Green Room

Amazing: MSNBC hosts suggest Rick Perry drug use, drinking

posted at 10:10 am on October 31, 2011 by

I love a good snarky rejoinder in political commentary as much as, if not more so, than most people. I engage in it all the time myself. But even I was set back on my heels this morning while watching Morning Joe on MSNBC. They started off by playing a rather choppily edited clip of presidential candidate Rick Perry speaking in New Hampshire. I’ll be the first to admit, it was a different look at Perry than we normally see. He was cracking jokes, doing imitations of the other candidates and having a bunch of laughs. (As was the audience.) But that’s when things took a turn for the bizarre.

Joe, Willie Geist and Mika were joined by Time Magazine’s Mark Halperin, as well as a remote appearance by Robert Costa of National Review. Seemingly out of nowhere, Halperin brought up the issue that Perry “suffers from back pain” which immediately resulted in the crew breaking out in a series of jokes about people who dabble in pain medication mixed with alcohol. It’s frequently a running joke on the show that Mika has had some experience with taking vodka and painkillers, so they asked her to list some of her favorites. They continued to imply – without directly stating it – that this was what was going on with Rick Perry.

Unfortuantely that first portion is not showing up on the MSNBC web site, (I wonder why) but they did put up the clip of the exchange taking place during the next segment. It includes some additional inferences followed by Mika making a rather blunt supposition.

Visit msnbc.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

Transcribed portion begins at the 3 minute mark, but watch the whole thing.

Joe Scarborough: He had a good time. He had a good… time.
Mika Brzezinski: Exhausting, grueling work… campaigning.
Joe: To quote the Nora Ephron line…
Mika: … he’s very tired.
Joe: .. I will have what he’s having.
Mika: I have what he’s having.
Mark Halperin: What’s that cocktail again? What was that?
Mika: Adavan and… No, we joke, but I have to say, it comes to mind. That’s all. It just seems a little…
Joe: Listen
Halperin: What’s your favorite cocktail again, Mika? What’s the three?
Mika: Now stop it… what did I say?
Joe: I don’t know, but I’ll tell you what my cocktail was when I had severe back pain and couldn’t walk for four months. Valium, Vicodin, just a little bit of vodka just to wash it down until my doctor said ‘don’t do that.’
Robert Costa: I don’t think it’s right to hint that he’s using drugs. I think the guy was just having a little fun.
Joe: No, no, no, I’m not talking about … I’m not saying he was using drugs. I’m saying I was.
Mika: It just… makes you think. That’s all. I’m sorry…
Joe: It makes you think that he was having a good time.
Mika: Really loopy. Really loopy.
Joe: Come on now. There’s no law against having a good time.
Costa: None at all
Mika: There’s no law against thinking somebody was acting completely loopy and wondering if they were maybe… drunk.

The preceding segment, as I indicated, was even more blatant, but this one is shocking enough. I don’t know what Rick Perry had for dinner or beverages in New Hampshire prior to that, nor do I know anything about his current medical condition. But I would hazard a guess and say that none of the people on this panel did either. To come out and just begin inferring that a presidential candidate was drunk and/or using prescription pain medication based on one truncated video clip is pretty bad.

I would hope that MSNBC will either produce some proof of these allegations or have Brzezinski and friends pony up an apology.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

don’t hold your breath that msdnc will retract anything these idiots say or do…

cmsinaz on October 31, 2011 at 10:23 AM

It’s now well documented that JFK, the liberal standard bearer, was hopped up on pain meds for his back.

not to mention, Dear Liar has admitted to pot and coke use back in the day, which was not all that back in the day.

rbj on October 31, 2011 at 10:32 AM

Look around Jazz… it isn’t just MSNBC, many others are speculating on this topic.

lexhamfox on October 31, 2011 at 10:51 AM

That is the Rick Perry those of us in Texas know and love/hate.

cozmo on October 31, 2011 at 10:58 AM

Hmmm… Rick Perry is a drug addict, Herman Cain wants to rape women… Who does this benefit?

batterup on October 31, 2011 at 11:21 AM

batterup on October 31, 2011 at 11:21 AM

Don’t forget, Perry is also a racist.

