yes, LSU won, but I’m still not completely sure that win qualifies as “no home field advantage” for Alabama. Single digits, no TDs, LSU trailing, and an OT loss to a field goal when playing the #1 team using an inexperienced sophomore QB shows there was some home advantage. Unless you’re saying McCarron is so talented that LSU was only good enough to keep him in check through the entire game. :)

(I don’t think he is, btw. I’m just making a point.)

It was a good game, though, even though I didn’t get some of Bama’s field management this time. Saban’s smarter than me, but still.

Thankfully no one got hurt too badly over petty nastiness and bad sportsmanship. I didn’t put that in my 4:49 post just for fun.

radjah shelduck on November 6, 2011 at 8:28 AM

I think that was why it did live up to it, but I’m the kind of guy who likes three point shots over dunks in a basketball game, too.

Off to church.