YehuditTX on October 31, 2011 at 11:59 AM

Don’t forget, Perry is also a racist.

YehuditTX on October 31, 2011 at 11:59 AM

I thought Perry was gay and the rock was racist.

cozmo on October 31, 2011 at 12:06 PM

The media are bending over backwards to make sure that no one but Romney gets the nod. Do they have something on him?

“It just… makes you think. That’s all.”

hillbillyjim on October 31, 2011 at 12:37 PM

lexhamfox on October 31, 2011 at 10:51 AM

DU and Daily Kos?

hillbillyjim on October 31, 2011 at 12:38 PM

Really? I’m not sure what the rules are: We can point to a pie-eyed Joe Biden or Max Baucus, but we can’t point out that Perry appeared plastered?

I watched the vid with zero preconceived notions, with no clue as to what it was about or why it was in last night’s QOTD. Without any help from the media I concluded that he was toasted. Why was the video included in the QOTD?

Buy Danish on October 31, 2011 at 1:45 PM

Joe Biden: posted at 11:49 am on August 30, 2008 by Ed Morrissey. Note the You Tube video is titled, Has Joe Biden Been Drinkin?.

Buy Danish on October 31, 2011 at 1:48 PM

Max Baucus: I was totally sober
/posted at 9:14 pm on December 29, 2009 by Allahpundit

Buy Danish on October 31, 2011 at 1:52 PM

Top Pick

Irreligion.

“Felix was out on bond after threatening another public servant and has a history of making threats.”

Chaffetz: House needs housing allowances?

Ed Morrissey Jun 27, 2017 8:41 PM

“There are dozens upon dozens of members living in their offices, and I don’t know how healthy that is long term.”

“This isn’t going to get a lot cheaper, it can’t, it won’t.”

“…what we failed to achieve with votes, we would do with weapons.”

“[S]o dumb it’s amazing we even have to have the conversation.”

“It was not necessary.”

“You’re inflaming everyone right here right now with those words!”

“Trump’s people said, ‘We’ll be writing the speech that the President’s Audio-Animatronic figure will be saying.'”

Excuses, excuses.

Not really a “kill all the lawyers” scenario

4 pm ET!

“it has not taken serious steps to end its own complicity in trafficking, including forced laborers from North Korea.”

Currently doing a search for “good international trade lawyers”

Ransomware attack spreads through Europe

John Sexton Jun 27, 2017 1:01 PM

“A massive ransomware campaign is currently unfolding worldwide.”

At least their address rarely changes

It just keeps on happening

“Trump is good for business right now.”

Start spreading the news…

“Now it’s time for the next step.”

A “cryptic” warning to Bashar al-Assad?

Jazz Shaw Jun 27, 2017 8:01 AM

The three strikes rule may be in effect

CNN reporters resign over retracted story

John Sexton Jun 26, 2017 9:21 PM

“The individuals all stated that they accepted responsibility and wanted to resign.”

Federalism’s greatest champion is now …

Ed Morrissey Jun 26, 2017 8:41 PM

“In the end, we’re a democracy.”

“Almost all controversial speech harms people, upsets or offends them…”

Obama: Back home again in Indonesia

Andrew Malcolm Jun 26, 2017 7:21 PM

The call to prayer and eating dog.

Testing the waters.

“primarily because the penalty for not having insurance would be eliminated.”

“If I were a Seattle lawmaker, I would be thinking hard about the $15 an hour phase-in.”

Days of future past

“Not only are taxpayers footing the bill, but people are dying unnecessarily because of this.”

Israel settles who can stand where at the Western Wall

Andrew Malcolm Jun 26, 2017 3:21 PM

Women to the right, men to the left.

Look on the bright side. There’s less snow in the summer

Big win … but for how long?

“Several Russian cities have unveiled monuments to Stalin in recent months.”

Massive disappointment